LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Programming Homelink for Genie

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 05:41 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Try holding your handheld garage-door-opener a little farther away from the HomeLink when you are doing the setup, like half way down the windshield. If that doesn't work then let us know, I am sure some of our gurus can help you.
Tried that still the same. I also tried putting it in my sun glass holder which I read somewhere but still the same outcome. I hold the button and the light flashes slowly and then it just stops. Never starts flashing rapid.
Old 11-02-12, 05:51 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Tried that still the same. I also tried putting it in my sun glass holder which I read somewhere but still the same outcome. I hold the button and the light flashes slowly and then it just stops. Never starts flashing rapid.
Well, the next thing I would do is assure myself that the garage door handheld control that I was using is good. To do this I would get about 100 feet away from my garage door opener and operate the door through a cople of open-close cycles. If it works reliably then I would be confident that the remote control is good.

Last edited by jmcraney; 11-02-12 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-02-12, 07:35 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

I just programmed a brand new Genie remote with the receiver and the remote works to open and close. I've tried programming the Genie to #1 and #2, still the same. Don't get it.
Old 11-03-12, 05:04 AM
jmcraney

HomeLink has a great site to help you with programming and they will help you on the phone too.

Here is a link to their site: http://www.homelink.com
Old 11-04-12, 06:25 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I've encountered the same issue with 2 different openers, one very recently.

I was eventually successful after repeating the process over and over until it finally connected. Took around 1/2 hour and was frustrating.

However in retrospect one thing that I did is open the sun roof while inside the garage. May not have made a difference but I worked soon after. Good luck.
Old 11-04-12, 07:35 AM
jmcraney

If you have two or three different garage door openers - I am talking about the electro mechanical device that is attached to the door - and they are all the same models, you can use one of the remotes to program all three buttons on your HomeLink..
Old 11-07-12, 05:27 AM
SGVxPRIMO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone having issues with programming a metal gate and not a garage door? Dont know how im supposed to find the learn button on the motor that powers the metal gate
Old 11-07-12, 05:58 AM
jmcraney

Some gate products, GateKing is one, can not be operated with HomeLink. Others use fixed codes that can be learned by the HomeLink but are not "rolling code" that have to be learned by the gate. X-10 codes are an example of fixed codes that can be learned by the HomeLink. If your HomeLink seems to program normally when you use your gate-remote then you are probably all set and you should just try it on the gate.

Last edited by jmcraney; 11-07-12 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-31-13, 07:58 AM
dshap84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got it working, here's what I was doing wrong.

Originally Posted by jmcraney
HomeLink has a great site to help you with programming and they will help you on the phone too.

Here is a link to their site: http://www.homelink.com
I called and figured out what I was doing wrong, thanks for the tip.

I was having all of the same problems that everybody else was having. I followed the directions and I could even see the led on my garage door unit flashing when I would press my homelink. So it was communicating but still not opening the garage door.

Turns out all I needed to do was program the homelink using an alternate button on the garage door remote. I have a genie intellicode garage unit and the remote has 3 buttons. One large button which opens and closes the garage door and two smaller ones that don't operate anything. What homelink support said is that with the rolling code you need the homelink to be programmed to the remote/model in general and not with the button that has been programmed with the actual signal/code.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-31-13, 11:41 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Homelink

Have no experience with Genie. Have owned three different homes with "Lift Master" openers. Each home had three garages and each programmed per instructions. I had to operate the unit as no rolling code and when that naturally failed, I continued on with the instructions for the rolling code and no problems. I have home link programmed into each vehicle so they will open any of the three doors. Takes about one minute to program each one.
Old 10-31-13, 08:06 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Genie Pro and on my first shot it worked like a charm.
Old 12-14-13, 11:36 AM
Clintbo
Driver School Candidate

I was having the same problem on my 2000 ES300, I watched this video and it cleared something up for me because it worked the first try.

Old 12-27-13, 09:31 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The video previously sums it up visually perfectly. As as Johnny said previously... there are TWO sequences you need to do. Set the Homelink to the remote first, to get the frequency of the system. Make sure the remote is already programmed and running. Then you do the second "learning" sequence to the actual opener.

Originally Posted by Johnny
There are two important sequences to follow in this procedure:

1. Pairing the car's Homelink system with the door opener's handheld remote, and...

2. Pairing the door opener with the car. It is important to perform both.

Before starting, set up a ladder to gain access to the "Learn" button on the garage door opener. No need to depress the button at this time. Also make sure the car does not obstruct the passage of the garage door, as it may be activated during this procedure. Keep children animals or other obstructions clear of the moving door's path. To avoid activating the door when pairing the handheld remote to the Homelink, pair the two a block away from your garage.

SEQUENCE I

1. No need to have engine running. Homelink is always active on Lexus cars.

2. Clear/reset the Lexus Homelink by depressing buttons 1 & 3 for 20 seconds.

3. Hold the Chamberlain remote within three inches from the LS Homelink keypad.

4. Depress and hold the desired Homelink button 1, 2 or 3. LED turns on steadily.

5. Depress and hold the Chamberlain remote keypad until the Homelink LED begins to flash rapidly. Release both.

SEQUENCE II

6. Exit car and access the door opener's "Learn" button. Briefly depress the "Learn" button until its LED turns on.

7. Within the allotted 30 second period, return to the car and depress the chosen keypad button briefly one time.

The opener's lights will flash confirming the pairing of the garage door opener, and the car's Homelink.

Test the operation the Homelink. You're done!

The above WILL WORK. If might not work the first time, but this is the procedure on how to do it. I have a '99RX and '04LS and both were programmed doing this, so can't imagine the new LS won't take the codes.
Old 12-27-13, 03:30 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Secret is to keep pushing the buttons until it "takes." I get the impression people follow the instructions religiously and then report failure after one press of the Homelink button in "Learn" mode. It almost ALWAYS takes two or three pokes for my cars/openers to synch up.
Old 02-07-14, 08:53 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

need help with mien, I have a genie it just will not blink fast no matter what i do.... I've programmed my inlaws house to my car so I know i'm doing the right things when I press both buttons on the genie it will not blink fast.. I have it in intellicode one but it will just not program!? wtf... Any ideas

Quick Reply: Programming Homelink for Genie