LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Grrrr... Had to abandon LS tonight due to snow...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 09:15 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnaby
There seems to be a shortage of the X-Ice in 18s. The 19s are available though. Tirerack lists the 18s but they're not in stock. Blizzaks and Dunlop winters look like they're the only options for the time being as far as I'm concerned anyway. Unless I get the 19", but there was a lot of debate a while back about the fitment. Any feedback on this?

I'm going to price the Canadian Costco availabilities tomorrow.
If you need other advice

http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/tires/tires.htm

Originally Posted by oldcajun
There was an interesting test run by one of the car magazines a few years ago relative to the value of snow tires, all season tires, and car drive configuration. They tested 3 cars: front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, and all wheel drive all in snow concitions. With the all season tires, the cars performed as expected with the all wheel drive best and the rear wheel drive worst. When they put the winter tires on the rear wheel drive car, it had better traction than the other 2 with their all season tires. With all the cars shod with winter tires, the ranking returned to where it started, but with all much improved. Their conclusion was that tires made a bigger difference than drive configuration in snowy conditions.
Steve
I believe CanadianDriver did such a test too.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/traction2006.htm
Old 12-13-07, 06:37 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Costco told me today there is a shortage in Michelin's X-Ice 235/50 18s, and will not be available again until next year. Seems they were swallowed up by the Eastern market. My next option will be Blizzak LM-25s, although I noted on Tirerack's ratings that the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s have greater performance and overall satisfaction results in icy or snowy conditions. I don't know where I'm going to end up with this, but stay tuned.

Thank you all for your valuable input.
Old 12-14-07, 09:54 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Costco told me today there is a shortage in Michelin's X-Ice 235/50 18s, and will not be available again until next year. Seems they were swallowed up by the Eastern market. My next option will be Blizzak LM-25s, although I noted on Tirerack's ratings that the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s have greater performance and overall satisfaction results in icy or snowy conditions. I don't know where I'm going to end up with this, but stay tuned.

Thank you all for your valuable input.
Did you not wanna try Nokian WRs? or Nokian RSi?
Old 01-03-08, 08:00 PM
kafkla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in a hilly region with moderate amount of snow in winter (during my several years here, the most snow in one storm was 12-14", more typically get 2-5" with each snowfall). I put snow tires front and back on my previous LS430 and on current LS460. Snow tires make a world of difference. I have never been stuck on ice or in snow with snow tires, easily pass SUVs that are stuck on hills that are snow or ice-covered. In contrast, driving the LS with the standard OEM tires in snow or on ice was treacherous at best, impossible at worst. Had Blizzaks on LS430, have Dunlop Winter Sport M3 on the 460 (had trouble getting Blizzaks so went with Dunlops for the new car). Both work good. Blizzaks seemed to have slightly better grip on ice. Dunlops seem a little quieter and smoother-riding on dry roads. The dealer mentioned higher performance as a selling point for the Dunlops but I don't see much need for high performance tires for driving in ice and snow. I get around as well in my LS with snowtires as I do in my wife's RX400 AWD with its all-season tires and, if anything, the LS with snow tires is better on ice than the RX AWD with all-season tires (this makes sense since the snows are designed for better traction in cold weather). IMHO, snow tires are well worth their price for peace of mind. Although there may be differences between different types of snow tires, I suspect the brand/model of snow tire matters less than just having snow tires (similar conclusion as an earlier post that says snow tires make bigger difference than drive configuration).
Old 01-04-08, 12:53 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Helmar
I agree with you. I closely evaluated an S550 4matic before selecting my LS600hL.

To me, either would have been a good choice, but the Lexus had better reliability, and a touchscreen NAV instead of the COMAND system, and a few other minor (personal) advantages.

I've gone one step further than all season tires and mounted BLIZZAK snow tires. So far I've only been able to try the car in light snow, but it's performed magnificently.

HBH

Sounds like you're about to get hammered with a snowstorm. Let us know how the LS600hL performs with the AWD and snow tires if you're brave enough to face the elements.
Old 01-06-08, 11:38 AM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clear sailing on a sea of snow!

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
Sounds like you're about to get hammered with a snowstorm. Let us know how the LS600hL performs with the AWD and snow tires if you're brave enough to face the elements.
I've been through 2 medium sized snow storms since my post and the car has performed every bit as well as my wife's AWD Subaru. Start up on hills only once caused the traction control light to come on, but the car didn't slow down or skew around. As to cornering in the snow, well, I don't push it, but it sure feels stable.

The noise level with these tires is barely louder than the summer tires.

Issues (minor) so far:

1. Because it's low to the ground, I have to be careful of the snow berms going into and out of driveways.

2. The back-up camera is easily and quickly covered and made much less useful.

3. The interior sure gets filthy after a snow storm

HBH
Old 01-27-08, 08:36 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

We've just suffered our second snowfall in the Vancouver area, and I can now categorically state that the Bridgestone EL42s are a POS. Yes, we only get two snowfalls a year in this area, but M+S rated tires should still be able to handle light snowfalls such as we get in Vancouver. If you are considering purchasing an LS, or changing out the EL42s it came with, make sure they are not the the same. I drove through a snow storm in Arizona this week on Michelin Pilots and never felt a hint of slippage. Avoid these EL42s at all cost; they may be fine in other seasons, but are dangerous even on light snow - really scary I might add; on a slight incline from a full stop, they lose their grip and the car start to go out of control. Lexus & Bridgestone, I hope you're reading this and do something about this very dangerous choice. I will be ripping these off as soon as possible as they can literally endanger lives...
Old 01-27-08, 08:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the update and info, Burnaby. Take care and stay safe out there in the weather.
Old 01-28-08, 03:19 AM
ccds
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the current temperature here this morning is -22F and the wind chill
is -54F with blowing snow.
I have Michelin's X-Ice and this is the first real storm we have had this winter
here in Calgary Ab. so I will give them a work out this morning.

Brrrr...to cold here

Old 01-28-08, 04:48 AM
syswei
Pole Position

on a slight incline from a full stop, they lose their grip and the car start to go out of control.
Did you run across any similar situations with the Pilots? And was that also a rwd car?
Old 01-28-08, 05:07 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ccds
Well the current temperature here this morning is -22F and the wind chill
is -54F with blowing snow.
I have Michelin's X-Ice and this is the first real storm we have had this winter
here in Calgary Ab. so I will give them a work out this morning.

Brrrr...to cold here

Wow that is really cold I am glad I live in sunny Florida
Old 01-28-08, 06:19 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

wish it would snow here! of course, my LS won't be out in it, as i have much better, more fun options!
Old 01-28-08, 06:19 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

What's snow?

Old 01-28-08, 06:42 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

that fun to drive in white stuff that falls from the sky that we dont' get enough of here!
Old 01-28-08, 07:16 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

We have had quite a lot of snow here so far this winter and I am pleased to report that my Blizzaks have been doing a great job. I have had no major issues of slipping and sliding. One does need to be careful on turns when it is snow covered and especially ice covered. In other words, use common sense. I can't wait until April 1 though. I will then try out my all season tires, mounted on teleios rims, for the first time.

Quick Reply: Grrrr... Had to abandon LS tonight due to snow...