LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brand new 09 LS460 - wind noise issue

Old 02-06-16, 11:09 AM
rwg21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I believe that "dull tapping sound" is normal.
To me, its not a tapping sound (if we're speaking about the same sound) its a very faint tap/click that emits only when you apply the brake.
I personally think its a transmitter (im not an electrician-sorry guys) that sounds...once the pedal is depressed, it triggers the brake system to engage and the lights emit.
I did this in my garage in the dark and the sound was simultaneous with the brake lights coming on.
Just my 2 cents.
Its on one side only its odd. i drive several cars and none make a sound like that. it coudl be calper maybe seezing up or somehing on that side. I sent the dealer Jeff-Jum Craney's wind noise solution document.

Old 02-06-16, 11:12 AM
rwg21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Wow.....what would you get that's quieter or "better"? Those are tough to match or better on a Lexus.
My girlfriends 10 thousand dollar honda fits shouldnt have less wind noise than my 70 thosand dollar lexus LS. Jim Craney and thosands others have talked about this issue on the LS. Everytiem someome gets in my car they ask me do I have a window not rolled up all the way.

Old 02-06-16, 11:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by rwg21
My girlfriends 10 thousand dollar honda fits shouldnt have less wind noise than my 70 thosand dollar lexus LS. Jim Craney and thosands others have talked about this issue on the LS. Everytiem someome gets in my car they ask me do I have a window not rolled up all the way.
Well, you must have a bigger issue, because comparing the Fit's 68db to the LS' 62, is a huge difference. On the Honda forums, noise is one of the biggest complaints about the Fit. Consumer Reports went as far as to call it "deafening". Like I said, you may have a bigger problem than the ones reported here.

Jim Craney and thosands others have talked about this issue on the [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]LS

Uh...yes I'm familiar with the wind noise complaint and you can check out my DIY pics and thread where I installed the improved sail panels. You may also want to check to see if you have the acoustic glass installed. Some shops will replace a windshield or side glass and not install the acoustic. After (I Believe) 2009, Lexus used acoustic glass on the side windows and not just the windshield.

Regardless, I was serious when I asked as to what you'd get that's better or quieter than the LS. It wasn't meant as rhetoric.

Last edited by roadfrog; 02-06-16 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-06-16, 12:52 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's kind of funny (and this isn't related), but I THOUGHT I was hearing wind noise on the freeway. It seemed to get louder the faster I went.

It wasn't loud, but noticeable. Well, low and behold, I accidentally turned off my climate control from full auto while on the freeway and it became dead, dead silent. All along it was the blower motor of the AC unit. I honestly couldn't tell the difference and most of the noise was coming from the foot vents I guess. It must be working hard to push that cabin temperature to 76 in the winter. I was kind of shocked how loud it was, relatively speaking, as it's quiet even while going what I suspect is full bore.

However, no climate control and you can hear a mouse fart at 70 MPH and the radio off.
Old 02-07-16, 04:43 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by rwg21
What year is your car? Because you are comparing it to a Civic and calling it an $80,000 dollar car, unless you bought it brand new, it's not an $80,000 dollar car. Not even close. Most people on here - including myself - bought these cars used. And a lot of us paid in the 20's...maybe you did too? I know that for me, I made a choice in that price range between a new (stripped down) Nissan Maxima, a slightly used newer body style Honda Accord, a Chrysler 300 (stripped down), an Infiniti (I don't even remember what the little 4 door crap box was called) and an Avalon with 50,000 miles on it. So far I'd say that not only was the LS460 a good choice, but a downright steal at the $22,000 I paid for it two years ago. Right now you can purchase an 07/08 for around $18,500.

Now I did the wind noise fix, it helped, but it's not perfect...but I easily can put that in perspective to the alternatives...the other cars in my price range, drive, sound and look like toaster ovens. I don't own an 80k dollar car, but for the most part it drives and looks like one.

Yesterday I spent about 2 hours with a BMW factory rep, the first words out of his mouth were...our cars are junk right now, all of them. I Asked him what the problem was, he said they're replacing engines all the time...all of them. Cars just coming in needing engines at 50k miles. They burn oil and BMW - to save money on their "free maintenance" program - extended the oil drain intervals too far...now the engines are junk. They have remedied the situation by reducing the oil change interval in half...just sliced it right in half, but the damage has been done. All these BMW's you see on the road coming off leases, or coming out of warranty are going to be hitting the used car market and people will buy them, not realizing they are purchasing the biggest nightmare they possibly could. I'm glad my LS460 didn't do that to me. I'm glad I can drive mine 600 miles a week and not worry about much of anything.

A little side note, I must have talked to 50 techs yesterday...most of them won't put 0w20 in their cars (I kept hearing, 0w20 is for the public, not for people who know cars) and most of them won't go beyond 7k miles on an oil change. The factory rep owns two BMW's a M5 and a 3 series...300k miles between the both of them ...100 mile daily commute in the M5. He won't go over 5k miles on an oil change.

Last edited by Doublebase; 02-07-16 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-07-16, 06:17 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Wow.....what would you get that's quieter or "better"? Those are tough to match or better on a Lexus.
I think when you compare an LS460/600 that has the wind noise inducing trim defect, to any other car, as to wind noise, then many other cars would be quieter. However, when all is well with the trim, then the LS460/600 is exceptionally quiet and would win in any wind noise contest. A substantial number of the defective cars were sold, all over the world, and many of them are now seeing second and third owners and still have not been repaired. Ignoring the fact that many of these problem cars are still around is shortsighted.

Last edited by jmcraney; 02-07-16 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-07-16, 10:20 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
What year is your car? Because you are comparing it to a Civic and calling it an $80,000 dollar car, unless you bought it brand new, it's not an $80,000 dollar car. Not even close. Most people on here - including myself - bought these cars used. And a lot of us paid in the 20's...maybe you did too? I know that for me, I made a choice in that price range between a new (stripped down) Nissan Maxima, a slightly used newer body style Honda Accord, a Chrysler 300 (stripped down), an Infiniti (I don't even remember what the little 4 door crap box was called) and an Avalon with 50,000 miles on it. So far I'd say that not only was the LS460 a good choice, but a downright steal at the $22,000 I paid for it two years ago. Right now you can purchase an 07/08 for around $18,500.

Now I did the wind noise fix, it helped, but it's not perfect...but I easily can put that in perspective to the alternatives...the other cars in my price range, drive, sound and look like toaster ovens. I don't own an 80k dollar car, but for the most part it drives and looks like one.

Yesterday I spent about 2 hours with a BMW factory rep, the first words out of his mouth were...our cars are junk right now, all of them. I Asked him what the problem was, he said they're replacing engines all the time...all of them. Cars just coming in needing engines at 50k miles. They burn oil and BMW - to save money on their "free maintenance" program - extended the oil drain intervals too far...now the engines are junk. They have remedied the situation by reducing the oil change interval in half...just sliced it right in half, but the damage has been done. All these BMW's you see on the road coming off leases, or coming out of warranty are going to be hitting the used car market and people will buy them, not realizing they are purchasing the biggest nightmare they possibly could. I'm glad my LS460 didn't do that to me. I'm glad I can drive mine 600 miles a week and not worry about much of anything.

A little side note, I must have talked to 50 techs yesterday...most of them won't put 0w20 in their cars (I kept hearing, 0w20 is for the public, not for people who know cars) and most of them won't go beyond 7k miles on an oil change. The factory rep owns two BMW's a M5 and a 3 series...300k miles between the both of them ...100 mile daily commute in the M5. He won't go over 5k miles on an oil change.
Wow that is great to hear! A friend at work just test drove a CPO 12 7-series yesterday, liked it but didn't like the nonsense once it gets out of warranty...this just adds to the reason why he shouldn't have proceeded anyway..
Old 02-07-16, 10:28 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Wow that is great to hear! A friend at work just test drove a CPO 12 7-series yesterday, liked it but didn't like the nonsense once it gets out of warranty...this just adds to the reason why he shouldn't have proceeded anyway..
A couple other interesting tidbits regarding BMW, they are telling their techs to overfill them at oil changes because they know they are going to run low. And the chains are stretching - they of course are doing everything to rememedy their problems without actually fixing anything...computer reflashes, changing oil intervals, etc.
Old 02-07-16, 11:47 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

What say you about just road/outside noise? My wind Noise is very much gone after the fixes. But i swear just the noise of passing cars and such filters in. I don't think i heard that much from my old LS400.

I have tire noise but i get that and may change tires soon.

I have treated all the rubber around the doors and windows they seem like new now. The glass is Lamisafe.

Am i being picky or is that noise the norm???

Thx

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I think when you compare an LS460/600 that has the wind noise inducing trim defect, to any other car, as to wind noise, then many other cars would be quieter. However, when all is well with the trim, then the LS460/600 is exceptionally quiet and would win in any wind noise contest. A substantial number of the defective cars were sold, all over the world, and many of them are now seeing second and third owners and still have not been repaired. Ignoring the fact that many of these problem cars are still around is shortsighted.
Old 02-08-16, 07:26 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I enjoyed reading this thread from the beginning. All the Lexus "promises" about the wind repair never surfaced through corporate. JM's repair seems to be the best solution. I will never forget the test drive I took before I bought my 08. It was raining and windy. As we pulled out on the main drag, I would occasionally hear shifts of wind on my side. I asked the sales dude about it and he had absolutely no clue. Of course this was a Toyota dealership so why would he know. In any event, I bought the car because, A. it was truly amazing in every way. B. The price was right. and C. They gave me good money on my LS430. I still occasionally hear a burst of wind from time to time, but it's nothing concerning. One day I may get brave and try the triangle fix. I have a feeling that could remedy the problem. Right now, it's good just the way it is.