LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-08, 10:20 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Another Wind Noise Buyback On eBay (#9)

Here is another "Wind Noise Buyback" on eBay. This one is a 2007 LS460L VIN JTHGL46F875018220 and this is the 9th one I have found. I think it is noteworthy that I have not found any 2008 - all so far have been 07s - buybacks and that may mean that you "08 wind-noise-owners" may not have any hope for a buyback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...5#ht_26368wt_0

If you don't want to chase the link, here is what it said:

Quote:
This car was a courtesy buyback through the Lexus informal resolution process.The owner complained of wind noise at 80 MPH, Lexus installed new window felt on the drivers window and reacquired the car. You will have all paperwork to this. The warranty (3 years remains in force(as this car was sold in the 08 model year). The Florida title will have a buyback(not lemon) noted.As this liberal policy is not used in other states except CA. the title will have no notation in most states. This is a courtesy offered by Lexus to promote good will. All non conformities are fixed ,and the factory warranty is unaffected in ANY way.Again this not a Lemon car, but a Lexus buyback to promote goodwill with the wind noise fixed(common as the car is so quiet) and the warranty untouched. This car was sold well in the 08 model year, but has a 07 title with a 08 warranty!
End quote
Old 10-31-08, 10:28 AM
jmcraney

Default Wind Noise Is A Multi Year Problem

If you have some doubt about the wind noise occurring in the 08 models, check this one out on Edmunds.com. How does that old adage go? FOOL ME ONCE, SHAME ON YOU! FOOL ME TWICE, SHAME ON ME!

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.f0fc817/85

Here is what it said:

Quote:
hi i had a 07 LS460 with that defect i was told that the 08 was fix so we went with a trade to a 08 with the same defect i was told the same lye you were told and all the other owners were told this was my 11 lexus and my last lexus . if a blog for a class action suite is out there i have not found one yet .
End quote

Last edited by jmcraney; 10-31-08 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-15-08, 08:39 PM
lightguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the opportunity on a very good deal on a 460 that is on a wind noise buyback.
Dont know if the car has been "fixed" by Lexus. IE the rather intensive foam sealing via door dissasembly route.
Is there a way to tell or would Lexus USA know. The car is being sold by an independant dealer who does not have access to the info.
If the fix has been done (the car still makes wind noise at even 50 mph ) might I just assume that the fix refered to here might do the trick ?
Old 11-16-08, 05:31 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

I am sure that any dealer can access the records.

That being said, I would ONLY buy that vehicle under TWO condtions:

1. You can live with the wind noise and not be too annoyed. Sure, you might, indeed, find a fix that has not yet been tried. But maybe not.

2. You get a price that is absolutely a steal. There are going to be too many off lease and repossessed luxury cars whacking down used car prices. The era of "everyone can drive a Lexus/Mercedes/BMW is coming to a close...at least for a while.

Love it "as is" and steal it. Otherwise take a pass.
Old 11-16-08, 07:00 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daryll40
................. The era of "everyone can drive a Lexus/Mercedes/BMW is coming to a close...at least for a while.
................ .

LOL. Most of my neighbors who have always bought high end cars around this time of the year are now looking for good detailing shops to rejuvenate their daily rides.

Back to the regular programming.
Old 11-16-08, 07:52 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
The era of "everyone can drive a Lexus/Mercedes/BMW is coming to a close...at least for a while.
Or at least a new one. People will still be able to afford the used ones.
Old 11-16-08, 06:28 PM
mab
Driver School Candidate

So is the wind noise problem solved for the 2009's ?
Old 11-21-08, 01:21 PM
jmcraney

Default Another Wind Noise Buyback On eBay (#10)

Yesterday upon the stair
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today.
I wish that man would go away.

Here is another "Wind Noise Buyback" on eBay. This one is a 2007 LS460L VIN JTHGL46F075016218 and this is the 10th one I have found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...8#ht_30334wt_0

If you don't want to chase the link, here is what it said:

Quote:
This car was a courtesy buyback through the Lexus informal resolution process.The owner complained of wind noise and stalling. Lexus found no flaws to the car but under Minnesota law, verbal compaints are treated as issues(real or not).You will have all paperwork to this. The warranty (3 years remains in force(as this car was sold in the 08 model year). The Minn. title will have a branded title noted.As this liberal policy is not used in other states except CA. the title will have no notation in most states. This is a courtesy offered by Lexus to promote good will. All non conformities are fixed ,and the factory warranty is unaffected in ANY way.This car was sold just before the 08 model year.

THIS REAQUIRED LEXUS HAS HAD A COMPLETE TOP TO BOTTOM INSPECTION TO INSURE "NOTHING" IS OFF SPEC BY LEXUS OF NORTH AMERICA. THE FULL WARRANTY IS IN FORCE UNTIL ALMOST MAY. OF 2011!!..TAKE ADVANTAGE OF A LOOPY MINN. LAW WHICH REQUIRES INFORMAL RESOLUTIONS TO BE MARKED. THE TITLE REMAINS CLEAR IN ALMOST EVERY OTHER STATE. THE LEXUS INSPECTION WAS A CLEAN( RARE) CONDITION WITH NO HIDDEN DAMAGES OF ANY SORT/ ASSURED BY LEXUS! SAVE $$THOUSANDS$$ THIS IS A $90,000 CAR THAT IS ONLY A 15 MONTHS OLD WITH 10,741 EASY MILES, AS NEW !!!, FOR A REDUCED PRICE OF $54,900...A SAVINGS OF ALMOST $35,000!!!!
End Quote
Old 11-22-08, 12:30 PM
lexus111
Rookie

Default wind noise fix on my 2007 ls460l

I have not ben on this board for a while but I wanted to report my situation with the wind noise. I picked up my car in Dec of 06 and noticed a little noise at first with cars passing by on the freeway and it sounding like my window was rolled down a little. I then a few months later read a posting here that mentioned to roll the window up all the way then lightly tap the down button and it would release a little of the outward pressure on the window and make the noise go away. SURE enough it worked.

Well after about 16 months of doing this little fix every time I noticed it... I had to go into the dealer to have my front brake pads replaced at 28,000 miles and mentioned the wind noise and that I knew of a TSB on this issue. After educating the service writer and then leaving the dealership with the loaner car for the brake job... the service writer called me back a few hours later to let me know that there was a TSB on the windows and they would perform that fix also while the car was there.

3 days later they had the TSB on the windows and the brakes done to which I came to pick up the car. Basically from what I can see they removed the window casings from the inside of the front doors and replaced them with a larger thicker window trim with a different type of seal that the window fits into when it goes up all the way. I would say that the wind noise had been reduced to about only 20% of what it used to be which is very acceptable to me. I don't have to tap the window down anymore.

Also of note... I mentioned that the soft trim area on the interior side pillar between the front and back seats was damaged from the seat belt being taken off and then scratching this soft surface pretty bad. They also replaced both sides of this with new at no charge.

Of another note... when the brake pad where indicator on the dash lights up get to the dealer and have them changed soon. I was out of town when it first went on and about 500 miles later (about a week) when I was about to take it to the dealer.... the change pads NOW and get to the dealer indicator came on the dash. Well as it turns out... the LS460 has a sensor that gets scraped by the worn pad that will get activated when the pad is at the complete end of its life. This part costs about $150 and has to be replaced if you don't change the pads before then.... so save the $150 that I had to pay and go there sooner.

Great Car though!!! I have about 32,000 miles on mine and had it for 23 months so far without ANY issues.

The Dunlop tires are not that great though.... had to replace them at 29,000 miles and the new ones that I put on are Michelin Sport A/S from Costco. Great tires... Great Traction ... and a LOT quieter in the ride.
Old 11-22-08, 01:04 PM
wickedt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus111
I then a few months later read a posting here that mentioned to roll the window up all the way then lightly tap the down button and it would release a little of the outward pressure on the window and make the noise go away. SURE enough it worked.

3 days later they had the TSB on the windows
I too have been doing this, tap window just a touch down after a full "roll-up". This has helped reduce the wind noise significantly.

Would you have to have the TSB for the window casing replacement?
Old 11-24-08, 08:00 AM
lexus111
Rookie

I just mentioned the TSB on the windows when I went into the dealership and then after the service advisor looked up the TSB he called and said that it would be completed.
Old 11-27-08, 01:19 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

I tried the sealant again :

Removing Process:

It was very difficult removing

When i removed the passengers triangle the two clips were stuck inside ( seems the clips was separted from the triangle trim when i tried to remove it ) .

Left hand side Drivers Triangle Trim.

Right hand side the Passengers Triangle Trim

This is how it looked after scrapping

I hope this works
Old 11-27-08, 01:23 PM
jmcraney

Don't use the clips!! Let them fall into the door or take them off.
Old 11-27-08, 08:30 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

I redid the drivers door again without the clips.

Old 11-29-08, 02:52 AM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

0% Improvement. I will give it 1 last shot with new triangle trims and new sealnts.

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)