LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rear air conditioner filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 11:33 AM
Webster1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear air conditioner filter

Has anyone replaced this themselves? The front one was a piece of cake but I'm having trouble locating the filter housing in the rear? The owners manual showed it in the trunk but I didn't see it.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-08-08, 12:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just checking, are you sure you have the rear A/C setup that comes with the trunk filter?
Old 06-08-08, 02:14 PM
Webster1
Driver School Candidate

I have the L model and was told at the dealership last week that I needed both filters replaced at $155 each. I bought them online and was just going to replace them myself.

Do all L models have the rear filter or is it just the executive package?

Thank you.
Old 06-08-08, 04:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Webster1
I have the L model and was told at the dealership last week that I needed both filters replaced at $155 each. I bought them online and was just going to replace them myself.

Do all L models have the rear filter or is it just the executive package?

Thank you.
it doesn't need to have exec package, but you need to have rear seats upgrade package i believe.

do you have 4-zone climate control? that's the only case where you will need a rear air filter. if you have 4 zone climate control (meaning you can control the temperature for the rear seats, left and right, independently), and thus a smaller than usual trunk, then look into the trunk, you should be able to find a lid at the back of the trunk lining for the filter
Old 06-08-08, 05:45 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

what about cooled rear seats? where does that aircon come from, the front filter? i dont think you need 4 zone for cooled rear seats
Old 06-08-08, 05:47 PM
Webster1
Driver School Candidate

I don't have that option. Sad that the Lexus dealer put my vin number and information into the computer and still gave me the incorrect info.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-17-17, 11:32 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Rather than creating a new thread for the same topic, I thought I would dredge up a 9 year old thread! Has anyone noticed the difference in cost for the front OEM filter element versus the rear OEM filter?

Front: 87139-50100 = $41.31 (at mylparts.com)

Rear: 87139-50080 = $137.05 (at mylparts.com)

I'm guessing the huge difference is based on some level of additional filtering. I know there is a button on my HVAC and the icon implies filtering. I can't recall what it shows on the HVAC screen, but it is some higher level of filtering. And when activating I can hear the filtered air is coming out in the rear (overhead as I recall). I'm guessing this is the difference and the reason for the higher cost.

Any input? Has anyone purchased this $137 rear cabin filter?

Jason
Old 02-17-17, 11:56 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

It's call the "Micro dust and pollen filter." I suppose this is not on every LS. And that must be the more expensive rear filter. Ey?

See the red highlighted button below.

Old 02-17-17, 04:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

LOL!! 42 bucks for a cabin filter?! I pay about 4 bucks for a charcoal/carbon filter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-quality-Cabin-Air-Filter-for-Toyota-Lexus-Subaru-Scion-OE-87139-YZZ08-/331712136499?fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3ALS460&hash=item4d3b958533:g:RPsAAOSwcUBYU-PM&vxp=mtr

If this were a filter that the engine was dependant on, then investing a bit more for "peace of mind" might sway me.....but not for a filter that MIGHT make me sneeze less

Last edited by roadfrog; 02-17-17 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 05:16 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Oh for sure. I'm in agreement with you. But I wonder if there is any fitment issues with that rear one ... or if it is the same size as the front one.
Old 02-18-17, 05:35 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
LOL!! 42 bucks for a cabin filter?! I pay about 4 bucks for a charcoal/carbon filter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-quality-Cabin-Air-Filter-for-Toyota-Lexus-Subaru-Scion-OE-87139-YZZ08-/331712136499?fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3ALS460&hash=item4d3b958533:g:RPsAAOSwcUBYU-PM&vxp=mtr

If this were a filter that the engine was dependant on, then investing a bit more for "peace of mind" might sway me.....but not for a filter that MIGHT make me sneeze less
no my friend, the cabin filter is just as important as the engine filter, your health is at stake with a poor filter
Old 02-18-17, 08:49 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
no my friend, the cabin filter is just as important as the engine filter, your health is at stake with a poor filter
Not sure if you're serious or just messing with me. Haha...so all those cars (current and past) that I drove/drive have taken years off of my life? The convertibles being driven, motorcycles, sunroof open, windows open, etc are slowly killing me? Does every car you drive have a pollen filter? When you get out of your car and walk around, that air your car was filtering is now being breathed unfiltered.

Keep in mind that the filter I referred to is a carbon filter which is a step up from the standard paper filter you're car came with. But.....if you are determined to use an OEM one, those are also available for a fraction of the price Lexus quotes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-OEM-F...BV3jmQ&vxp=mtr
Old 02-18-17, 01:12 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

I just went and pulled my rear AC filter from inside the trunk and while it is a carbon filter it does not have any numbers on it. It does say DSL. I thought for sure Lexus of Omaha changed it when I had my 30,000 service done back in Jul of 14 but I cannot find a parts number for it. I see a 00019R service for Replace Cabin Air Filter and I see only 1 air-refiner filter charge for $51.00. When I replaced the cabin filter last August I ordered it from Rockauto and it cost me $10.04. We almost never have the rear AC on as the only time someone is ridding in the rear is to go to lunch a couple times a year when we are in Nebraska.

Dennis
Old 02-20-17, 08:58 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

I'm going to be honest here. I'm hung up on my thinking on this. While I don't think buying the OEM air filters are necessary, or maybe even justified, I just feel like the car is nice / valuable enough to go back with at least decent filters. I don't want to put just some ole cheap piece of junk in there. But $137 for a "carbon" air filter isn't going to happen. But since I have the rear A/C option, and the rear is supposed to be a micro dust and pollen filter, I don't "prefer" to just go back with a plain ole filter either. When I push that button, I want it to actually work "as advertised." Otherwise, it's "telling a lie." For some reason, that concerns me. It's like ... putting a 5.0 emblem on a 4 cylinder turd of a Mustang. I could never do that.

I'm going to pull that filter out, check the size (compared with the front one), and then likely replace the rear one with a carbon type filter, so it's a least not being inaccurate (compared to what the original design intends. There's been a time or 3 when I've smelled something from outside that I didn't want to smell, and pushed that button and the smell quickly has gone away. I do like that.

Jason
Old 02-20-17, 12:41 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

Jason

Let us know if you find the right filter other than at the dealership. The make and model number if you would please. I know it is a different size than the front.

Dennis

Quick Reply: Rear air conditioner filter