LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 05:11 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Hi Jeff! There are tree reasons why I hesitate to try out your new and improved method. First of all, I really have a hard time removing the old sealant from the back of the plastic trim and also from the metal portion (including the gaps) on the triangle. It seems like it takes me forever. Maybe I forgot and I really don't need to remove the old sealant. Is that possible? To me, it makes sense that the old should be removed to get the good results. The second reason I hesitate to try it is because I am quite pleased with the original fix (I actually did the original fix twice. The first time I did not apply enough sealant.). I guess there is a third reason since I fall into the category of not being very handy. I hate to try and secure the sheet metal and then cut it to size. I guess I am "chicken little". .

Just so that everyone knows, you and I have communicated by email. But I thought I would post my thinking here in case I am one of many that have had similar experiences and concerns.

Bro your not the only one who tried the fix at post #9. I did the fix three times.

Twice using the old procedure with no success.
-1st attempt: i removed the whole window frame, done by labour from lexus ( No success!)
-2nd attempt: i only removed the triangle trim, done by myself ( No success!)
Once using the new procedure:
-3rd attempt: One time using the new procedure , done by myself( 100 % guaranteed Success ).

I did the new procedure to my friends car after he was pleased with the results of my car and he mentioned he no longer hears any windnoise.

+ if you have done it twice you wont find it difficult. you got the whole procedure now !

Regarding the scraping and cleaning process of the triangle trim ( I agree with you ) , get a new one and save yourself time scraping. The cleaning process on the triangle trim takes much more time than cleaning the car frame.

Are you afraid that he will leave you if you insist that the procedure doesnt work. Ask me !! Mcraney aint a quitter. Hes sharing what he experiments first on his car and gives it out for free !!!

Frankly speaking He’s a great guy and really brilliant.
Most importantly, Mcraney I am impressed by the fact that you have developed the old procedure. At this stage, there is nothing else for me but to thank you.I am certain that I am also speaking in the name of all LS 460 owners.
Old 01-03-09, 10:21 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uae
Bro your not the only one who tried the fix at post #9. I did the fix three times.

-1st attempt: i removed the whole window frame, done by labour from lexus ( No success!)
-3rd attempt: One time using the new procedure , done by myself( 100 % guaranteed Success ).

I did the new procedure to my friends car after he was pleased with the results of my car and he mentioned he no longer hears any windnoise.

+ if you have done it twice you wont find it difficult. you got the whole procedure now !

Regarding the scraping and cleaning process of the triangle trim ( I agree with you ) , get a new one and save yourself time scraping. The cleaning process on the triangle trim takes much more time than cleaning the car frame.

Are you afraid that he will leave you if you insist that the procedure doesnt work. Ask me !! Mcraney aint a quitter. Hes sharing what he experiments first on his car and gives it out for free !!!

Most importantly, Mcraney I am impressed by the fact that you have developed the old procedure. At this stage, there is nothing else for me but to thank you.I am certain that I am also speaking in the name of all LS 460 owners.

Thanks for the advice uae. The major reason I am not attemting the new revised fix is because I am quite pleased with my second attempt of the original fix by jmcraney. About all the wind noise I hear now is a faint whisper of a noise and only when there is significant wind blowing outside. If the wind noise increases, I will definitely try the new fix. But I am just not motivated enough right now. BTW, how easy is it to get a new trim? It is definitely a pain in the rear to scrape off all the old sealant.

I am in total agreement about jmcraney and I have told him so myself. He is a great human being who loves to help others with their troubles.
Old 01-04-09, 09:38 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

In the UAE , you can hardly get the black trim itself.I flipped the black trim on the floor and scrapped , i even forgot that the outer surface is smooth and would get scratched , I had to order the whole window frame in order to get the black trim which i dont need ( thats the way it is here ! ). I am having it sent from USA. Im pretty sure if you go to any toyota parts in the US , the will be able to provide you one.

Last edited by uae; 01-05-09 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-04-09, 01:39 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rone1
For the "Fix" I used your old instructions from post #9. Just curious why you decided to improve your fix. Did you notice additional noise?

I tried the previous procedure Twice ( Post # 9 ) and it didnt work for me . Seems the old procedure is so sensitive in terms of how much sealant is used for the repair process. The second rulez.
Old 01-04-09, 09:02 PM
rone1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update to Fix used in post 9. Road noise significantly reduced. I still hear wind noise depending on certain road conditions, (driver side). I am going to order new triangle piece and will retry fix using the new method. I will attempt to remove old silicone from car and use the new piece with the patch.
Old 01-05-09, 08:38 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

The real credit belongs to all the "Posters" who have shared their experiences in dealing with the LS wind noise issue. Those who have shared their success stories with us have provided help to many. The people who have shared with us, in great detail, their success after multiple attempts have been especially helpful. "PatsSoxfan" was an early implementor, back when there weren't many reports of success and he had to do his over. Much to his credit he tried again and got good results. "uae" was faced with a language barrier and no Walmart or Home Depot down the street, but due to his tenacity he fixed his car and was able to help his friend. The desperation of having the extreme wind noise problem causes some people, me included, to not give up easily. Thanks to "PatsSoxfan" and "uae" for all the feedback and details they have provided.

The main point I think is that if you have tried and been successful, good for you. If you have tried the repair and it was not successful or marginally successful, or you had your dealer do the repair and there was no improvement you should try one of the two methods again. The second method has very high odds of success. The first method can produce perfect results too but you might have to try several times and it can be a little messy. I know it is hard for some people to buy into this fix because it is sort of like killing an elephant with a fly swatter - it is hard to believe that you can get such a drastic improvement for so little effort.

I need to be philosophical here and remind you that this ain't rocket science - this is very low tech. There are two things you are trying to do, stop up those holes and have a pristine appearance when you finish. If you are doing the repair for the first time you don't have to worry too much about getting all the old mounting tape off, just get off any that is loose, the sealant will stick to the old tape OK. If you are redoing the repair, you don't need to worry about getting all the old sealant off, the new sealant will stick to the old sealant, so just make sure that you get all the holes closed. To get a pristine appearance when you finish, you need to make sure that none of the old tape or sealant is going to prevent the trim from being positioned properly when you apply it and that none of the old sealant is going to show. You can do a dry-fit to make sure there are no obstructions. When you stick the trim on, the sealant can be pressed out very thin if necessary. You can make a good tool for getting the old sealant and tape off by taking a wooden paint stir stick and sharpening the end into a chisel shape, it will not damage your car. If you have some concern about the trim coming loose, you need to remember that it is not a safety issue, it will not affect how your car drives and it is not much of a road hazard threat to your car or other cars. You just buy a new piece, it is not expensive and it is readily available - I will tell you how to get new trim in a subsequent post. A word of caution about sealant: the sealant can go bad in about two months in tubes that have been opened and about two years in unopened tubes. You need to test your sealant by squirting out a little on a piece of cardboard and letting it dry for about six hours. If it is firm and not sticky then it is OK. If you use bad sealant it creates a terrible mess and the cleanup is very difficult.

The recent inputs from "topgun04" and "rone1" and "Vi-Tuyen" are very noteworthy.

"topgun04" recently acquired his car, figured out he had a wind noise problem, sought help from his dealer and moved on, and did a successful DIY wind noise repair and provided us some very useful feedback in just a few weeks. He is conspicuously, as his user ID implies, someone who knows how to make a decision. My decision making process is more toward the "Indecision Is The Key To Flexibility" philosophy.

"rone1" has repaired his car after long suffering. I know that he will enjoy the improvement. It is sort of like getting a new car. I fixed mine eight months ago and I still notice, every time I drive it, how quiet it is.

"Vi-Tuyen" has been actively pursuing a fix through the dealer and Lexus since March 08. You can see, by reading Post #429, that Lexus remains confused about this problem. During a recent visit to my dealer I was discussing the wind noise problem with the Customer Relations rep and he mentioned that rumors were that Lexus was working on some sort of wind deflector for the windshield molding as a wind noise fix. That sort of fits in with the post by "Vi-Tuyen."

Last edited by jmcraney; 01-10-09 at 02:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-05-09, 10:27 AM
jmcraney

Default Buying New Triangle Trim

I recently had occasion to buy the two triangle trim pieces to send to "uae" (his trim was scratched during one of his repair attempts) and I want to share some things that I learned during that exercise.

You can probably order the parts from any Toyota dealer. I bought the trim from Park Place Lexus in Plano.

The Part Nos. are:
67495-50020 for the passenger's side
67496-50020 for the driver's side

Each piece cost $12.89 +sales tax

If you want to order these over the Internet, go to the following site and enter the PNs where it says "Search by Part Number or Keyword." The cost for both pieces, delivered via UPS Ground is about $36.50

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...d=213808&year=

The new parts looked very much like the ones that came on my 07 LS460 and also like those pictured in Post #175 in this discussion thread.

Since these parts will be applied in a repair like the second technique I suggested, I removed the mounting tape, gasket, and registration pins. I found something interesting in that process - sort of like a Destructive Physical Analysis for you engineers - that anyone planning to use new trim parts should know about. Even though it is not absolutely necessary to get the tape off I decided to do that anyway. I had anticipated some effort getting the tape and residue off because the tape on the parts that came on my car were very firmly attached to the trim, although it had partially separated from the car and that was what was causing the original problem on my car. The mounting tape on the new pieces, both the triangle shaped piece and the white vertical strip farther aft, were very easy to get off. In my opinion it is very likely that the tape would separate from the trim if those parts had been applied to a car. Earlier in this discussion I suggested that just replacing the triangle trim pieces with new parts might be a good solution for those who are "goop-averse" but now I realize that might not be a very good solution.

For any of you who are thinking about new parts, there isn't much to be gained unless their exterior appearance is marred.
Old 01-06-09, 05:20 AM
jmcraney

Default 2007 LS460(swb) Lamisafe Window Retrofit

It is my understanding that all 07 LS460Ls, 08 LS460s above VIN break JTHBL46F985056194, all 08 LS460Ls, all 08 LS600HLs came with the "Lamisafe" glass and that all 09 LSs are equipped with it too.

As I understand it, only the 07 LS460s (swb) and 08 LS460s (swb) up to VIN break JTHBL46F985056194 came without the thick glass and that Lexus will install it, no charge, for anyone who asks for it. You might have to say the magic "wind noise" words to get it free.

I can not tell you if this is effective as far as the wind noise. I had my windows changed before I did the triangle trim fix and I could not distinguish any improvement. When you have two noise sources it is difficult to tell if you are getting any improvement until the last one is fixed.

During my wind noise experience, Lexus was suggesting that I try the LS460L because it had the thick windows and no wind noise problem. All the while they were doing wind-noise-buybacks on many 07 LS460Ls I found out later.

Here is a way to check to see if your car has been retrofitted:
Attached Thumbnails LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)-lamisafe-a-.jpg  

Last edited by jmcraney; 10-03-09 at 12:40 PM. Reason: correct misinformation regarding glass change in some 08 swb models
Old 01-06-09, 08:09 AM
jmcraney

Default Useful Tools For Wind Noise Fix

These tools might be useful for implementing the wind noise fix.
Attached Thumbnails LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)-tool.jpg  
Old 01-12-09, 01:25 AM
al_WaTaR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uae

Dear mr "uae"

could you please refer to your private msgs and send me your contact number cause i'm from uae and i want you very good help in this if you dont mind. i have LS460L 08

WAITING FOR YOUR KIND REPLY
Old 01-15-09, 06:28 AM
jmcraney

Default LS460 No Charge Wind Noise Option Still Available in 09

I have seen several reports of wind noise in the 2009 LS460s.

Here is a review that was recently posted on Edmunds.com.

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/ls460/2...merreview.html

Quote:
Vehicle
2009 Lexus LS 460 4dr Sedan AWD (4.6L 8cyl 8A)
Review
Everyone who sees the car remarks about the fit & finish. Everything fits together perfectly and works perfectly. While the exterior may share some styling with the Lexus ES, you know you’re driving a top-of-the-line car once you are inside. In contrast to many European rivals, all the controls and buttons are easy to understand. Many of these have adjustable features which can be set by the owner or the dealer (like how long the interior lights stay on after you shut the door.). Actual mileage is 22 MPG, overall.
Favorite Features
The upgraded ML stereo has many nice features like a hard drive to store songs (You can choose MP3 quality or near-CD quality). Rear seat sound quality is excellent, front seat sound is very good.
Suggested Improvements
Lexus could improve on some of the more basic functions: wind noise rushing past the side windows, more supportive seats and better sound quality for front passengers from the ML system.
End Quote

Last edited by jmcraney; 01-15-09 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-15-09, 01:58 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Jeff, this is mind boggling. Why is Lexus being so stubborn when there is such an easy fix that you invented?
Old 01-15-09, 05:45 PM
topgun04
Driver

"Jeff, this is mind boggling. Why is Lexus being so stubborn when there is such an easy fix that you invented? "

I don't think Lexus is stuborn.. It is just a fix that if we apply it, it is easy. But if you put it in a manufacturing environment, it can get quite messy and the result can be very uneve. When I applied the triangle fix, I made a point to open up the triangle as careful as I can to see what is inside of the triangle. What I found is a silicon gasket that generally following the triange fix pattern. also the triangle piece has brush like material forming a line on the veriticle else of the plastic triangle piece. And the long gap that Jmcarney pointed out also has the same brush like material on it.. The intention seems to be filling that long veritical gap with these 2 brush like material.. The design seems to succeed in my passenger door but not driver door.. My wife (she has better ear than me) commented that it is noisy from the dirver side (even though she is sitting in the passenger seat) but quiet from the passenger side.. After applying the fix to both sides, it sound about equal on both seats. My take is that the Lexus design worked in a large extent. However if in the manufacturing process the triangle piece is set too high from the door. The silicon gasket won't close the gap between the metal on the door and the triangle piece and wind noise can rush in between the triangle piece and the silicon gasket (the 2 sides tape that hold the triangle piece in place may not be pressed hard enough in the factory and the gasket did not contact the triangle piece. The gasket dry out and won't stick to the triangle after we pick up our cars and wind just keep rushing in)... Anyway, I like the way the car drive very much now.. I may give the fix #2 a try if I can find a place that sell those metal sheet (homedepot don't seem to carry metal stuff. I know where to find metal cutter...).. I would love to see if it can improve the car further (still heard some fainted wind noise.. just not rushing or bother me .. still the most quiet car in our household and close to the LS430 that we owned before)..
Old 01-15-09, 07:38 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Topgun04, you make a lot of sense. But for those folks that have this wind noise, why do they not put out a formal TSIB with the dealer properly performing Jeff's fix? Surely, they have been made aware of this fix by now, haven't they?
Old 01-15-09, 08:22 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Has anyone had any success by having their service department perform the Jeff Fix? IE - Provide the steps, pic's etc... and ask them to do what Jeff has outlined to fix the problem or at least make it considerably better.

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)