LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What did you do about your wind noise problem after the dealer fix didn't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 08:56 PM
ghmundt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did you do about your wind noise problem after the dealer fix didn't work

I am at wits end with the wind noise problem in my 460. After several attempts the dealer has proven incapable of fixing it and I am unwilling to keep driving this particular LS460. I would like this thread to be different from the other wind noise thread and focus on what positive steps LS460 OWNERS have taken, be it arbitration, invoking the Lemon Law or whatever else to get compensated for their wind noise problem. This will help guide me and other owners as to what options are available to us. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-27-07, 08:17 AM
srcada
Rookie

Which dealer in IL did you go to, I have not begun this process yet and do not want someone ripping apart my car if they can't fix the problem.
Old 11-27-07, 12:37 PM
ghmundt
Driver

McGrath, I think they did the best they could and their work slightly helped a really bad problem.
Old 11-27-07, 12:57 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called corp and informed them after the fix it's still unacceptable. They said they were sorry and gave me 3 free oil changes. This sled is still louder than any other luxury car I've owned.

I have 9,800 miles on my LWB and I'm not sure what action to take. Just because the fact I'm busy as hell I just may sell it and forgo the trouble. I do like the car overall but man it's just to restrictive for me.

I've read on other boards people have traded in the 07 for an 08 and the car is quieter, smother and you don't have to push the "I agree" icon. dealers seem to be offering fair deals to do so.

I just read Motor Trend tested the 600 with other like kind models and when done trashed it for not living up to the Lexus rep. One of their comments said it was not a quite ride.

Hope someone has the time to boiler plate the way for the rest of us with this problem.
Old 11-27-07, 01:14 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm, there was an owner who asked about lemon laws and the suggestion was that it's a bit iffy given the need to prove it as a demonstrable impediment to the vehicle's operation. However, if you have well-organized repair records, and perhaps some replicable proof of the noise issue, that will bolster the case. Or perhaps doing what Mallory did?

Additionally, with regards to the Motor Trend article, they stated that the Jaguar was the quietest of the group, "even quieter than the Lexus," which they state had tire noise...that was the culprit; and as others have mentioned on this forum, changing the tires reduces noise.
Old 11-27-07, 04:44 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Originally Posted by encore888
Hmm, there was an owner who asked about lemon laws and the suggestion was that it's a bit iffy given the need to prove it as a demonstrable impediment to the vehicle's operation. However, if you have well-organized repair records, and perhaps some replicable proof of the noise issue, that will bolster the case. Or perhaps doing what Mallory did?

Additionally, with regards to the Motor Trend article, they stated that the Jaguar was the quietest of the group, "even quieter than the Lexus," which they state had tire noise...that was the culprit; and as others have mentioned on this forum, changing the tires reduces noise.
It is flattering to see my name still being mentioned.
I still like to read this forum from time to time just to see what other owners are saying about their LS460 ownership exsperience. It does not surprise me that the wind noise issue continues and that there are still some unhappy LS460 owners. IMO the LS460 is not the car that the LS430 was and Lexus could have put the new innovation from the LS460 into the LS430 and had a much better car, as a matter of fact had Lexus had done that I would probably still be driving a Lexus.
After 3 mo. of ownwership I am still happy with the car I traded my LS460 for
but I regret to tell you that a few weeks ago a driver who reached for a bag of candy that fell from the passanger seat of his car veered into my lane and damaged the entire drivers side of my car, the speed limit in the area was 70mph. I suffered an injury to my arm an possibly some Cervical disc damage as I have had several surgeries on Cervical Disc in the past. I just got the car back about a couple of weeks ago and the body shop did a great job, the adverage person would not know the car was hit and in that there was no real structual damage the car still drives fine. I am still pleased with this car and do not regret my decision to trade my LS460 for it. I am not telling anyone what to do but make your decision on what you feel is in your best interest and go for it.
Most of the accidents in the area that I had my accident have been multiple fatalities so I am just glad to be able to post, the accident also reaffirmed what is important in life.
Best Regards and Be Safe

Last edited by Mallory H.; 11-27-07 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 06:49 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Mallory, glad to hear you're Okay. Sorry to hear about your accident. I was rear ended about 6 years ago in an LS Lexus and had neck and back problems. I sold that LS for an LS 430.

Stay safe!

Craig
Old 11-27-07, 06:58 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the update Mallory, and glad to hear you're ok. I wish you a full recovery. You definitely are lucky to have escaped from that accident intact.
Old 11-28-07, 07:29 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear about the accident, Mallory. Glad you're OK.

Out of curiosity, did the side airbags on the new car go off? I always wondered if they do from what sounds like a glancing blow (not to minimize it, I'm referring to angle here) vs a head-on to side collision.
Old 11-28-07, 08:56 AM
Mallory H.
Driver

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
Sorry to hear about the accident, Mallory. Glad you're OK.

Out of curiosity, did the side airbags on the new car go off? I always wondered if they do from what sounds like a glancing blow (not to minimize it, I'm referring to angle here) vs a head-on to side collision.
You are correct the angle and force of impact was not great enough to set off the side air bag but my arm was resting on the door arm rest where the impact seem to be the greatest. The damage to the car was the entire drivers side plus the front wheel was scuffed. I was able to maintain control of the car. I did hit the Onstar Emergency button and was very pleased with the assistance that I received. This accident happen on halloween and I had to laugh because the young man that hit me seem to be concerned that he get home on time to give out candy, it was a bag of candy that caused him to run into me.
Old 12-20-07, 07:34 PM
ghmundt
Driver

I am a very disappointed with all the wind noise problems that have been mentioned on this site that no one has posted any positive settlements with Lexus when the fix was installed and did not work. Has everyone given up on going after Lexus for this problem?
Old 12-21-07, 07:56 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by garyr
I called corp and informed them after the fix it's still unacceptable. They said they were sorry and gave me 3 free oil changes.
In my experience with Lexus Corp, their Customer Service is absolutely worthless. If your local dealer can't or won't fix the problem Lexus Corp will send you a form letter saying "We're sorry you're having a problem, but we can't help you." After you respond to their form letter, further emails or inquiries are totally ignored. It's the worst Customer Service I have experienced in 50 years of car ownership. Very surprising from a company that produces some of the best cars on the planet.
Old 12-21-07, 09:19 AM
newrr
Driver School Candidate

Default what else can we do?

Hi,

I am curious about the wind noise fix still...it's my first lexus, so I am not sure what to expect..but I do notice little rattles and noises which I didn't expect for a luxury car. The wind noise is a difficult issue since some ppl are probably happy with it and others are not.

In any case, I wonder if owners ever made it known about all these problems to car magazines or consumer reports. I haven't contacted Lexus Customer service, but given what I read from the forum the service doesn't seem to be that great. If this is the case, maybe some bad publicity would help get their act together. Everywhere you read, it's all about how satisfy Lexus customers are and how great service you get... but seems like the reality is different.
Old 12-21-07, 02:50 PM
PaulB4333
Driver School Candidate

Default Please no hate mail

Hoping not to get a lot of hate mail on this...but this is how I feel.

I am intensely disappointed with my LS 460. Wind noise, rattles in dashboard, aggravating Nav system, noisy pulsating brakes, choppy transmission, downshifting at the wrong time.

This is my first and last Lexus. Got a two year lease one year ago, and cannot wait to go back to BMW. I've owned 7 series BMW's for 15 years, my wife owns a great Audi A4...hardly ever a complaint.

ALL of my friends who have ridden in the car have had these observations:

Great Radio
Neat back up camera
Very noisy wind noise
Very noisy tire noise
Annoying Nav (can't change anything when moving)
Doesn't seem like an $80K car
Doesn't corner or handle like your BMW

I am also shocked by my two $400 "oil changes" and other stuff that seems like gouging. (I miss the "free" service on BMW)

Dealers have tried multiple times to fix the wind noise and have no complaint with their effort. Unfortunately nothing has worked.

The 7 series isn't perfect and the reason I made a change was due to my wife hating the I-drive and BMW's insistence on hanging on to something everyone hates.
However, the car had ZERO problems in 4 years and I loved the $0 balance every time I took in the car.

So for those of you happy with your LS 460, congratulations and this comment doesn't change that.

But I just don't like this car and in my mind, there is no comparison to the BMW 7 series (and I had such high hopes for the Lexus)
Old 12-21-07, 03:00 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

PaulB4333:
I understand totally how you feel. For 80 Grand you expect a little bit more. I'm on my last Lexus too. I also drive a BMW, currently a 2007 3-Series Coupe and I love it....and I love the free service for 4 years including brakes, windshield wipers, etc. etc. I'm on my 3nd BMW and every one has been trouble free and a blast to drive. BMW Customer Service has been outstanding. I thought I would try the Lexus...well, I've tried it and although mostly trouble-free, it's just not that much fun to drive. And I've been extremely unhappy with customer service from Lexus Corp USA. For those of you who are happy with your Lexus', I am happy for you. Different folks just have different tastes and it makes life interesting to try them all and see if they are for you.

Quick Reply: What did you do about your wind noise problem after the dealer fix didn't work