LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Shaking after 60 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 07:50 AM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shaking after 60 MPH

I was driving my fathers LS460 today and when i got to 60 MPH the car would start to shake pretty violently, but the wierdest part was when i got to 70 it would stop, and then if i got back into the 60's start again. any ideas?
Old 10-04-07, 08:50 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure sounds like a harmonics problem. As per standard procedure, check the the wheels/tires first, make sure they're balanced and the pressure is the same in all of them. Maybe you might need a road-force balance?
Old 10-04-07, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes, definitely check the wheels/tires. make sure they are balanced well, preferably with road force balancing. that sounds like the issue here
Old 10-04-07, 11:39 AM
mmorozov
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the same problem. The suspension feels very busy at all speeds, but it gets much worse at 20 mph and 50-60 mph. At 80 mph the shadder is almost gone.
Old 10-04-07, 12:04 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

I feel this around 70 mph and I've noticed it since I got the car. But, I forgot to ask the service guy when I dropped off the car a week ago for the window fix.
Old 10-04-07, 12:39 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Sounds like the tires have flat spots on them from either sitting in one position to long or someone lashed them down to tight either on the Ro Ro ship or the car carrier. I doubt the wheels are out of balance.

In most cased the wobble will leave in 1000 mile if not have the dealer change them.
Old 10-04-07, 12:58 PM
rajwany
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by jettie1767
I feel this around 70 mph and I've noticed it since I got the car. But, I forgot to ask the service guy when I dropped off the car a week ago for the window fix.
hmm wind noise bothers u but the car shakin' does not, u forget.....
Old 10-04-07, 05:26 PM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

Well the car has over 1000 miles so the tires being placed wrong isn't it, and the TPMS has not given any alerts, there hasnt been any problems i.e. Flat Tires, Bent Rim. Might it be the suspension?
Old 10-04-07, 05:35 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

That is so typical of a wheel balance problem. That's the first thing I would address.
Old 10-04-07, 05:37 PM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

yea but what i found wierd was that it only occured while driving 60 - 70 Miles/Hr. Not before, not after
Old 10-04-07, 05:47 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

That's a wheel balancing problem if you can drive out of the vibration at certain speeds. I would have all four wheels balanced with a road force machine. Flat spots are not flat tires. It's caused by the car being parked for a period of time in the same spot. It could have happened on the dealers lot.
I would have the tires balanced for sure and also have them inspect the tires.

Craig
Old 10-04-07, 06:24 PM
jettie1767
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rajwany
hmm wind noise bothers u but the car shakin' does not, u forget.....
Yes, because I drive faster than between 60 - 70 mph. If I feel it, it is very momentary. The wind noise, however, grows louder from over 35 mph up to 100+ mph.

Get it?
Old 10-04-07, 09:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankyJ
yea but what i found wierd was that it only occured while driving 60 - 70 Miles/Hr. Not before, not after
like others said, if it's just at certain speed, very likely it's balancing
Old 03-24-11, 08:55 PM
DanHaug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '09 Lexus LS460 Shakes Like There's No Tomorrow!

My 2009 Lexus LS460 has been shaking since the day I bought it. In the beginning, the dealership replaced every tire (more than once) and they've spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure it out with no luck. I've complained about the shaking during each visit to the dealership, but for some reason they don't seem to feel the shaking anymore and claim it must be the road not the car (and they look at me like I've got 3 eyes and no brains). However, I travel several times a week, rent various low-end american made cars at every stop, and on the weekends I drive my wifes GX470 with the kids in the back, and EVERYTHING I drive is much, much smoother than my LS460. I'm thinking about video taping it and showing the local Orlando TV stations how absurd this is, but I really just want it fixed, so will give Jimmy one more chance to fix it. As others have stated in this thread, the car shakes differently at different speeds, but it shakes most violently around 78 miles per hour. If I grab the passenger seat driving down the interstate or toll roads at this speed (or look at my radar detector attached to the windshield), I really start to wonder how the nuts haven't come undone on every bolt on the car. My car now has 28,000 miles on it and I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to give them one more chance to make this right. If I come out empty handed again, I think it may be time to contact the tv station, newspaper and the Attorney General.
Old 03-25-11, 05:41 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Here is an odd report from one of the other Lexus owner forums. I've never seen anything like this anywhere else, so it may be "urban legend."

This one is from LexusOwnerClub.com: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...dpost&p=414328

Quote from LexusOwnersClub.com:
Lexus issued a service bulletin that affected my 2008, sorry I don't have the bulletin number. The purpose of the bulletin was to resolve a harmonic type vibration that was intermittent depending on vehicle speed and road conditions. This was the exact issue that I was having. The fix was to remove the interior headliner and beef up the bracket that was attached to the gps antenna. This bracket would start vibrating and the entire car would feel like there was a drive line vibration or a tire/wheel vibration problem. You could hear it and feel it in the seats. Sort of like being in a barrel with it vibrating around you. I decided that I did not want the dealership to tear apart my new $75000.00 car, knowing the detail and workmanship that could be destroyed during the process. Possibly creating several new problems to cure one existing problem. So, my wife and I just decided to wait until the refreshened 2010 hit the street and decided to give it one more try as we liked the car over all disregarding the problems that we had. The gps bracket issue should have been addressed at the factory on your 2010. If I were in your shoes, I would ask your dealer to remove all four wheels and tires and replace them temporarily with a new set from another new car or demonstrator. If this does not resolve the issue, contact customer service and ask them to send a Lexus factory tech rep. to inspect and do the diagnostics on it. Depending on the state that you reside, your legal recourse thru the "lemon law" may have to be exercised if they can not fix it. This could be much more than wheels and tires, but until the homework is done it's anybody's guess. Insist on closing out the work order on the car after each repair attempt and do not accept "customer states that there is a vibration". "No defect found-car operates as designed". This happened to me several times. The mechanic would test drive the car and acknowledge the vibration and when they could not find it that is what they would do to protect themselves. Best of Luck
End Quote

A way to evaluate your car for this problem might be to take a grapefruit-sized piece of modeling clay and press it onto the shark-fin antenna to see if that gets rid of the vibration. If it gets rid of the vibration then that would probably be conclusive.

Last edited by jmcraney; 03-25-11 at 05:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Shaking after 60 MPH