LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

squeak / spring sound front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 06:42 PM
newrr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeak / spring sound front suspension

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has experienced a small but audible squeak/spring sound from the front suspension when going over speed bumps. I just got my LS 460 for 2 weeks and noticed this sound..it's very faint, but noticeble.

I understand there's a TSIB for "spring" sound for front suspension, but mine is just built in July and is after the VIN change.. so it shouldn't still have it. I wonder if I need to get it replaced still?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-28-07, 05:27 AM
carfanmd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you sure its the suspension? I had squeaks from the dash and doors.
Old 10-28-07, 05:12 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I know what the thread starter is referring to. It sounds like the compression of springs in an old couch.

I've been thinking about that one and although it doesn't bother me, if they can quiet it down, I'll get it looked after.
Old 10-28-07, 07:35 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have asked my service consultant to order the new left and right spring assemblies that fix the spring binding problem.
Old 10-28-07, 08:22 PM
newrr
Driver School Candidate

Default spring problem

Yeah.. Burnaby.. guess you have the same problem as mine. Sounds like some old spring or the usual suspension sound when a car gets old... had that on a Toyota MR2 before.. but it was much louder and it's like 13 years old... not on a brand new car.

Anyway.. my car was built after the VIN change.. which is supposed not to have the pb.. what gives!

IS it a good idea to get them to fix it? I am worry about how good the repairs are since it's a lot of taking things apart!
Old 10-28-07, 10:00 PM
woppenhe
Rookie

Yep--I have it. Especially over wide bumps going slowly. They acknowledge the issue but have not decided whether it is a normal condition or not. I have gotten used to this and several other issues, which must be their strategy since they do not like to fix things except at the 5 and 10K servicing, which I think is a mistake on their part as well. For example, I had to ride around with a misaligned trunk for 5K before they spend all of 10 minutes aligning it properly. Other issues are the hesitation forward from a stop for which there is a non recommended software upgrade for the transmission, inaccuracy in the Nav system in finding a street number, and a rather stiffer ride which I am again getting used to. I have also had two episodes of accelerating from a stop when the engine raced, and then the tranmission shifted into gear. The wind noise issue is not an issue for me, but the car is not as quiet as the LS430. I noticed that I or someone bottomed out the front bumper and left a scuff, so be careful about going over those speed bumps and acute dips in the road as well. I am a very conserative driver whose most important goals are quietness and quality of ride, meaning softer without swaying. on the positive side is what we are not mentioning on sites such as this. Good milage, nice leather, and an 8 speed very responsive transmission, great sound system, excellent safety restraint systems, etc. They should allow more adjustments of the nav when moving, such as selecting a prior destination, but I get the feeling that perhaps the nav was not quite ready to be prime time. On the other hand, the traffic reporting system is terrifiic, by contrast. 2 steps foreward, 1/2 back it seems.
Old 10-28-07, 11:19 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The Warranty repair is covered under SU002-07 which states:

This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

So, there shouldn't be any problem for any dealer to implement this fix.
Old 10-28-07, 11:29 PM
woppenhe
Rookie

"Some 2007 model year LS 460/460L vehicle customers may complain of a front
suspension noise described as a “spring” noise while driving slow and turning the steering wheel to the left or right lock position."

This is not the issue of which we are complaining. Our steering wheels are straight ahead, and it is the up down motion of the car over a speed bump that results in the sound like a squeaky couch spring. Could be the same springs and the same repair, but that is not what the TSIB details.
Old 12-17-11, 01:33 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default The mother of all thread revivals...

Curious - as I have some variant of this on my '08 - does anyone have any updates/resolution tips to add? Thank you!
Old 05-02-19, 07:43 PM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

This is an old thread, but for anyone doing research or needs to solve this issue, Lexus has an updated front spring that can be installed to address the issue. I think the spring was made available in 2008 or 2009 and that part was then used from the changeover year onward.
Old 05-03-19, 04:35 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by abs
This is an old thread, but for anyone doing research or needs to solve this issue, Lexus has an updated front spring that can be installed to address the issue. I think the spring was made available in 2008 or 2009 and that part was then used from the changeover year onward.
Thanks a lot for posting this.

Mine has had this tiny squeak since purchase (2nd owner) and I never had an actual explanation.
I suspected the shock mounts but hadn’t done any troubleshooting.

I’m thinking I’ll replace the whole strut when my shocks finally go.
Old 05-09-19, 05:35 PM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dfkd
Thanks a lot for posting this.

Mine has had this tiny squeak since purchase (2nd owner) and I never had an actual explanation.
I suspected the shock mounts but hadn’t done any troubleshooting.

I’m thinking I’ll replace the whole strut when my shocks finally go.
I just received brand new OEM springs, the newer part number. Looks like they added a plastic wrap around the spring on the first round coil right where it meets the flattened coil above it. The flattened coil sits against the rubber of the upper strut mount. I guess they realized that the two pieces of metal could rub and make a noise under specific conditions. I'm also hoping the upgraded spring is a bit firmer than the original spring design used in the 2007 MY.
Old 10-05-19, 05:42 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did anyone figure out the problem to the squeaking front end issues while going slow over speed bumps? My 08 LS460 has about 57k miles on it. The previous owner replaced the control arm bushings. New brakes and tires. The sound going over speed bumps slow, sounds like a creaking spring sound coming from the front end. Did the new Lexus replacement spring quiet out the noise? I want to get rid of that sound too and want to be guided in getting the right parts. Let me know what you have done to quiet the squeaking noise. Thank you.