LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind Noise 460 (Not 460L) in Windows

Old 02-13-07, 10:03 AM
acecert
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wind Noise 460 (Not 460L) in Windows

Purchased my LS 460 last week and noticed when going 55 mph or more there was wind noise coming from both the drivers front window and passenger's front window. Decided to go back to the dealer and was told that is a known problem with the LS 460 (not the 460L because I was told they use a different type of glass which apparently has a better seal). You can't hear it with conversation or radio, but if there isn't anything on, it's there. Kinda like when a window is just barely cracked while driving is the sound you hear. I test drove a different LS 460 while at the dealer and was able to verify it too had the same wind noise. The dealer suggested that if there is enough comments made that Lexus would undoubtedly look into a "campaign" to correct the problem. Went online and checked a few review sites by consumers and noticed others had also commented on this wind noise. If you have the LS 460 (not the 460L) check it out...and if you hear it, consider filing it with Lexus Customer Service at 1-800-255-3987. Overall, a great car...things like this can happen with the first year of a body redesign.
Old 02-13-07, 10:07 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incredible. So they knowingly let the new design leave the factory with a known wind noise issue? They had to know folks would complain. Geesh it is a $80+ car.
Old 02-13-07, 04:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
Incredible. So they knowingly let the new design leave the factory with a known wind noise issue? They had to know folks would complain. Geesh it is a $80+ car.
huh? how did you come to that conclusion?
Old 02-13-07, 05:35 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

No problem on mine. As a matter-of-fact, I marvel at how much more quiet it is than the 430 was. What interests me is the comment on the different kind of glass. My windshield does not repel water, even though it is advertised that way. They just replaced it 2 days ago, and it's the same. The ES330 loaner they gave me, was just fine, as were my '97 ES300 and '04 LS430. Again, unbeleivable in a $70,000 car.
Old 02-13-07, 07:33 PM
socaljint
Driver School Candidate

No noise on mine at all, better let the dealer have a look.
Old 02-13-07, 07:58 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Dealer had a look at it. They were the ones that told me about the issue and that is what prompted me to test drive another new LS 460 to verify. It had the same issue and the salesman who drove with me heard the noise as well. It's subtle, but there. It wouldn't bother you if listening to the radio or having a conversation but if it's quiet, it feels like you need to roll up the front windows when they are fully up. And yes, I was told that the 460L has a different glass type than the 460 which apparently has something to do with the seal. I wondered if it was known elsewhere, so as I previously mentioned, I went out on the web and found consumer owner reviews that notated the same thing I was experiencing with wind noise at 55 mph plus. If it's happening to your 460, consider calling Lexus Customer Service (number listed in my previous post) to advise them of how common of an issue to determine if they need to launch a fix campaign. Thanks for your help! Overall, I'm really happy with the vehicle!
Old 02-13-07, 09:48 PM
socaljint
Driver School Candidate

I don't know, even with no sound it's quiet beyond belief. Strange, hope it works out for you.
Old 02-13-07, 10:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

interesting, i guess the laminated windows do make noticeable difference on the 460 as well huh
Old 02-14-07, 12:46 PM
IndyJeff
Rookie

Originally Posted by acecert
Dealer had a look at it. They were the ones that told me about the issue and that is what prompted me to test drive another new LS 460 to verify. It had the same issue and the salesman who drove with me heard the noise as well. It's subtle, but there. It wouldn't bother you if listening to the radio or having a conversation but if it's quiet, it feels like you need to roll up the front windows when they are fully up. And yes, I was told that the 460L has a different glass type than the 460 which apparently has something to do with the seal. I wondered if it was known elsewhere, so as I previously mentioned, I went out on the web and found consumer owner reviews that notated the same thing I was experiencing with wind noise at 55 mph plus. If it's happening to your 460, consider calling Lexus Customer Service (number listed in my previous post) to advise them of how common of an issue to determine if they need to launch a fix campaign. Thanks for your help! Overall, I'm really happy with the vehicle!
All the reviews of the 460 say that there is practically no wind noise. Hopefully (for me) it's an isolated problem.
Old 02-15-07, 05:55 AM
KC3
Driver School Candidate

Only issue I raised at 5,000 mile check. Dealership road tested and then tested demo 460 concluded that my "noise" was the same in the demo and therefore typical of the model. Was the first 460 they had in for 5000 mile check. Promised to readdress if I complained again.
Old 02-15-07, 07:44 AM
dssxxxx
Driver School Candidate

No noise.....whatever the speed.

Less noise than my 04 LS. Can hardly hear the snows.
Old 02-15-07, 08:22 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
huh? how did you come to that conclusion?
They claim that some of the rattles are the cause of the retaining clips on the windshield. They have TSB for a long time calling for removal however they continue to ship with these pins.
There is one conclusion. Just wait until your dash starts to rattle.. Think the wind noise is bad. GS 60k car does the same..
Old 02-15-07, 09:11 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I test drove the ls460 yesterday. There was a little bit of wind noise around the front side windows going 55mph, and the salesman heard it too. I think you can hear the noise because the rest of the car is really, really quiet.

However, I'll take the wind noise any day over the transmission in my 2007 es350 which is supposed to slip between gears!
Old 02-15-07, 12:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure of this, but some of you may be hearing subtle noises you haven't heard before, because the rest of the car is so quiet.
Old 02-15-07, 04:26 PM
acecert
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I'm not sure of this, but some of you may be hearing subtle noises you haven't heard before, because the rest of the car is so quiet.
It is subtle, but definitely there. Since most people are often either listening to the radio, talking on a cell phone or talking to a passenger, you wouldn't hear it. There's no question this cabin is very quiet. However, the subtle wind noise is definitely there and has been noticed by people who are reviewing on websites. In my particular case, (as I later found out why through the service dept because I was told by the salesperson that he just changed his mind and wanted the long wheel base model), my car had 3,000 miles on it and it was traded in because of the wind noise...so the dealer bought it back and he bought the 460L which does not have this issue. It's a quiet car, it's just that wind noise can be annoying where any noisy cabin I have been in I don't hear that unless the window is slightly cracked. If you are experiencing this issue, just call lexus customer service and as mentioned previously, they will open a fix campaign to rectify it. It doesn't sound like to difficult of a situation to correct - perhaps a trim modification would eliminate the wind noise. You only hear it at high speeds around 55 mph plus.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wind Noise 460 (Not 460L) in Windows