LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind noise update (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 07:29 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

You could always test drive the car for wind noise. If it has noise, don't accept it. The car is awesome excpet for the wind noise. You could always wait for an 08 model...

Craig
Old 06-01-07, 02:01 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lexus Customer Service Rep at my dealership told me yesterday (May 31,2007) that there is still no word from Lexus other than they are aware of the complaints about the wind noise, she also said that she was not aware of any tire issues but she was going to get with the parts manager to see what other tire Lexus may be recommending.
I believe that the reason that we are seeing some post that are saying that their dealer is going to change out the the two front side windows and add some insulation is becaues Lexus may be letting a select group of dealers see if this is going to work and if it does than my guess is we will see a TSB. One thing for sure is Lexus knows they have a problem.
Old 06-03-07, 07:29 PM
Robot78
Driver School Candidate

"Out of the 7,000+ hits here, how many were potential buyers that now are thinking twice about buying the car?"

You can include me in that group. My wife's GS 300 has 95K miles on it and we are ready for a new car. Almost ready to pull the trigger on a LS 460, but I'll probably wait until the new model year is out. Besides the wind noise, I'm hoping they will do something to make transfer of songs to the stereo hard drive easier.

I've asked a couple of dealers (Salesmen) about the wind noise issue, and they deny knowing anything about it.
Old 06-03-07, 09:00 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Robot78
Besides the wind noise, I'm hoping they will do something to make transfer of songs to the stereo hard drive easier.
I don't quite understand that remark. The user has two choices now, Auto REC (recording begins when a disk is inserted) or Manual (user activates by pressing REC). The disk is played on the CD/DVD Player while the HDD races ahead and records at 4X playing speed. The only annoyance is the Nanny that disables some functions whilst the car is in motion.
Old 06-04-07, 02:44 AM
hankbrande
Driver School Candidate

"Out of the 7,000+ hits here, how many were potential buyers that now are thinking twice about buying the car?"

Call me an optimist - I ordered a 460L on 4/28 which is scheduled for delivery in August. I have been in touch with staff from the dealership and they assure me that both the "whistling" from the mirrors and the general wind noise fix will already be in place on the car I receive. I guess I'm rolling the dice in a big way ...
Old 06-04-07, 10:58 AM
icmoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hankbrande

Call me an optimist - I ordered a 460L on 4/28 which is scheduled for delivery in August. I have been in touch with staff from the dealership and they assure me that both the "whistling" from the mirrors and the general wind noise fix will already be in place on the car I receive. I guess I'm rolling the dice in a big way ...
You will not be sorry. I've had my LS460(my first Lexus) for 2 months and have put on 6500 miles driving in all kinds of wind and weather on long open highway trips. It has taken me till now to identify the "wind noise" certain people complain about. If this is your first LS Lexus, you probably will not even notice anything unusual. I have never heard a whistle noise from the side mirror. I have to turn the audio system off for the wind noise to be noticeable. The road noise from the Dunlop Sport Maxx tires is a much more a noise problem for me than wind noise.

You will enjoy your new Lexus LS460.
Old 06-04-07, 12:15 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Seeing is believing and until several people post that the wind noise in their cars has been corrected you have no gurantee that anything that comes off the production line 2007 or 2008 will not have wind noise.

Last edited by Mallory H.; 07-01-07 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 12:17 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't have a whistle from the mirrors. Just wind noise from the drivers side
window. I wouldn't worry about it, it's a great car...

Craig
Old 06-04-07, 02:05 PM
Robot78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Burnaby
I don't quite understand that remark. The user has two choices now, Auto REC (recording begins when a disk is inserted) or Manual (user activates by pressing REC). The disk is played on the CD/DVD Player while the HDD races ahead and records at 4X playing speed. The only annoyance is the Nanny that disables some functions whilst the car is in motion.

Burnaby,
I guess I'm getting a little off-topic, but I appreciate your input.

It sounds easy enough to put in a disc and have it transferred to the hard drive. I guess it would be a lot easier to have a USB input so that your entire library could be transferred from an external hard drive.

If you don't want the entire CD transferred, can you select only certain tracks?

Also, if you have burned a disc (say from i-tunes or music match jukebox), does the track/artist information get "recognized"? I rarely buy actual CD's now, but purchase most of my music through i-tunes.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-07, 02:39 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hankbrande
" ... I ordered a 460L on 4/28 which is scheduled for delivery in August ... I have been in touch with staff from the dealership and they assure me that both the "whistling" from the mirrors and the general wind noise fix will already be in place on the car I receive. I guess I'm rolling the dice in a big way ...
My car is due in August too.

I wonder if there's a way to test drive the vehicle before accepting deliver of it....

HBH
Old 06-04-07, 03:11 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

Sure you can test drive the car but one person post that they did not detect the noise until they had put about 6.000 miles on the car. If the dealer is saying your car which is due in august will not have the wind noise because the issue would have been taken care of, I would go back and ask what did Lexus do to take care of it and show me in writing how the problem was fixed.
I said it before and I'll say it again until myself or another owner post that the fix has been made successfuly on our cars than to think that a car on order will not have the wind noise is a big gamble.
Good Luck
Old 06-04-07, 05:49 PM
IndyJeff
Rookie

I had my first oil change/tire rotation today and I mentioned the wind noise. My service advisor said she had heard of the issue, and put me on a list to be notified when Lexus has a resolution.

On the service receipt, it reads: "Waiting for new glass and possibly mirrors... will be notified by Lexus when parts arrive."

FWIW....
Old 06-04-07, 06:30 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

The dealer customer service rep is suppose to contact me tomorrow about tires. When I mentioned to her about the wind noise she said Lexus was aware but made no mention as to the glass replacement. On April 1 had the wind noise documented. I will ask her again about the wind noise fix tommorow. I find it interesting that they say they are waiting on a resolution from Lexus but puts on your paper work will call when glass and possibly mirrors come in.
Old 06-04-07, 06:37 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallory H.
I find it interesting that they say they are waiting on a resolution from Lexus but puts on your paper work will call when glass and possibly mirrors come in.
Yea, that is interesting. As if only the squeaky wheels, or noisy windows, will get the grease!
Old 06-04-07, 08:46 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This sadly demonstrates that the service advisers in most dealerships are flying by the seat of their pants. You either get ignorance of the problem, as I did with no resolution in sight, or some fabrication that raises owners' hopes with little substance to support it. I have hoped at times that buying upmarket would bring a significant increase in the professionalism both at the sales and service level. However, it is apparent that the line between the Used car lots and the pricey showrooms is blurry indeed, the only distinction being the quality of the thread in their suits. The more things change in the car business, the more they remain the same...

Quick Reply: Wind noise update (merged threads)