LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hold / Emergency Brake - Ridiculous!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 01:17 PM
vanlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi gents, point taken on all of your comments.

I have never used the e-brake (in that it's set to Auto), so I have never been obilged to figure out how to release it in the first place. One tug (as opposed to pushing the button) and the issue would have been resolved. Ultimately that's my bad.

As for the Hold button, I take responsibility for teaching myself to use it as opposed to reading the manual. Had I read it, I might have known that the extra level of intuition existed. As mentioned, a lot of gadgets to figure out on the car.

Finally, as for driving the car with the brake on...you just had to be there. I don't suffer fools gladly myself, and I shudder at the thought of having been "the idiot in the Lexus" for over half the span of the Lions Gate Bridge.

However, there was just not enough time - or patient drivers at that point - to allow me to stop and park (and possibly restart) the car. Among us, that's pure common sense; among the accelerating, impatient drivers behind me, however - a Lexus stopping altogether and going into Park would have been supreme idiocy.

Onward!
Old 01-14-08, 01:25 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
even though you should have restarted the car, lexus should have put some sort of direction on the instrument area, since they have that high resolution screen, or maybe on the nav. I think it should have said something like

"!!!PARKING BRAKE ENGAGED!!! Set car to park and then drive to release."

something like that. Or perhaps it should just automatically release, since it should know its harming the car.
Actually RX, there is a warning that appears on the center display when the Park Brake engages automatically overriding the Brake/Hold. At that point, as I mentioned in my previous post, the driver needs to depress the brake pedal and pull the manual Park Brake release switch - this releases the Park Brake and restores the Brake Hold state allowing the driver to resume moving forward.

Vanlex, armchair quarterbacks aside, I understand perfectly the situation you were confronted with, especially on that dastardly Lions Gate bridge.
Old 01-14-08, 03:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well, bottom line, we all have/had our first time
Old 01-14-08, 03:42 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm not sure whether you didn't know how to disengage the parking brake or if there was a malfunction with the system.
Old 01-14-08, 05:13 PM
Stoks
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vanlex, thanks for the story. That was good for a laugh! I know it wasn't funny for you at the time, but I can completely appreciate the frustration and embarrassment you must have felt.

You seem to be a good sport about it though, and that's a good thing. The parking brake feature IS a bit confusing and I have been stymied by it a couple of times myself, just not in as much of a pressure cooker situation as yours.

Hope your ride wasn't damaged in the whole process.
Old 01-14-08, 05:22 PM
ironhorse
Driver

I learn something new every day, thanks for the story, if it ever happens to me, now I know what to do....
Old 01-14-08, 07:50 PM
guy999
Driver School Candidate

my auto parking brake won't engage if the car is in drive. I don't know exactly how you did that.

the brake hold will, but you don't have to hit anything to start going again.
Old 01-14-08, 07:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by guy999
my auto parking brake won't engage if the car is in drive. I don't know exactly how you did that.

the brake hold will, but you don't have to hit anything to start going again.
if your brake hold is on, and you stop for long enough, the parking brake will engage
Old 01-14-08, 08:23 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]

The recommended procedure to release the Park Brake while using Brake Hold requires two steps as shown in the Owner's Manual. I have found that merely pulling the Park Brake switch does the trick. So either method works, it seems.
Old 01-14-08, 08:37 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Never knew the LS had this feature. Driving an LS460 is like flying a 747.

I think you should have put your emergency blinkers on until you fixed the problem. Forcing the car to move while the brakes were locked hard wears it down quite badly.

But what can you do, its life, it happens. Something similar to this has happened to me as well. Dont sweat it.
Old 04-13-08, 02:22 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I initially didn't like the "Hold" feature, but after sitting at a light and slightly rolling when I didn't realize I was (okay, was leaning into the back seat to grab something) and had to quickly hit the break to avoid the car in front of me, I've become a fan of this feature. I was caught off guard by it going into the emergency break status while at the bank window....so fortunately I didn't have the panic of being in traffic. Anyway, I don't use the "Hold" button all the time, but it does come in handy some, for sure.
Old 04-13-08, 02:44 PM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

love the 'hold' feature, but hate having to put my seat belt on just to activate it.....all hail the Lexus Mommy!!!
Old 04-13-08, 06:04 PM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tennisstar
love the 'hold' feature, but hate having to put my seat belt on just to activate it.....all hail the Lexus Mommy!!!
I gotta agree with you on the seat belt notice....but....I do tend to buckle up anyway.
Old 04-13-08, 08:14 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

First and only car I've had with the Hold button, and I absolutely LOVE it. When I occasionally drive my wife's car now, it's one of the first things I miss.

My "brake knee" got blown out a couple years ago and still bothers me, so keeping constant pressure on th brake pedal while at a stop is a pain in the ... knee. What a great invention.

Old 04-15-08, 01:17 PM
vanlex
Rookie

It's grown on me (so has my IQ).

Quick Reply: Hold / Emergency Brake - Ridiculous!!