LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How far can the LS460 go w/o the key being present

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 07:27 PM
gcam77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How far can the LS460 go w/o the key being present

Today I took my car to the car wash and while they were vacuuming the car I went across the road to the corner store, while in the corner I realized I still had the key in my pocket, I ran back to the car wash knowing that they r gonna need to move the car, when I got there they had already moved the car. This made me wonder how far can the car be driven without the key being present? Can anyone can shed some light?

Last edited by gcam77; 08-04-08 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-04-08, 08:07 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I think they just never turned the car off - you were too far away for them to be able to restart it if they had turned it off. A lot of car washes see the keyless start feature and just don't turn the car off.

Dave Mac
Old 08-04-08, 09:02 PM
Patric
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I think they just never turned the car off - you were too far away for them to be able to restart it if they had turned it off.

So under that circumstance if someone decided to make off with the car they could keep going until they ran out of gas?

I would like to think the motor would shut off after reaching a certain distance between the proximity device and the car but perhaps thats not the case.
Old 08-05-08, 03:22 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

It can go as much gas you have in the tank.
Old 08-05-08, 07:33 AM
garyr
Pole Position

It's actually a good thing, twice now my wife in her car and mine with key less have stopped somewhere and the other jumps over and drives away forgetting the other has the key.

It will run for as long as the car is not shut off.
Old 08-05-08, 07:39 AM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey no to but in but i had the same experience at my mechanic. And i have a 430! So you mean to tell me if i'm not in it the car and somone just jumps in it will just RUN til its outta gas?
Old 08-05-08, 07:59 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

That's right - the car will run until the tank is empty. The smart key only starts the car, it doesn't keep it running. I don't even think someone can start the car if the holder of the smart key is standing just outside of the car.

Dave Mac
Old 08-05-08, 10:12 AM
MythBuster
Driver

I did not understand this "out of gas" thing

does it mean the gas door will not open from inside while the engine is running and the key is not detected.

A more accurate answer is that the car will run until the engine is turned off, because if some one stole the car he will refuel.

Actually I don't understand the point of the thread.

I mean do we expect the engine to trip if the electronics could not detect the key. If yes wouldn't that be dangerous?
Old 08-05-08, 10:34 AM
garyr
Pole Position

MythBuster, I was told by my dealer (and I'm sure others here) that if I went into a say a gas station and left the car running for a second while standing outside, if someone jumped in the car and drove off (my Lexus trained dealer said) the car would shut off in a few blocks or less so someone could not steal it. We know now that is simply not true.

Who knows but if the car were never shut off it may run forever without the electronic key. I would just take a guess and say the fuel door would open. It's also possible the car does shut off after a certain time frame? wHAT WE DO KNOW IS WHAT THE DEALER TOLD ME IS INACCURATE.

I felt great knowing I could let the car run, letting the air or heat run in the car keeping it comfortable while I ran into a convenience store for a minute knowing my car could not be stolen because I had the electronic key, but that is simply not true.

I'm going to answer the next post because I don't feel like hearing about it; why would you keep your engine running and not be in the car, thats unsafe, irresponsible, negligent and just plan dumb.
Old 08-05-08, 10:40 AM
MythBuster
Driver

I'm going to answer the next post because I don't feel like hearing about it; why would you keep your engine running and not be in the car, thats unsafe, irresponsible, negligent and just plan dumb.
you burned my cards
Old 08-05-08, 10:43 AM
MythBuster
Driver

But to my knowledge nothing shuts the engine off including high temperature and low oil level which will damage the engine.
Old 08-05-08, 11:39 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It follows then that if the key-less operator (thief or otherwise) refuels the car before it runs out of gas, the car can travel for a very long time and distance indeed...
Old 08-05-08, 11:57 AM
MythBuster
Driver

Sorry about this (my 4th post) but I still did not make my point

If we think of the other side, Lexus will be liable if the electronics blipped thinking that the key is not inside the car when the key is actually inside the car and requested engine to trip. Depending how fast you were driving when the engine trips you could have a serious accident.

Nobody in his right mind will design a car where the engine trips if undesired situation is discovered.

It is easier for Lexus to hold you responsible for not shutting the engine rather than the driver hold them responsible for having a fatal accident because the engine triped unexpectedly.
Old 08-05-08, 12:40 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is one of those things with the SmartAccess system and the LS quiet engine, which has led to some drivers parking their car at the supermarket, going shopping, and coming back to realize that they (carelessly) left the engine running. But IIRC the car will not lock if the engine is still on...?
Old 08-05-08, 01:13 PM
LSorBS
Driver

One word:

LoJack

Quick Reply: How far can the LS460 go w/o the key being present