LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hold / Emergency Brake - Ridiculous!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 01:27 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Had an ES350 loaner for the last day and a half, and I kept punching the steering wheel where the "Hold" button ought to be ...

Old 04-15-08, 03:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Had an ES350 loaner for the last day and a half, and I kept punching the steering wheel where the "Hold" button ought to be ...

at least you didn't let go of your foot while you are at red lights
Old 04-15-08, 04:10 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
at least you didn't let go of your foot while you are at red lights
That's what I've worried about a bit....thinking it was on when it wasn't. I found out today when parrallel parking that it was good to turn it off first! And no, wasn't using the auto parrallel park feature. I would imagine the "Hold" button is one of the opitons you can have set as coming on automatically at start? Or is that a feature that must be turned on each time you wish to engage? Might be better that way....I know my wife would forget about that feature and have all kinds of trouble. Anyway, as another poster said, "It's growing on me".
Old 04-15-08, 05:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by clemgrad85
That's what I've worried about a bit....thinking it was on when it wasn't. I found out today when parrallel parking that it was good to turn it off first! And no, wasn't using the auto parrallel park feature. I would imagine the "Hold" button is one of the opitons you can have set as coming on automatically at start? Or is that a feature that must be turned on each time you wish to engage? Might be better that way....I know my wife would forget about that feature and have all kinds of trouble. Anyway, as another poster said, "It's growing on me".
that happened to me actually. after driving the ls460l for couple of months, i got into the gs350, at the light and i forgot and let go of the brakes. car lurked forward and i pressed hard on it... no fun @_@
Old 04-16-08, 11:38 PM
GS Doug
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the hold button feature!
Old 04-17-08, 04:14 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
i think if i were in the situation, the first thing i would do before burning my brakes would be to turn off the engine and turn it back on. most things can be fixed that way.

by driving (uphill from what i got from your story) with your parking brake on, you might have caused a lot of wear to your brakes.
Thats what i would do.
Old 04-17-08, 08:21 PM
Vi-Tuyen
Driver

it happened for me once. I stop at the red light and push the HOLD button, then I unbuckled my seatbelt to take off my jacket, the park bake was on. then the light turn on and I hit the gas but the car won't go, I was scare. they horn at me. then some how i remember the e brake button(push, pull). I pulled it and hit the gas so hard. damn it released the e brake. the car is too smart for me.
Old 04-19-08, 08:36 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Vanlex,

Never panic. All you had to do was to check if the "auto" light was lit at the parking brake button. If so, you just release the parking break and go. If that would have been too dificult due to the panic state you could have been in, putting the car in P and then in D again would have put you on your way without any drama.
Old 04-20-08, 01:08 PM
ccds
Driver

I really like the feature to

once you get accustomed to using it

I would miss it now if I didn't have it.

Old 12-29-11, 01:05 AM
BobinSanD
Driver School Candidate

This is semi related, but just happened to me tonight concerning the parking brake. My LS-460 is just a couple of weeks new (to me); it's a 2010. I had parked the car as I always do and when I got back in and started it, I found that the parking brake would not automatically release. I'm not sure if it's something I did, inadvertently setting the brake. Having not read the manual thoroughly I didn't realize that you had to pull the brake "button/lever" to release the brake. After first panicking a bit and then fumbling with it for a few minutes, I realized that you had to pull the "P" lever to release it. Lucky I wasn't in a traffic/high pressure situation!
Old 12-29-11, 11:53 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think you may have been pushing the brake release when you should have been pulling maybe. Not sure but I use my hold feature all of the time in drive thrus
Old 12-29-11, 11:54 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by BobinSanD
This is semi related, but just happened to me tonight concerning the parking brake. My LS-460 is just a couple of weeks new (to me); it's a 2010. I had parked the car as I always do and when I got back in and started it, I found that the parking brake would not automatically release. I'm not sure if it's something I did, inadvertently setting the brake. Having not read the manual thoroughly I didn't realize that you had to pull the brake "button/lever" to release the brake. After first panicking a bit and then fumbling with it for a few minutes, I realized that you had to pull the "P" lever to release it. Lucky I wasn't in a traffic/high pressure situation!
BINGO!!!!
Old 12-29-11, 12:25 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobinSanD
LOL ! Why take the time to review and even read the owners manual when you have the pleasure of complaining (err, "reviewing") to Club Lexus after the fact??? - - - Just makes me laugh.

Y'all play nicely now, y'hear ? !
Best Wishes for a Happy New Year to All ! Mikey Lulejian on the Lake
-

Last edited by Mikey100; 12-29-11 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-29-11, 01:29 PM
krzyd
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
lol, seriously, if that's what you want, then why engage the brake hold? be fair now.

just put the car in park and then drive, simple enough

i never tried, but i thought you can pull (or push i forgot) on the parking brake button to release it
I was thinking the same thing, or you know, just keep your foot on the brake.
Old 12-29-11, 03:52 PM
Nvbanker
Driver School Candidate

You can always go back to Mercedes or BMW. I'll wave to you at the service shop as I drive by in my Lexus.

Amen to THAT! Been there, won't go back.

Quick Reply: Hold / Emergency Brake - Ridiculous!!