LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Pulled Over due to Limo Tint All around?

Old 12-07-08, 05:13 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled Over due to Limo Tint All around?

Anyone been pulled over for having Limo Tint all around on your LS? Back in the day 'college' I got pulled over all the time and had limo all around but never got cited for having black on the drivers windows. We went with the full Tint on our LSL - Its the White car and I think the Limo Tint makes the White really POP. Problem is that as much as I love the looks this is the Wife's drive and she is a bit concerned about getting pulled over.

Had to sign a Waver when we purchased our car saying we knew that this level of Tint was not Legal in CA -
Old 12-07-08, 05:39 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have limo but I have 20% (with 12% on the rear) and I haven't been stopped. Same with my Range Rover.

I have a theory that the officers make a judgement on any given car and a nicer car (with stock rims) are less likely to get pulled over. If my car was modified I know that they would pull me over more.

Just a theory.
Old 12-08-08, 12:17 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

They have a tint meter around here and you would be stopped and cited...

Craig
Old 12-08-08, 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well it really depends on your luck. i have friends with limo tint and never had problems, but i also know people otherwise... if you are just driving it stock, i think it's probably "ok"
Old 12-08-08, 12:45 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Wife's car other than Chrome wheels - it will stay 100 stock. Guess worst case could take off the tint on the front - but keep it as is and hope for the "luck" - just looks so much nicer with full tint imo.
Old 12-08-08, 12:48 PM
slybydesig
Rookie

I think no matter what kind of car has illegal tints in CA, you would most likely get pulled over in certain areas which have heavier police traffic. I have noticed on certain neighborhoods that people get pulled over more then others.
Old 12-08-08, 01:38 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

doesn't have to be limo tint to be pulled over in CA.

gotta pay to play...
Old 12-08-08, 06:53 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The CHP stopped me while driving my GS400, which had a 30% tint on the five windows. There was no other infraction and fortunately, the officer didn't walk around to the front of the car where he would have noticed the missing front plate.

In California, the fine is determined by the city the ticket is issued in, even though I was on the freeway at the time. You are not required to remove the tinting, just pay the fine. You will continue to receive tickets if caught again.
Old 12-09-08, 05:21 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

I actually factor in tint tickets into the cost of the car. I mentally budgeted $1,000 in tint tickets per vehicle (which is just a random number I came up with). When I get one (which I am sure I eventually will) I will pay the ticket and keep rolling

If I exceed that amount in one vehicle I might have to do something about it.
Old 12-09-08, 10:20 AM
terrain
Pole Position

Nice,

I think my wife will have a much better time getting out of a tint ticket than I would so we will try out luck. So if she gets stopped not only does she have to worry about Tint ticket she also will have to talk her way out of the front plate ticket....

Originally Posted by luxury1
I actually factor in tint tickets into the cost of the car. I mentally budgeted $1,000 in tint tickets per vehicle (which is just a random number I came up with). When I get one (which I am sure I eventually will) I will pay the ticket and keep rolling

If I exceed that amount in one vehicle I might have to do something about it.

Last edited by terrain; 12-09-08 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-09-08, 02:09 PM
dc935
Rookie

I had limo tint before on a few cars, but found it impossible to drive at night Now i run as dark as possible on my cars while still being able to see at night (20%), but on the LS went conservative (35%). Id love to drop the front plate too, but cops here in NoVA are brutal. Ive gotten tint and plate violations, but dont want her to have to deal with the hassle on the LS.
Old 12-09-08, 02:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dc935
I had limo tint before on a few cars, but found it impossible to drive at night Now i run as dark as possible on my cars while still being able to see at night (20%), but on the LS went conservative (35%). Id love to drop the front plate too, but cops here in NoVA are brutal. Ive gotten tint and plate violations, but dont want her to have to deal with the hassle on the LS.
same here. i just tell myself people with limo tint they have exceptional eyesight. i drove my friend's car with limo tint all around at night and i couldn't even see turns clearly
Old 12-09-08, 04:45 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if the tint policy applies to the rear and side window retractable shades?

I use them from time to time when the sunlight is blinding from the rear or the back sides.

HBH
Old 12-09-08, 06:16 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Helmar
I wonder if the tint policy applies to the rear and side window retractable shades?

I use them from time to time when the sunlight is blinding from the rear or the back sides.

HBH
Sunshades will not be a problem.
Old 12-09-08, 06:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

plus, is there a state that doesn't allow any tint in the rear side and rear window? no right? that means if you want you can ever spray paint the windows. it's the front windshield and front sides that have limitation in some states

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulled Over due to Limo Tint All around?