LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What Do You Use For Roadside Assistance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 02:59 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Do You Use For Roadside Assistance?

What do you all use if you run out of gas or have a flat and want assistance? Never mind how good or bad it is; I just want to know what you use.
Old 04-20-08, 03:07 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

my understanding is you can call lexus roadside with any kind of car trouble. whether its a flat, dead battery, or out of gas, you shouldnt hesitate to call them cause its free. All you have to do is wait about 20 minutes and help is on the way. Its quite a neat feature.

I have used it twice as a lexus owner, and both were for a dead battery and i needed a jump start.
Old 04-20-08, 03:15 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

AAA is recommended!
Old 04-20-08, 03:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i never use it, but yes it's just like aaa. in fact, road side assistant is mostly carried out here by aaa, at least here in cali from what i heard
Old 04-20-08, 04:09 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I've never used lexus roadside assistance, but I think when you call them, they will just send someone, usually CAA ?
Old 04-20-08, 04:39 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I use and mostly abuse me...

I once walked five miles to get gas on Washington's I5 even though I could have called Acura's Roadside Assistance.
Old 04-20-08, 07:11 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I used BMW Roadside Assistance a few years ago when I trashed my 540i on vacation. They sent a flatbed wrecker out and carted it 120 miles to Denver. That was helpful.

My own personal roadside assistance is a tire plugging kit and a tiny 12v air compressor stowed away in a corner of my trunk. It has saved my - and others' - bacon on several occasions when an angry nail or other debris attacked a tire. I can normally repair a puncture and be on my way without even removing the tire from the car. Wouldn't leave home without it.

(And please don't anyone tell me plugs are terrible ... I use the leathery, waxy ones designed for radials and I've put tens of thousands of trouble-free miles on plugged tires. )

A friend used Mercedes R A awhile back when he had a flat on his GL450, and he waited 3 hours for the guy to show up.

Old 04-20-08, 07:16 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

I'm with you Mike. I've plugged countless punctures, mostly with the old cord & tar plugs - the kind you had to burn off to vulcanize the rubber. They lasted as long as the tire. Only one leaked, and that was because I spent too much time fiddling with the damn thing. Had to take it to a tire shop and have it plugged from the inside.
Old 04-21-08, 06:28 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I use Sewell Lexus of Dallas (my original dealer). If I'm in the area, they send someone from the dealership in an RX 350 loaded with batteries and parts.
If I'm not in the area I call them anyway and they contact Lexus Roadside for me.
I left my accessory button on and drained my battery, once and when they arrived, they installed a NEW battery, even though I probably just needed a jump. They said they didn't want to take a chance I had damaged one or more of the battery cells. I had 4,300 miles on the car.
I think I'll call them again if I ever need help.
Old 04-21-08, 06:59 AM
bob321
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wife got to experience Lexus Roadside Assistance called in through our local dealer. About 2 hour response to a remote area of east Texas, even though she was about 5 miles from a town.

Remind your loved ones who drive your LS that..

1. You have thoughtfully placed the Lexus Roadside Assistance and cell phone "Mr Rescue" numbers on the LS's phone speed dial page 3 - and that you can look up those numbers even if their cell phone's battery is dead.

2. The 12v outlet inside the center console will only charge the dead cell phone battery when the ignition is on (or engine running). Explain how to get to "Accessory" mode (start button - no brake) and that this mode will work even when you have run out of gas.

3. Demonstrate how you can actually use the cell phone while it is charging so they don't need to wait 30 minutes for the phone to charge before calling for help.

Old 04-21-08, 01:13 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

I have used Lexus Roadside Assistance as well as Mercedes Benz Assist. One was for a dead battery and the other was for my SL's folding roof not allowing the trunk lid to fully close. I have yet to call BMW Assist as my 3 is still only 2 months old.
Old 04-21-08, 03:34 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Frankly, I wish Roadside Assistance was an option - I certainly wouldn't go for it...

I am very mechanically inclined (engineer), and I haven't the patience to around and wait for a guy who probably knows less than me... (I'm also very humble)

But that's just me...
Old 04-21-08, 03:52 PM
moriarty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 800 25 LEXUS is the #. I recommend programming it in your phone. Also, Lexus has started a nationwide Dealer Roadside Assistance Program. Most dealers should be up and running shortly. It will be the equavalent of Mercedes with a RX350 taking place of the ML350 of course. The Dealer will get a call from Lexus Roadside dispatching a call. Really all the same services a AAA truck would perform with the nice exception that they will bring you a warranty battery that will save you a trip to the dealer after the standard jumpstart normally provided.
Old 04-21-08, 05:37 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Several months ago in a snow storm my business partner's LS locked him out of his car. Yes you heard right. He had the key in his possession, but mysteriously the LS was locked with the engine running in the middle of a parking lot. We did not realize that all we had to do is remove the cover off the door handle and stick the key in the key hole to unlock the car. We called Lexus Roadside Assistance and they were worthless in this case. After explaining to them that we had the key, they did not tell us what to do. After about an hour of agony in the snow and cold, we finally figured it out ourselves with the help of the owners manual. BTW, to this day, the dealer has not figured out how or why the car locked itself with the engine running and would not let us back in. This happened at least 3 times to him but he now knows how to unlock the car. I know that this story is hard to believe but it really happened. I believe I posted about it back then.
Old 04-21-08, 08:49 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Wouldn't Lexus Link be helpful as well? Only had my car now for about 2 months and, knock on wood, haven't had any reason to call for roadside assistance, but if I was near a Lexus dealership I would call them first, and if not, then I'd hit the Luxus Link button. At first I didn't really want Lexus Link, but it came with the package I got, and seems like not a bad deal for $199 starting in year 2.

Quick Reply: What Do You Use For Roadside Assistance?