LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Here's one for you!! (locked car incident)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 03:09 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's one for you!! (locked car incident)

Maybe someone here has an explanation for this. This is a long story, but one I think you will find amazing.

My business partner picked up his 2008 LS460L a few weeks after I did. After attending a college basketball game last Wednesday night we were on the way out of the huge parking on a cold, snowy night when my business partner's wife is knocking on my driver's side window. My wife and I were surprised to say the least. My business partner's wife is telling us that they are locked out of their car. Soon, the business partner also comes over. He tells us that after getting into the car and starting the engine he immediately goes back out to clear the windshield of snow and ice. His wife had not yet gotten into the car as he had not unlocked all doors (he had it set to only unlock the driver's side door with the key). When he tried to get back in the car, it was locked shut and he could not get it open. I decided to walk over to his car with him and see this for myself (Could not believe it). Sure enough, it would not unlock. We could see through the window that on the information screen it was giving the message ("key not detected"). First of all, how and why did this happen? He had the key in his possession with the engine running.

We came back to my car and called Lexus Link. They said they could not do anything since were were calling from a different car. However, they did connect us with Lexus Roadside Assistance. Roadside told us that they could not unlock the car that is locked with the engine running. They then connected us with a locksmith in a nearby town about 15 miles away. This guy was less than worthless. I know what most of you are thinking right now: If we had the key in our possession why didn't we unlock the car with the mechanical key? Well, we did try to do so, but both my partner and I had no idea that we first need to take the cover off the door handle. We were looking at the Owner's Manual (from my car) and tried to follow instructions (keep in mind that the weather was miserable. Also, it was a little difficult to follow the instructions. We did not specifically see where it stated that the cover needs to be removed. We were trying to stick the key into the tiny hole and turn instead of pulling it towards us to remove the cover first. Finally after about an hour of this crap, the partner's wife pulled on the key and lo and behold, the cover came off and the rest was easy.

OK, as I stated above the first question is WHY and HOW did the car lock itself? Secondly, and most importantly, why in the world didn't Roadside Assistance tell us that we could unlock the car with the mechanical key. We told them several times that we had the key. This was such a needless annoyance. The idiot locksmith was telling us that the only thing we could do is leave the car (also told him that we had the key) in the parking lot all night and let it run out of gas and call a tow truck in the morning.

I am not making any of this up. We talked to the dealer about this incredible incident and they are now advising their sales people to make sure they show customers how to unlock the door with the mechanical key (the whole trick is taking the cover off). They are also inquiring from Roadside Assistance to find out why their service failed SO miserably.
Old 01-21-08, 03:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

sorry to hear about the trouble

i can't give an explanation to the car locking after he got out of the car. as stated in the manual (and my experience), when the car is running, you can't lock the car from outside.

my guess is, the car is running, he opened the car, but while the door was open, he accidentally touched / rubbed / pushed on the physical lock (that's just right by the handle) and shut it to lock. then he closed the door. thus the car is locked. i think that's doable, but i have never tried. (just an idea, myabe you can try that just make sure someone else is inside the car

about lexus roadside, that's just plain stupid. while reading your post i was already going to say just use the mechanical key. i guess they are just totally lack of experience......

and about the locksmith, what can i say? some people's imagination never seize to amaze me
Old 01-21-08, 05:45 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm, that's a very strange incident, but with the new introduction of SmartAccess, we've been hearing some strange stories with the pushbutton, losing keys, etc. in weird circumstances. Not to sound too scary, but there was that incident of the IS unlocking itself on boards a year or so ago. And I remember discussing about how on the new Lexus models, the fobs now contain multiple parts, kinda Swiss army knife like (yes but without as much use etc.), no longer an extra mechanical key, spare key wallet card etc. (different from the wallet Smart Card).

For Lexus roadside assistance to not talk about the mechanical key, that's surprising--my experience talking with them has been informative and helpful. The locksmith idea was creative but utterly useless--Lexus key grooves are very different from what locksmiths regularly deal with AFAIK.

I agree that the salespersons should give more details...the dealer training videos for the cars are very well produced, why not put them on DVDs for customers (there is a scene in there showing the removal of the door handle cover). I have used the mechanical key on the LS 430 fobs before, which also slide out in a similar fashion--however until the new generation IS/GS/ES/LS etc., a key hole was still not covered. I suppose it's pretty secure for one to fiddle for an hour before figuring it out, but that happens and indeed the weather was not cooperating.

Oh well at least it ended with no additional cost and you guys eventually went on your way. Alas Lexus Link does only work for the car you bought it for.
Old 01-21-08, 06:40 PM
ccds
Driver

Sounds like a night from hell!

Wow....the whole process doesn't impress me.

They(Lexus) should have been able to give you help.

I would complain to Lexus Corp. on this one.

Glad you were able to solve it yourself though.

Old 01-21-08, 07:29 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

This would have been a lot worse had my wife and I gotten out of the parking lot and head home (good thing there were 13,000 at the game and it takes a while to get out of that lot). I am afraid that the other couple would have been stuck in the parking lot in the awful weather for a lot longer than an hour.

We are going to first call Lexus Roadside assistance tomorrow to ask the obvious question. How could they not inform us of the mechanical key?

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 01-21-08 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 08:30 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

my guess is, the car is running, he opened the car, but while the door was open, he accidentally touched / rubbed / pushed on the physical lock (that's just right by the handle) and shut it to lock. then he closed the door. thus the car is locked. i think that's doable, but i have never tried. (just an idea, myabe you can try that just make sure someone else is inside the car
that does seem like the logical explanation, but that is not possible. on all the lexus cars ive owned in the past, with the door open, it is impossible to touch the physical lock and have it stay locked. what happens is the car will automatically unlock all doors. ...i think.

or else something else triggers the car to unlock all the doors. as im typing this, i grow less confident in my post.
Old 01-22-08, 08:55 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

The amazing story continues. It happened to my partner again late yesterday afternoon. This time he was at the office. He tried to get into the car (had been parked for an hour) but it would not unlock as he pulled on the door handle. He eventually pressed on the unlock button on the fob and the rear door unlocked, he pressed it again and the driver's door unlocked. He then started the engine, got out to clear more snow (it has been snowing here almost every day recently) and guess what? The same thing happened as last Wednesday night. Of course this time he knew what to do. The more I hear about this problem now, the more it is becoming apparent to me that something is drastically wrong with either the fob or the sensors in the car. BTW, he did not accidentally push the lock button near the handle inside. The dealer is coming to pick up the car and give him a loaner next Tuesday. Hopefully, they will be able to repeat the problem themselves and find out what in the heck is going on. Meanwhile, he is getting very upset about all this crap after being very happy about the car until last Wednesday evening.
Old 01-22-08, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

seems like indeed something wrong with his actuators or the fob, doesn't make sense

RXSF, i will try out on my car, we will see what's up
Old 01-22-08, 09:37 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

For what it's worth, I agree with the original poster that the manual is NOT AT ALL CLEAR that you have to remove the "chrome" (plastic) oval cover from the lock. I did not get locked out but wanted to know how to use that mechanical key and it took me a long time to realize that the cover must be removed. Perhaps Lexus outta do a better job of explaining that at delivery.
Old 01-22-08, 10:45 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

perhaps the translator didnt do a good job from japanese to english.
Old 01-22-08, 10:55 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I only have basic knowledge of the SmartAccess system and don't know how the system is set up by Lexus, but maybe it's some sort of safety feature? Like trying to warm up the car but then you leave with the key and they're afraid that someone might get in and try to steal it as you're gone for that short moment? I'm sure the car would shut down eventually as the car comes to a full stop or something (not while running for obvious safety reasons).

???
Old 01-22-08, 11:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RXSF
that does seem like the logical explanation, but that is not possible. on all the lexus cars ive owned in the past, with the door open, it is impossible to touch the physical lock and have it stay locked. what happens is the car will automatically unlock all doors. ...i think.

or else something else triggers the car to unlock all the doors. as im typing this, i grow less confident in my post.
yup, tested this morning, it will unlock the car again after i manually try to lock it

i guess something is wrong with the system
Old 01-22-08, 12:27 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Lexus customer service has been below average in my experiences thus far. That sounded like an easy fix with the manual key and no one had a clue. Got the same treatment at the taste of Lexus, no one knew the product or could answer questions.

It does sound like your friend has a problem with the keyless entry. The more high tech these cars become the more potential problems.

The other day I pressed the start button, the car's electronic starter grinded and would not shut off no matter what I did. I kept pushing the starter button and nothing. I pulled it in gear and it stooped. Never happened since.
Old 01-25-08, 09:23 PM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ccds
Sounds like a night from hell!

Wow....the whole process doesn't impress me.

They(Lexus) should have been able to give you help.

I would complain to Lexus Corp. on this one.

Glad you were able to solve it yourself though.

Haha(Not to be laughing at your problem, but how the Roadside Assistance Guy was not able to help)!!! It's like saying that you were more knowledgeable then the Lexus Roadside Assistance.