LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Does your LS460 have wind noise? (you can pick more than one)
YES, my 2007 LS has definite wind noise as described.
40.00%
YES, my 2008 LS has definite wind noise as described.
8.57%
NO, my 2007 LS has no wind noise as described.
5.71%
NO, my 2008 LS has no wind noise as described.
17.14%
Yes, my LS has some occasional outside swishing sounds.
45.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 11:55 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still think it is a design problem that many just do not hear. I hope the factory addresses it with a redesign of the rearview mirrors and hood contours in the '09 models.......................but I have my doubts! They will likely ignore it like they have the transmission lag problems in the ES350 Series.
Old 04-14-08, 12:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The second generation LS 400 received redesigned side view mirrors to reduce wind noise...I think it's possible that with the mid-cycle refresh, the addition of side mirror turn signals, the LS 460 will receive some updates in that area as well.
Old 04-14-08, 01:30 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vi-Tuyen
i can hear the wind noise so loud if it is a windy day( i have to turn my stereo up loud every time I am on the freeway.). my dealer said they can not do anything with it, I wan them to TSIB for my car, but they said I have laminate glass so I don't need the TSIB. .(THEY SAID the designers OF THE LS460 did not do the cross wind test for the LS460, they only test the front.) they told me to wait to see if Lexus comes up with anything for this issue.

The TSIB's is for both the "L" and non L model cars. Email this TSIB to your dealer http://www.lambros.net/tsib/2007LS/L-NV010-07.pdf
I had it done and it was 70% better. 4 months later it's back to it's normal annoying noise and now my window track squeals when the window is rolled up and my inside door panels will squeak slightly over bumps. You can see in the TSIB they have to take the door panels completely off. My dealer did a good job cosmetically but now I'm left with slight squeaks. You may want to wait until they come out with the new-new fix to the problem. I know they are working on something.

I would call Lex cooperate and log a complaint so they have it on file if the fix takes longer than one year and also tell them the bad info your dealer told you.

This is the TSIB for the regular wheel base http://www.lambros.net/tsib/2007LS/L-NV009-07.pdf
Old 04-14-08, 01:38 PM
tyoung88
Rookie

garyr, your post has me slightly hesitant to go to the dealer to get the TSIB. I don't want to come out of this with still having wind noise PLUS now having rattles in my door!
Old 04-14-08, 01:56 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tyoung88
garyr, your post has me slightly hesitant to go to the dealer to get the TSIB. I don't want to come out of this with still having wind noise PLUS now having rattles in my door!

That has only been my experience. Others who have had it done report good results. It really depends on who works on your car and what attention to detail they possess. I also work on my own cars so I expect the same level of detail that I would do as to not have problems like I'm having down the road. I really can't blame the dealer, they are given the parts to install. I also know I'll end up taking my own door apart on my 83k car and I'll fix the squeaks myself.

In my opinion stuffing the window channels with foam is not a solution. If you do decide to have it done ask for the shop foreman to work on your car. They usually have the most experience.
Old 04-14-08, 02:13 PM
HiltonHead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up my car today. After the second go-around with the TSIB on my 2007 LS LWB, I am happy to report that the wind noise problem is entirely gone. No cosmetic or squeak problems as a result of the repair.

They had a factory guy there again for the repair. The first time was the first one they had done at the dealership. I really think that they have gotten better dealing with the problem as time has gone on. At least in my case, after having the car for over a year, it is finally what it should have been in the first place.
Old 04-15-08, 12:54 PM
garyr
Pole Position

HH, If you have time, can you ask the dealer what they did differently the 2nd time?

My dealer did the TSIB with the factory field rep. They will not work on it again because they did everything they could on the 1st go round. Thats when they told me they are working on a second fix and they were looking at the gap in the fenders as the start to the noise working up to the windows.

I do have some mechanical back ground and have not had the time to really look into this myself. I'm guessing it's a pressure problem from in the cabin vs outside the cabin. I think the air is rushing in or out or the cabin via the weakest seal in the window seal. I'll bet the fix will be some type of venting option in the cars plenum chamber.
Old 04-15-08, 01:17 PM
HiltonHead
Driver School Candidate

garyr: Their response was that they basically redid the TSIB but feel that they have gotten better with implementing it. The one thing they did, that they did not do, on the first go-around was seal the airspace that was present under the black triangular piece on the front part of the side glass. There definitely was a gap on the drivers side compared to the passenger's side that could have accounted for wind noise. In any event the fix definitely is satisfactory.
Hope you can get your problem resolved soon.
Old 04-19-08, 09:47 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Wind Noise

Originally Posted by HiltonHead
garyr: Their response was that they basically redid the TSIB but feel that they have gotten better with implementing it. The one thing they did, that they did not do, on the first go-around was seal the airspace that was present under the black triangular piece on the front part of the side glass. There definitely was a gap on the drivers side compared to the passenger's side that could have accounted for wind noise. In any event the fix definitely is satisfactory.
Hope you can get your problem resolved soon.
I think there is some real wisdom here. I have a 2007 LS460 (swb) that I bought new in Oct 2007. I have been back to the dealership several times and complained to Lexus. The TSB that replaces the front passenger door windows has been done among other thing. I recently complained to Lexus again and took the car in for an evaluation by the factory rep. This time they said that the car was performing as it should and there was nothing else that they could do. I decided I could not tolerate the wind noise and noise from passing cars so I started considering the purchase of a new car. I took one of their new 2008 LS460s for a test ride. It was a windy day and the 2008 had some wind noise from certain angles but was much quieter overall. I don't think it is reasonable to expect a car to be completely unaffected by strong cross winds (you have to have some connection to the outside air to sustain the car occupants). Because of some things others have said, but not the quote above - I didn't read it until after I worked on my car, I decided to remove the plastic triangle shaped trim that is at the forward corner of the front passenger door windows. Under that trim I found that there are two large gaps at the corners toward the rear of the car. I closed the gaps with some sealant and stuck the trim back on with the sealant. My car is now much quieter and has much better isolation from the noise of passing traffic. I told my dealership rep about what I had done and he said he would pass it on to Lexus. I see from the quote above that some Lexus reps are aware of the problem already. I can provide more details about what I did on my car if anyone is interested.
Old 04-19-08, 10:13 AM
HiltonHead
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I think there is some real wisdom here. I have a 2007 LS460 (swb) that I bought new in Oct 2007. I have been back to the dealership several times and complained to Lexus. The TSB that replaces the front passenger door windows has been done among other thing. I recently complained to Lexus again and took the car in for an evaluation by the factory rep. This time they said that the car was performing as it should and there was nothing else that they could do. I decided I could not tolerate the wind noise and noise from passing cars so I started considering the purchase of a new car. I took one of their new 2008 LS460s for a test ride. It was a windy day and the 2008 had some wind noise from certain angles but was much quieter overall. I don't think it is reasonable to expect a car to be completely unaffected by strong cross winds (you have to have some connection to the outside air to sustain the car occupants). Because of some things others have said, but not the quote above - I didn't read it until after I worked on my car, I decided to remove the plastic triangle shaped trim that is at the forward corner of the front passenger door windows. Under that trim I found that there are two large gaps at the corners toward the rear of the car. I closed the gaps with some sealant and stuck the trim back on with the sealant. My car is now much quieter and has much better isolation from the noise of passing traffic. I told my dealership rep about what I had done and he said he would pass it on to Lexus. I see from the quote above that some Lexus reps are aware of the problem already. I can provide more details about what I did on my car if anyone is interested.
Interesting enough, it wasn't the dealer that noticed the gap under the black triangular piece. An aeronautical engineer at Gulf Stream in Savannah GA who I had drive and closely look over my car found the gap. We tapped over it and the noise was greatly diminished.

When I had the TSIB done for a second time they also fixed the black triangular piece.
Old 04-19-08, 10:47 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by HiltonHead
Interesting enough, it wasn't the dealer that noticed the gap under the black triangular piece. An aeronautical engineer at Gulf Stream in Savannah GA who I had drive and closely look over my car found the gap. We tapped over it and the noise was greatly diminished.

When I had the TSIB done for a second time they also fixed the black triangular piece.
The gaps I am referring to are not visible without removing the triangle shaped trim. Are we talking about the same thing?
Old 04-19-08, 11:52 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Are we to assume the triangular piece you are referring to is the one on the outside of the window?

If so, how do you remove it ... just pull it off? What holds it on?

It might be helpful to those with noise to post some pix and details of what you did.

Old 04-19-08, 12:19 PM
jmcraney

Yes, I am talking about the little plastic piece of trim that is at the forward outside corners of the widows in the front passenger doors of the 2007 LS460.

I have some great pictures, just don't know how to post them. If someone wants to help me do that I would be grateful.

You might want to let the pros do this but here are the words that I gave to the dealership rep.

In trying to help the “wind noise problem” in my 2007 Lexus LS460 I discovered that there are some gaps under the plastic trim that is located in the forward corner of the front passenger & driver door windows. These gaps seem to allow air and noise to enter the passenger compartment under certain windy conditions. It looks like the engineers sort of painted themselves into a corner.

My solution is fast, and cheap but requires that the vehicle not be driven for 24 hours.

First, you need to take a flat instrument, like a small putty knife, and pry up a corner of the trim piece. After you get it going, just slowly peel it off. It is attached with some double-sided tape that will let go with a little pressure. There are some retaining fingers that will probably break off but that doesn’t make any difference.

There are two gaps that are the real problems. They are located at both of the corners that are toward the rear of the car. You need to fill in the gaps with some sealant material. I used clear Silicone II that is available at Home Depot. Apply the sealant in a pattern that is depicted in the attached photograph. Then press the plastic trim piece firmly back in place. If there is any “squish-out” let it cure for 24 hours and then you can trim it off or scrape it off with you fingernail. You need to let it cure for 24 hours before you drive the car because the air pressure that in generated when the car is being driven might push the fresh sealant out of the areas you are trying to seal.

Last edited by jmcraney; 04-23-08 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-19-08, 03:55 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Check your PM ...

Old 04-19-08, 05:37 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Jmcraney's pictures for above post are:

Edit: outdated pictures removed; see following thread for updated versions:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=352398

Last edited by encore888; 05-09-08 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Updated

Quick Reply: LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged threads)