LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Engine Air filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 10:44 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcarroll2
Well ****... I guess I'll be replacing them next year. I also bought the cabin filter. ANyone have any experience with that filter?

Thanks for the link to the issues about K&N filters.

Tom
WATCH OUT! Improper installation of cabin air filter can be VERY expensive. Search for how to do it properly.
Old 08-09-16, 12:07 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I use these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AF5786-Engin...dTFCc3&vxp=mtr

Theyre only about 8 bucks apiece. If you insist on Genuine Toyota parts, they can be had for about 45 bucks for two on Ebay as well.

As for K&N, I can attest that they are not a good choice for day to day street driven vehicles. There are lots of stories, reviews and tests that will make you think twice about using them. Personally, I used them on my F350 diesel back in the day. After a Blackstone Labs oil analysis, they advised me that I had high levels of silica (sand) in my oil. This confirmed reports that K&N filters could increase particles getting past the filters and into the engine. I switched back to paper filters and never had that problem again. The other issues commonly seen with K&N (and other similarily designed filters is failure of MAF sensors due to the oil in the filters.
Awesome deal! Ordered two today for around $17 shipped. Unbeatable price for essentially the same filter as OEM. Thanks so much for sharing this; saved me a ton of dough
Old 08-09-16, 07:38 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by droclex
Awesome deal! Ordered two today for around $17 shipped. Unbeatable price for essentially the same filter as OEM. Thanks so much for sharing this; saved me a ton of dough
Good to hear!
Old 03-01-17, 02:26 AM
Spartan8
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the tip roadfrog! 15 bucks and free shipping to my garage door - that's a great deal - and it's good to hear you've had luck with the filter. Now I've got more money to spend elsewhere on the vehicle!
Old 03-01-17, 08:26 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spartan8
Thanks for the tip roadfrog! 15 bucks and free shipping to my garage door - that's a great deal - and it's good to hear you've had luck with the filter. Now I've got more money to spend elsewhere on the vehicle!
You're welcome! Just remember to make sure that your HVAC is set to "recirc" when you replace the cabin filter, or you may be spending that extra cash on repairs!
Old 03-01-17, 02:09 PM
cschmatz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How would you know if you messed something up with the HVAC when replacing the cabin filter?
Old 03-01-17, 08:22 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For the Engine Air Filter I use Denso 143-3022
Old 03-02-17, 12:54 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by cschmatz
How would you know if you messed something up with the HVAC when replacing the cabin filter?
If you do not set your A/C to recirculate before attempting to replace the cabin filter, the recirculate door will block your access to the filter. Now, it looks as though you can simply lift up on the door to access the filter, but the door is connected to a moving arm. If you force the door open it will either A) break the arm and cost a ton to replace, or B) disconnect from the arm (best case scenario). Once this happens, the A/C will reset itself every time you turn the car off/on.

I noticed the A/C reset issue after I bought mine last month, did some digging around here, and was thrilled to find that mine has simply disconnected. Dealerships will quote $1700+ for repairs but it only took me 20 minutes and 3 tools to correct the issue myself.
Old 03-02-17, 03:53 PM
cschmatz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if the door is moving up and down when the recirculate button is pressed there's no issue?
Old 03-02-17, 04:26 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cschmatz
So if the door is moving up and down when the recirculate button is pressed there's no issue?
Yep...you should be fine....unless you hear some ungodly sound coming from the blend door.
Old 03-03-17, 07:41 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Correct, shot this little video after I fixed mine.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/..._120707641.mp4

Edit: Nvm, don't think the photobucket link is working for some reason
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (05-07-17)
Old 05-07-17, 06:58 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
If you do not set your A/C to recirculate before attempting to replace the cabin filter, the recirculate door will block your access to the filter. Now, it looks as though you can simply lift up on the door to access the filter, but the door is connected to a moving arm. If you force the door open it will either A) break the arm and cost a ton to replace, or B) disconnect from the arm (best case scenario). Once this happens, the A/C will reset itself every time you turn the car off/on.

I noticed the A/C reset issue after I bought mine last month, did some digging around here, and was thrilled to find that mine has simply disconnected. Dealerships will quote $1700+ for repairs but it only took me 20 minutes and 3 tools to correct the issue myself.
Yea, same issue here... I have to pop off the glove box myself. I can hear the clicking behind the dash. It's broken off, or just disconnected. If it's broken, I am sure I can get some J&B weld stuff that I can recreate the part (unless it's totally shot), a friend has a 3-d printer if that is even possible to "re-create the part"

I have a saggy glove box too, so kill 2 birds with one stone... Maybe in a few weeks.. It's not that I am worried about doing it, it's just the TIME to do it.. Not a project I want to do during the week, I want to do it on a weekend so I have 4-5 hours if needed.

Crossing fingers and toes that it just "popped off" as the whole thing should not take me more than 2 hours..
Old 04-11-18, 01:15 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the info. The instructions were super easy. I went with the Toyota made ones since reviews on amazon for the third party ones had mentioned fitment issues.
Old 04-12-18, 08:23 PM
kingbabar
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigsherv
Thanks for the info. The instructions were super easy. I went with the Toyota made ones since reviews on amazon for the third party ones had mentioned fitment issues.

Care to share which ones you bought? Thanks!
Old 04-12-18, 08:55 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

The OE Lexus ones made by Toyota. You need two of them.

Quick Reply: LS460 Engine Air filter