LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Grrrr... Had to abandon LS tonight due to snow...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-08, 04:22 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
We've just suffered our second snowfall in the Vancouver area, and I can now categorically state that the Bridgestone EL42s are a POS. Yes, we only get two snowfalls a year in this area, but M+S rated tires should still be able to handle light snowfalls such as we get in Vancouver. If you are considering purchasing an LS, or changing out the EL42s it came with, make sure they are not the the same. I drove through a snow storm in Arizona this week on Michelin Pilots and never felt a hint of slippage. Avoid these EL42s at all cost; they may be fine in other seasons, but are dangerous even on light snow - really scary I might add; on a slight incline from a full stop, they lose their grip and the car start to go out of control. Lexus & Bridgestone, I hope you're reading this and do something about this very dangerous choice. I will be ripping these off as soon as possible as they can literally endanger lives...
Or at least say they're not for winter use.

You haven't decided on tyres yet or the tyres you want still aren't in stock?
Old 01-28-08, 05:16 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Or at least say they're not for winter use.

You haven't decided on tyres yet or the tyres you want still aren't in stock?
Correct, along with a little procrastination. I won't settle for other alternatives; therein lies my dilemma...

And out here as you know, winter can be a fleeting proposition.
Old 01-28-08, 05:31 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yea snow sucks...can't get snow tires since i have supra bbk. I'd have to get supra rims and then buy 245 winter tires which are $$$$$$$. sucks i tells ya
Old 01-28-08, 06:43 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Correct, along with a little procrastination. I won't settle for other alternatives; therein lies my dilemma...

And out here as you know, winter can be a fleeting proposition.
haha alright.

Well like I said, if you want a good all-season tyre, the WR is the way to go. The day I got them mounted (Dec 1 2007), was the day I-5 got pounded with snow. There were cars all over the ditch and mine tracked fairly well. WRG2 is the latest generation. Again, buy it in the US, it's cheaper than Kal-Tire (I'm sure the cost difference is greater with the LS' larger tyres).

Otherwise, yeah you gotta wait for those X-Ices.
Old 01-29-08, 12:00 AM
VanG35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad got snow tires for his LS460. I believe they are dunlop winter sport. He hasn't gotten stuck once except for the first storm because the snow was real high, and the car is to low. Luckily, our neighbour told us to park it in his driveway. Today my dad was able to make it up our steep hill. I came back from school in my G35 with all season tires and I couldn't get a third up the hill. I took my car in my neighbours driveway that was clean and facing my street. I just gunned it and got enough momentum that I was able to make it up. About an hour later me and my mother had to to run a quick errand and we took the LS. On the way home, it was a breeze going up the hill. The traction control only kicked in for half a second and the rest was simple. I have to turn off the traction control in my car or else I won't get enough power to the wheels and i'll just get stuck. Sadly at this rate im going to need new tires soon.
Old 01-29-08, 11:15 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem is more the rear drive than an issue with the Bridgestone Turanza EL's. My ES350 does very well with them. I have been in a few wicked spots this winter here in the good old Colorado mountains with no problems.
Old 01-30-08, 01:10 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I couldn't agree with you more on the RWD issue. However, I have driven All-Season Michelins with RWD, and they do indeed track better; not as good as Winter Tires, but certainly better than the EL42s, particularly on inclines.
Old 02-10-08, 06:35 PM
rejh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 600 is great in the snow! Jackson Hole reporting in.