LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why pimp out your LS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 02:33 PM
kidalex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why pimp out your LS?

I know that the rims and body kids have a great appeal with 15 year olds who watch MTV all day, but those who spend $80K on a car?? Why?

Is the fact that you're driving a top of the line luxury sedan not enough? You're still trying to get noticed?

I'm really lost for words when I see cars like that. Why??
Old 12-13-07, 03:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

put it into perspective, that's just you and your personal preference. i am not saying it coz' i modify my cars, including the ls460l, but just as general.

if you think modifying cars (regardless of price) is only for 15 yr old who watches mtv all day, then you need to put aside your stereotype and look out of the window. maybe i am taking it a bit offensively (i am over 15 and i hardly watch mtv), but i have seen people much older than people modifying their 7 series and s class.

price of the car to me has NOTHING to do with whether or not someone would want to modify their cars. those who modify, they are trying to
1) personalize their cars
2) make it look "better" in some people's eyes
3) achieve better performance

you might not like it, but that's just you. what's "top" anyway, things can ALWAYS be better. look at AMG. they weren't even part of mb long time ago. they were an AFTERMAKET company modifying mb cars. look at them now, part of mb, and mb has AMG for EVERY model of their cars, including "top of the line" s class (even s65, costing 50% more than normal s class). so how are you going to categorize then? are you going to say that everyone who buys a s63 or s65 stupid? i don't think so

or look at the bmw 7 series. they come with 18" wheels. but they have 19" options. why? does that mean they are stupid too? no. and not to mention there are companies like alpina or hamann or AC, who works sooo closely with bmw on adding both performance and cosmetic to the car

so again, bottom line, it's about personal preference. it's definitely not for everyone. i know a lot of close friends who never understand why i modify cars, but that's totally fine. i think respect is the most important.

one last comment, i never modify my cars to "get noticed". i can care less what the guy next to me think. i modify my cars so it appeals to ME more, so i like it more, so i drive it with more passion. the guy next to me? if he likes it, cool, i appreciate that. he doesn't like it, that's not going to hurt my feelings
Old 12-13-07, 03:52 PM
kidalex
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
maybe i am taking it a bit offensively (i am over 15 and i hardly watch mtv), but i have seen people much older than people modifying their 7 series and s class.
When you say "older" - you mean age, right? That usually has nothing to do with the category that you're in though. You can be 50 and still be in the "MTV watching 15 year old kid" category.

price of the car to me has NOTHING to do with whether or not someone would want to modify their cars. those who modify, they are trying to
1) personalize their cars
On the outside? Isn't that the part of the car you can't see when you're using it?

2) make it look "better" in some people's eyes
Whose people's eyes? Once again - you're on the inside when you're driving it.

3) achieve better performance
If you're looking for performance, a four door executive sedan is not the way to go. Get a Corvette or something.

he doesn't like it, that's not going to hurt my feelings
It seems that my post hurt your feelings. I can only imaging how much time you spend on defending your car when someone doesn't like it in person!
Old 12-13-07, 03:58 PM
ironhorse
Driver

HOW'S THIS!!!! BECAUSE I CAN, I am not doing it for you and could care less what the person sitting next to me thinks, if I chose to upgrade something it is because I want to. Let me ask you something, why did you buy a 80,000 car and not a chevy Nova, could it be you wanted to to get noticed? Here is how I look at this, it is my car, I paid for it, and I will do what I want/like with it, you may not like it, but again I did not buy it to make you happy.
Old 12-13-07, 04:22 PM
jawnly211
Driver School Candidate

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

great answer
Old 12-13-07, 04:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by kidalex
When you say "older" - you mean age, right? That usually has nothing to do with the category that you're in though. You can be 50 and still be in the "MTV watching 15 year old kid" category.

On the outside? Isn't that the part of the car you can't see when you're using it?

If you're looking for performance, a four door executive sedan is not the way to go. Get a Corvette or something.

It seems that my post hurt your feelings. I can only imaging how much time you spend on defending your car when someone doesn't like it in person!
your post hurt my feelings? that statement is almost laughable. i replied to your post not trying to defend myself (and there is absolutely zero point in that), i am just trying to give out the message of respecting others, which goes a long way here, especially when your statement of "15 yr old watching mtv all day" could be insulting to some

again, if you think all the people who modify their cars are 15 yr old mentally watching mtv all day, then i feel very sad for you. i will leave it like that.

unfortunately (or fortunately should i say?) every time before i get to the INSIDE of my car, i have to see the OUTSIDE of my car. in my garage, when parked in the parking lot, etc... i appreciate to see my car from a distance and being able to like it. i also tend to wash the EXTERIOR of my car not interior, which i enjoy a lot too. it also happens that when i take pictures of my car, i usually take pictures of the exterior.

yes, i can see your point on performance. i guess all people who drives s600, s55, s63, s65, 760il, they are all idiots huh? there is performance in everything. i would be happy to be in a s65 and able to kill a corvette on the freeway

again if you think my reply to you was defending my car, then you are making a huge mistake and it's pathetic at best in my eyes. i don't need to defend myself to define who i am. your statement of "15 yr old watching mtv all day" already says a lot about you. i was being nice and try to talk about the idea of respecting others, but i guess that's too high level for you to understand. i never understand people who spend 3000 on a bag, but i respect them and will never say they follow paris hilton too much.
Old 12-13-07, 04:23 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

It's all about individual preference and customizing a vehicle to "make it your own". There are many people that drive around in factory stock vehicles and never consider altering them in any fashion. For those people a vehicle is basic transportation - to get them from point A to point B. They choose to spend their money elsewhere. That being said, you are on a make specific message board asking why members choose to modify their vehicles, expecting what? You received an honest answer to your inquiry, then chose to respond in a derogatory manner. Why? It's equivlent to going to an HOA meeting or neighborhood night out and criticizing your neighbor for spending time, effort and money on landscaping beyond that required. They can't see their entire property while they are inside the house, so it must be a waste, right? It's about pride in ownership and as stated previously, personal preference. It is not an overnight phenomenon, and customization has become so mainstream that you can walk into almost new car dealer and get your vehicle the way you want it before you take delivery. Soccer mom's on 22"s from the factory and factory warranties for dealer installed performance parts are more than sufficient evidence of this. 5 years ago, few would have fathomed that this was possible. Why be derisive just because you don't agree with it?
Old 12-13-07, 04:53 PM
allklr
Pole Position

I wish I could pimp it out even more, This is the first car that I have really modded and the biggest reason is I'm making it more of "my" car with my personal touches. I just wished I lived in cali so I did not have to wait until after winter to put my 22's on.
Old 12-13-07, 05:09 PM
ironhorse
Driver

Why did I go to work today, cribs was on all day, Dam I missed it, oh well now maybe I will get a body kit Can't we all play in the same sand box.....
Old 12-13-07, 05:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

You've never turned around and looked at your car when walking away from it? Been to a car show where people have admired your car and ask what you have done to it? Been stopped on the street repeatedly by random strangers? Taken the time to personally detail your Lexus and be proud of something you own is unique and different from everyone else's?

It's all personal preference and some things other people may enjoy doesn't matter or make sense to you.

Performance can mean many different things....You could have bought a different car with a much better OEM iPod or iPhone interface for better performance. Instead you may have selected to modify it to work more to your taste and expectations. Same thing for others who may modify their car's handling, exhaust note or the acceleration of their car to better fit their taste and expecations.

It's personal preference and some things other people may enjoy doesn't have to matter or make sense to you.

This is a mean-spirited comment and will not be tolerated on our forum. You don't have to understand modifications, you don't have to like what others do to their LS (maybe they don't like your choices either) but you absolutely do not have to insult them to disagree with them. Same comment with your '15 year old MTV' statement in your opening comment. Because someone likes these things does not make them a child, nor is it isolated... the auto customization business is a $250 BILLION dollar annual industry.

It's all personal preference and some things other people may enjoy doesn't have to matter or make sense to you. You are absolutely welcome to discuss these things that you don't understand. However, you do need to discuss it politely and maturely.... if you don't I will show you the door.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-13-07 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 06:20 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I, for one, think it is a matter of preference, like the color of the car. In the last few days I have seen two 460L's, both black, that were very attractive. One was on Saturday afternoon in north eastern Atlanta (on Druid) and one this morning in San Francisco (getting off 101 N at Octavia). They both would draw the attention of many. Mine is the least noticable color - silver - and we like it that way - it is harder to distinguish it from many other cars - even though it is an Exec Class. We like it to be pretty invisible, so no mods. Others like to have a more conspicuous car. It ws the same reason we bought a Honda Civic Hybrid instead of a Prius. I am one of the older (oldest) members - at 62 - so age may be a factor, too. No one is wrong, just different.
Old 12-13-07, 07:14 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to ask the OP... do you only wear T-shirts?
T-shirts function fine, as far as basic clothing goes.

For that matter, why buy an LS?
Wouldn't a new Aveo function fine for basic transportation?

Your home... why not live in a trailer?
Mobile homes provide adequate shelter (unless you live in the tornado belt)

Why do men like pretty girls? Why do women like rich, tall men?
Ugly girls and short guys who drive forklifts can be great people, right?

All good questions. We modify cars to reflect our individual personalities,
to show we are unique, creative, and to keep us motivated to strive
for excellence in everything we do and everything we possess.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-13-07 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Let's keep it polite please :)
Old 12-13-07, 08:07 PM
Sulls
Driver School Candidate

I wonder what Chip Foose would do to the LS460.
Old 12-13-07, 08:25 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

It never ceases to amazes me, the individuals that join a website chat forum devoted to cars and wonder aloud why they are being modified.

Quite obviously this is a automotive enthusiast oriented site. Along with automotive enthusiasts comes some sort of enhancement, or personalization (even if its just a V1 radar detector, 3M clearbra, or a vanity plate). So my question is, why post such a useless question? Its almost like walking into a gym and asking "whats the big deal with this fitness crap?".

Just the wrong place to pose such a question.
Old 12-13-07, 08:41 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile I thought I was the only one who felt like you!!!!!!!!!

I know that the rims and body kids have a great appeal with 15 year olds who watch MTV all day, but those who spend $80K on a car?? Why?

Is the fact that you're driving a top of the line luxury sedan not enough? You're still trying to get noticed?

I'm really lost for words when I see cars like that. Why??
I just grew out of the rim thing 3 and a half years ago. I went to bed the day before fine, with my 19inch rims on my LS430. The next day I was scheduled to have them removed because of the winter weather approaching(I remove my aftermarkets every fall)and when I got in my car after the factory rims were put back on,I liked it better.

As I drove the car without the factory rims I first noticed that my car drove better. Then it came to me how much I spent on my rims for a less enjoyable ride. Then the fact that dealers and there salesman had told me in the past that, aftermarkets(rims) had a negative effect on the cars value when being sold.

I guess for the most part people who still put big rims and all the other many additions on there car do so because, like me the day before I woke up and had mines removed, it hasnt hit them yet. Maybe it wont hit them. I respect there choice and feel if you can buy it, and want it, get it. Me myself I am not into the aftermarket thing anymore.

And like a comedian named Katt Williams said" do you know you cant see the rims when your driving in the car" not an exact quote but, along those lines. Chris Rock has also commented on the rim thing saying in his act a couple of years ago"they spinning brotha, they spinning" not his exact words. I replaced the real word with brotha as not to offend(Im a Black man by the way)anyone.

L.G.N.M

Quick Reply: Why pimp out your LS?