LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus LS460L Self-Parking Video

Old 08-25-06, 12:20 PM
roubaixpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus LS460L Self-Parking Video

I saw this at gizmodo for people too intimidated to parallel park this big car. My ride is an IS350, but I thought you all here might be interested.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/clips/lex...iew-196551.php
Old 08-25-06, 12:55 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thx for the link, I read the article and it was pretty neat, I like how the website wasn't as long-winded as other reviews.

And the parking video is great!
Old 08-25-06, 01:45 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the link...can't wait to see the LS460 in person
Old 08-25-06, 07:03 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Thanks for the post. I couldn't get the video to work, but the comments were "somewhat" interesting.

HOWEVER .. I don't understand his comment that "the tire pressure monitor is on top of the roof." He then shows a pic of what "I thought" (for sure) was the satellite radio antenna. (How could a tire pressure monitor be on the roof?)

The tire monitor things on my C6 and Caddy are in each wheel.

By the way, already, I'm starting to see some jealousy emerging from the "non-Lexus" people by little snide digs in their comments.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-25-06, 07:10 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

The tire pressure thing was an error on the writer's part.

There is also a video segment of the self-park, featured in the Edmunds' early test drive article.
Old 08-25-06, 07:45 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

About the tire pressure monitor, they do work through wireless signals so perhaps along with everything else (radio, keyless entry, GPS etc), that receiver also works for the pressure monitors. I still wouldnt mention it the way he did though; made it seem like that's all it was for. How long has he been an automotive reporter?
Old 08-25-06, 09:05 PM
ikey78
Driver

Very nice article. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-25-06, 09:28 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen the future, and it is good!

Can't wait to see this car in person. Thanks for posting the vid roubaixpro.
Old 08-26-06, 01:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow, that's SWEEETTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

i am sure my wife is gonna love this thing
Old 08-26-06, 01:35 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dfkd
About the tire pressure monitor, they do work through wireless signals so perhaps along with everything else (radio, keyless entry, GPS etc), that receiver also works for the pressure monitors. I still wouldnt mention it the way he did though; made it seem like that's all it was for. How long has he been an automotive reporter?

Do you think there other onboard sensors that work through wireless mechanisms?
Old 08-26-06, 02:21 AM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dfkd
About the tire pressure monitor, they do work through wireless signals so perhaps along with everything else (radio, keyless entry, GPS etc), that receiver also works for the pressure monitors.
Are you saying that he was correct .. that the satellite radio antenna IS ALSO the tire pressure monitor? Amazing.

It's my understanding that the way "most" tire monitors work is that they calibrate how many times the wheel turns. Ie: the higher tire pressure, the larger diameter, so the wheel turns less for each mile. Lower pressure, the wheel would turn more. (Something like that.)

Getting this info strictly from the sky - rather than each wheel - would, indeed, seem astonishing.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 08-26-06, 05:54 AM
roubaixpro
Driver School Candidate

Default BMW Remote Park Assist

Roubaixpro here again. It seems that the volks at BMW are also developing remote parking assist for their vehicles. Check out the 2 videos below. The first one has the traditional parallel park, but the second one shows the car remotely parking your car forward into your garage. I'm wondering if the LS can also do this? It would be a great feature if you have very little space in your garage. Anyway, I look forward to driving the new LS at the upcoming Taste of Lexus event in San Francisco on October 1. Hope to see you guys and gals out there for some WOT fun

Driving your car into a cramped parking space can be a harrowing experience, but BMW says it has developed a robotic parking system to solve the problem.

The luxury carmaker's parking-assist technology will park your car for you as you stand outside and watch, according to BMW during the demo of a working prototype at its Munich headquarters this week.

All you do is press down on a remote-control button and your Beamer parks itself.

The parking system is very straightforward to operate, said Raymond Freymann, managing director of BMW group research and technology.

"You just press a button," Freymann said. "It is something simple, but something that is really smart."

The company says the technology will be available within three years.

Setting up the parking system involves placing a reflective lens against the wall of at the head of the parking space. A miniature video camera on the car's front windshield measures the distance and angle of the car relative to the lens, while the sensor assumes there is a minimum distance of about 8 inches to the left and right sides of the car.

The car calculates the trajectory, activating the gas pedal and turning the steering wheel accordingly.

The system is largely an add-on to the other sensor technologies offered in recent BMW models, Freymann said.

For instance, some BMWs have distance-control sensors that help guide parking by emitting audible signals when the car approaches objects to the side or back of the vehicle. In the robotically controlled parking system, these same sensors apply the brakes when objects are detected around or along the car's trajectory.

"(Most) of the components of the 7 Series are already there," Freymann said.

Paul Eisenstein, publisher of the TheCarConnection.com, noted that advanced parking-assist technologies are available in Mercedes S-Class and Lexus models, but they require that the driver remain in the car.

Eisenstein wondered if BMW's automatic parking system would be user friendly. He noted that BMW's iDrive system -- its interface for various driving and cabin controls -- was notoriously complex when it was launched a few years ago.

"I wonder if the system will be truly clean and efficient or wind up being the parking equivalent of iDrive, being so complex and confusing, that the relatively simple act of parking would be a sheer joy compared to the level of programming you would need to make it work," Eisenstein said.

Eisenstein added that the iDrive system is now a lot easier to manage.

"I would hope and I am confident that (the new parking system) does work, but once again I am still a skeptic until I see this stuff working regularly and efficiently on the street," he said.

Source: Wired News

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fv23bO3_X...=BMW%20parking

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KfUBTOTp2...=BMW%20parking
Old 08-26-06, 08:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

yeah, everyone is working on it, but Lexus puts it into production, thats the big difference. Toyota came out with self parking system as an option for Prius in 2004.

Volvo showed their prototype late 2005, and all european magazines then said that Toyota copied Volvo...

I guess when BMW comes out with their system in 2010, it will be Lexus copying them :-).
Old 08-26-06, 08:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

you got to have an distinction about companies putting out PR's about stuff they might be working on and actual features in production car.

For instance, BMW has talked about hydrogen powered BMW cars for the past decade as if it exists in production. Well, few years later it does not, and hybrids are way past half million mark :-).
Old 08-26-06, 11:51 PM
acerfan
Rookie

I've seen a similar video and I just think that it is so cool. This means that we won't have to parallel park during our driving test. haha jk

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus LS460L Self-Parking Video