LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Xenon Match Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 06:50 PM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
also, 8k "appears" brighter not because it's brighter, the reason is because of the glaring since it has very different color wavelength so the reflector/projector can't concentrate all the light on the ground. therefore, usable light on the ground of higher color temperature bulbs are less than factory, and the glaring (light shooting everywhere) give people the perception that higher color temperature lights are brighter
Well said. Very bright ambient light is great for show but sucks for driving.
Old 01-22-09, 07:35 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Boyz.......I personally installed 6 kits on my rides.....43k to 8k I know WTF I'm talking about. Who gives a rats butt the science of what makes a factory HID light tick...ain't no factory HID fog light kits available. A 43k fog light bulb ain't gonna match the head light bulb, it's gonna look yellow in comparsion...It's no problem what so ever night and day with light projection ....but go for it fellas.

Last edited by garyr; 01-23-09 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 03:38 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Originally Posted by garyr
Boyz.......I personally installed 6 kits on my rides.....43k to 8k I know WTF I'm talking about. Who gives a rats butt the science of what makes a factory HID light tick...ain't no factory HID fog light kits available. A 43k fog light bulb ain't gonna match the head light bulb, it's gonna look yellow in comparion...It's no problem what so ever night and day with light projection ....but go for it fellas.
I agree. It's two totally different monsters. All I'm saying is that for $44 I made my fogs get d*mn close in color to my low beams...and I'm still street legal.

As for my window tint on the other hand...I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
Old 01-23-09, 05:37 AM
BenLS460
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldnt recommend it... i Changed to 6k bulb and compare it to stock, the stock is so much brighter
Old 03-19-09, 10:39 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

I changed my high beams to Silverstar 9005, and the change from original DRL light yellowness is absolutely unnoticeable, at low power. However, when the high beams are turned on, the Silverstar bulbs look a little bit brighter (noticed when I changed one side only). However, when both sides were changed I could not really tell with a side to side comparison whether the Silverstars were worth the extra $$$. Overall, the Silverstars do seem marginally brighter, but again, negligible. Change procedure is a PITA too as you have to pull out the filler tube for washer fluid (driver side) and move the fuse box (passenger side). Even then space is very cramped and uncomfortable. Overall NOT worth the trip to store to buy bulbs, trouble of changing bulbs and $$$.

However, when I changed the fogs from 9006 to 9005 Silverstar (with slight mod using Dremel tool), there was an immediate and marked difference in the light output. Significantly whiter and almost 100% brighter. I do recommend this change. Due to change in filament position, the light beam is also wider than original 9006 beam. Well worth the $$$ and easier to change than the fogs.

Last edited by ychachad; 03-19-09 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-22-09, 08:02 PM
Mike_in_DTW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ychachad
I changed my high beams to Silverstar 9005, and the change from original DRL light yellowness is absolutely unnoticeable, at low power. However, when the high beams are turned on, the Silverstar bulbs look a little bit brighter (noticed when I changed one side only). However, when both sides were changed I could not really tell with a side to side comparison whether the Silverstars were worth the extra $$$. Overall, the Silverstars do seem marginally brighter, but again, negligible. Change procedure is a PITA too as you have to pull out the filler tube for washer fluid (driver side) and move the fuse box (passenger side). Even then space is very cramped and uncomfortable. Overall NOT worth the trip to store to buy bulbs, trouble of changing bulbs and $$$.

However, when I changed the fogs from 9006 to 9005 Silverstar (with slight mod using Dremel tool), there was an immediate and marked difference in the light output. Significantly whiter and almost 100% brighter. I do recommend this change. Due to change in filament position, the light beam is also wider than original 9006 beam. Well worth the $$$ and easier to change than the fogs.
Can you elaborate on the modifications to the 9005 bubs to use them in your fog lights?
Old 03-25-09, 12:25 PM
Stl-Joe
Driver School Candidate

Default 9005 vs. 9006 Silverstars for fog light switch

Mike,

I too would like to know more about why you prefer the 9005 SilverStars over the 9006 bulbs and details concerning how the install is made. I am planning this project in the next couple of weeks (I'm so tired of seeing the yellow fogs next to the bright headlamps) and would appreciate further input on why I should go with 9005 versus 9006 for the fog light swap and how exactly to perform the task. Thanks.

Stl-Joe.
Old 04-02-09, 07:01 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

There are several sites for example:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/light...isibility.html
Old 04-05-09, 11:44 AM
me_ccie
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone explain how to take the fender liner off to access the fog light? I followed the instructions in the owners manual but can't seem to get the liner off. Do I need to muscle it out? Am I missing any screws/tabs other than the 2 plastic screws on the edge of the fender and the one deep inside the fender?

TIA
Old 04-05-09, 01:36 PM
Mike_in_DTW
Driver School Candidate

You don't need to remove the fender liner. There are 3 screws that hold the little deflector in front of the wheel on and then there are 2 more just behind the lower portion of the bumper. Just pull the thin plastic cover down and you can reach up to where the fog lights are. There's no need to remove any of the plastic fasteners that are inside the wheel opening.
Old 04-05-09, 02:00 PM
Mike_in_DTW
Driver School Candidate

Default Hoen Xenon Match Bulbs

I replaced the fog lights in my 08 LS460L with Silver Star 9006 bulbs. While there's an improvement in brightness, they still appear yellow in comparison to the HID low beams. A while back I replaced the fog lights and high beams in my 06 Vette with Hoen Xenon Match bulbs. In both cases, they're almost a perfect match for the HID low beams. I'm going to order a set of the Hoen 9006's and see if they're a better match. I'll report back once I receive them and get them installed.
Old 04-13-09, 05:54 AM
Mike_in_DTW
Driver School Candidate

Default Hoen Xenon Match 9006 Bulbs

I installed the Hoen Xenon Match 9006 bulbs in the fog lights on my LS460L. The are almost a perfect color match for the HID low beams. While the Silverstar Ultra's were a lot whiter than the stock bulbs, these make a remarkable difference. I will post pictures as soon as I have an opportunity to take them. In the meanwhile, I reccomend the Hoen bulbs for any who's trying to color match their HID low beams
Old 04-13-09, 09:37 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike_in_DTW
I installed the Hoen Xenon Match 9006 bulbs in the fog lights on my LS460L. The are almost a perfect color match for the HID low beams. While the Silverstar Ultra's were a lot whiter than the stock bulbs, these make a remarkable difference. I will post pictures as soon as I have an opportunity to take them. In the meanwhile, I reccomend the Hoen bulbs for any who's trying to color match their HID low beams
I'd love to see some pics! Where did you purchase the bulbs?
Old 04-13-09, 04:32 PM
22rear295
Driver School Candidate

i just changed my fogs with the silverstar i was expecting more of a match the heons were on sale but the pics of g2 looked so well i just ran with his bulbs.... dissappointed
Old 04-13-09, 05:45 PM
Mike_in_DTW
Driver School Candidate

Default Hoen Xenon Match 9006 Bulbs

Here are a few pic's of the Hoen Xenon Match 9006 bulbs:

For some reason the pictures make the lights appear yellow. They don't look that way in person. The best example is the right side headlight and fog light in each of the pictures. These lights are much whiter than the Silverstar Ultra's I had previously installed. I purchased them directly from the Hoen web site at http://www.hoen-usa.com/. They were $29.99 + shipping.