LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Drilling Holes in My 460L

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 11:50 AM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drilling Holes in My 460L

I received my license plates a couple of weeks ago and installed the rear plates. However, for the front plates, it looks like I need to drill two holes to attach the plate holder. The license then goes onto the plateholder. I hate to think of drilling holes into my beautiful car. I'm in CA. Does anyone know whether I have to have front plates installed - or just the rear ones? Any suggestions on the plate installation? Thanks.
Old 11-30-07, 11:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

actually, you need FOUR holes. two for the license plate holder, and two extra when you are screwing the license plate to the holder (it will go through the holder into the bumper as well)

it's a low in CA to have front plate. you can get tickets without front plate. you can run your chances
Old 11-30-07, 01:28 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by astrotoy
I received my license plates a couple of weeks ago and installed the rear plates. However, for the front plates, it looks like I need to drill two holes to attach the plate holder. The license then goes onto the plateholder. I hate to think of drilling holes into my beautiful car. I'm in CA. Does anyone know whether I have to have front plates installed - or just the rear ones? Any suggestions on the plate installation? Thanks.
The law does require a front license plate in CA. I went fourteen years in a Toyota Supra, thirteen in an Acura Legend, five in a GS400, four in the GX and ES (no front or rear plate)and now one year in the LS (no front or rear plate), with no ticket. Although I could get a ticket for no rear plate anyway, they are in the vehicles with the appropriate stickers. I've saved having to pay for two parking tickets due to not having any plates (wife put money in the wrong meter, twice).
Old 11-30-07, 01:58 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

so people who dont even put rear plates on...can you just go through bridge electronic tolls without getting caught? lol

kinda shady
Old 11-30-07, 02:03 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not the risk taker to not have plates. I did get a ticket once in a rental car in Del Mar which was parked with expired tags! The police don't have much to do there. The rental car company paid the ticket. I just finished drilling the holes in the front and the plate is mounted. At least they have little dimples to guide you for the main two holes for the bracket. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-30-07, 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

at least our ls460l came with the front plate already so there was nothing to think about

we had our sc430 for 3 yrs and never any front plate, never a problem. and actually that car went over a year without any front or rear plates, never a problem neither. my wife got pulled over once and told the cop she had no idea why no plates, the cop just let her go
Old 11-30-07, 03:08 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Wow, that's incredible that you can actually drive a car in CA with no plates at all. MA requires a front plate now after years of only a rear plate. Not only with a cop give you a ticket for no front plate, but meter maids will give you a ticket for it as well. If you don't have any plates, they call a tow truck and you have to take a cab home!

When I had a brand new '90 Nissan 300ZX I refused to put a front plate on, it cost me a few bucks over the years!
Old 11-30-07, 03:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Wow, that's incredible that you can actually drive a car in CA with no plates at all. MA requires a front plate now after years of only a rear plate. Not only with a cop give you a ticket for no front plate, but meter maids will give you a ticket for it as well. If you don't have any plates, they call a tow truck and you have to take a cab home!

When I had a brand new '90 Nissan 300ZX I refused to put a front plate on, it cost me a few bucks over the years!
nah, like i said it's just a matter of luck. my wife even went to airport almost every week and never a problem (airport cops are very good at that). we always have our plates in the car just in case pulled over (not that it would do us much good). of course i think it depends on where you go too.
Old 11-30-07, 03:42 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Why not use double-sided tape?
Old 11-30-07, 03:43 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone

I never took the dealer sticker off the windshield or removed the dealer name plate at the rear, so it looks like a newly purchased car to the law. It takes a pretty car smart officer to be able to detect the difference between a 2004 and 2007 GX or a 2007 and 2008 LS. I got stopped in the GX when I failed to notice a 3:00-5:00 PM no left turn sign in time. The officer said, "You haven't gotten the new plates yet?". I said no, expecting a bolt of lightning to strike any second. The registration clearly says the truck is a 2004, but he thought it was a recently purchased used vehicle. Admitting that I saw the sign half way through the left turn and apologizing for my stupidity got me off from receiving a citation in one of the toughest towns in this area for giving out tickets. In this same town, a friend got a ticket for no front license plate while his car was legally parked.