LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 04:28 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'd look at the windshield before they install if you want to make sure it's an OEM.
Nah....not worried about it. Not to mention that DOT standards/regs, etc in Canada are different. Fact is, as long as it's as quiet as the original and everything works as expected (rain sensor, etc), I'm good. As I stated earlier, my insurance company gives me a lifetime warranty because I'm using a "preferred" shop.

My appt is for 0900 tomorrow. I'll take pics when I get it back.
Old 03-21-14, 09:39 PM
thegov3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexus4me
can't you upgrade your COMP. to a lower deductible?
Yes, but I have two kids and a wife that drive. One kid has a minor accident. And I have 4 cars and a Harley. The insurance mortage size payment is much easier to swallow with a $1000 deductible.
Old 03-22-14, 07:55 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Got the windshield replaced today. Three hours after I dropped it off, I was driving away. They did an awesome job and replaced 95 dollars worth of Lexus clips to do it properly. Happy to report that the replacement is definitely a Lexus windshield. Total cost of the job was $1512.00 (950 for the windshield and 226 for the labor plus the clips, tax etc). My cost was 200 dollars (deductible).

On another note, the rental co provided me with a '14 Buick Lacrosse. Wow, what a piece of crap. Cheap beyond belief!

Last edited by roadfrog; 03-23-14 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-22-14, 09:44 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice!! glad to hear you got good results on the glass, far as the rental, sounds like you would of been better if with one of those little Fiat cars than the Buick, the old Buicks are still way better.
Old 03-24-14, 04:29 PM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Where do you see the placement of the brand of windshield on the glass? I have reason to believe mine was replaced (a mention in the service report) and the rain detectors do not seem to work.

I am a little confused with the postings above because some say there is no aftermarket windshield. Others imply differently. If there is not an aftermarket, shouldn't the rain detector be connected as OEM replacement spec. if there is an aftermarket, and mine is such and the rain detector did not come with the windshield, how do I see the brand?
Old 03-24-14, 06:33 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
Where do you see the placement of the brand of windshield on the glass? I have reason to believe mine was replaced (a mention in the service report) and the rain detectors do not seem to work.

I am a little confused with the postings above because some say there is no aftermarket windshield. Others imply differently. If there is not an aftermarket, shouldn't the rain detector be connected as OEM replacement spec. if there is an aftermarket, and mine is such and the rain detector did not come with the windshield, how do I see the brand?
The brand should be prominately displayed on the lower corner of the windshield. On the Lexus this is on the driver side. OEM glass will display "ASAHI DOT 20". Asahi of Japan is the manufacturer of Lexus OEM glass. The DOT 20 is a number issued by the Departement of Transportation. The DOT numbers are listed in their document and defines where the glass is manufactured.

It is now very common place for a lot of Chinese glass to be made for the Lexus. Notice that the Asahi was the 20th manufacturer to be listed in the DOT chronogical table. The list has now approached nearly 1000 DOT numbers being used. When I asked for confirmation of the windshield the installer wanted to put in my 04 LS430, the installer checked and found the windshield was identified as DOT 563, which is made by Shenzhen Automotive Glass Manufacturing located in the Peoples Republic of China!

Just google DOT 563 and see what you get. That should give you a clue.
Old 03-25-14, 12:08 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great posts guys! Learn something new everyday
Old 03-25-14, 07:35 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

By the way, the mfg description will be displayed on every window in the car. You can determine if the windshield has been changed to non OEM by just looking at the description of the other windows on the car. Lexus will not CPO a car that does not have an OEM windshield.
Old 03-25-14, 07:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
By the way, the mfg description will be displayed on every window in the car. You can determine if the windshield has been changed to non OEM by just looking at the description of the other windows on the car. Lexus will not CPO a car that does not have an OEM windshield.
So lease returns and trade ins are a problem.
Old 03-25-14, 08:00 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah... I agree. Doesn't make sense. Never heard anything like that before.
Old 03-27-14, 09:33 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

In regards to Jayclaps post above, my new glass is DOT 23 - So apparently it's manufactured by Nippon of Osaka, Japan. Pleasant surprised as I honestly expected an aftermarket Pilkington or something
Old 03-28-14, 05:13 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I do not find a marking of mfg or DOT # anywhere on my windshield. Found some weird nomenclature unrelated to the above, mostly numerical and a few English letters mixed in. Way, way aftermarket???
Old 03-28-14, 06:18 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Fhobbs - A DOT number is required by law in North America. Look again.

Here is the list of DOT codes for all windshields:
http://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db
Old 03-28-14, 08:48 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roadfrog
In regards to Jayclaps post above, my new glass is DOT 23 - So apparently it's manufactured by Nippon of Osaka, Japan. Pleasant surprised as I honestly expected an aftermarket Pilkington or something
While at my Lexus dealer a couple of days ago I looked at the cars and specifically the windows DOTs. Found that after years of using only DOT 20, they have changed suppliers. Saw DOT 23 on a windwhield, but different DOT number on the other windows on that same car.

Also saw a DOT 20, but not ASHIA glass. That was really strange, as DOT numbers are supposed to be issued chronologically. Also was DOT 17.

A few years ago, all of the Lexus models would have had DOT 20 ASHIA glass.
Old 03-28-14, 09:34 AM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, Pilkington isn't bad. It was OEM on some BMWs and Maseratis. Now Nippon Sheet Glass owns Pilkington.

The BMW 3 series uses Fuyao glass from China.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement