LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2002 LS 430 Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 01:23 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

it would be interesting to know why a dealer would keep a car on his lot for 7 months, they usually move a car after 30 days or so as they need the space for a car that will sell. I bet that he gave way too much for trade in and now needs to get his money back. maybe it is being driven by a salesman, or girlfriend? has the mileage gone up from when the earlier guy was looking at it? would be better if it has been driven rather than just sitting I think. I do not think you will like going from a 2013 model to a 2002. like I said before, times they are a changing and this car will not have the same level of stuff that the newer Toyota has.
Old 03-25-17, 02:00 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry if I stepped on any toes. My NAV display failed and it was headache to repair. I posted and found other LS'ers had problems. Good it's not a widespread problem. Can understand the appeal of a large display.

Stereo is one of those totally personal choices. JMHO but ML sounds better. The local stereo shop owner says it's very good for a factory system. However, Kenwood has a head unit that has 1) high resolution, wide angle back up cam 2) iPhone connect including nav and programs, 3) high quality sound that connects to a wide variety of high performance speakers and 4) digital connect ability to evaluate/tune speakers. Cost to pull NAV/rewire ML and install new head unit/speakers? At least 2-3k. On a Premium? 1k and change.

Whatever your model preferences, it's a great car. Just drove mine enjoying the ML. Had the LS problem that can happen with any model. Speedo displaying 90 and of course, I didn't realize it.
Old 03-25-17, 02:09 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
it would be interesting to know why a dealer would keep a car on his lot for 7 months, they usually move a car after 30 days or so as they need the space for a car that will sell. I bet that he gave way too much for trade in and now needs to get his money back. maybe it is being driven by a salesman, or girlfriend? has the mileage gone up from when the earlier guy was looking at it? would be better if it has been driven rather than just sitting I think. I do not think you will like going from a 2013 model to a 2002. like I said before, times they are a changing and this car will not have the same level of stuff that the newer Toyota has.
Cars that sit for a long time are suspect. Agree maybe problems adjusting from 2013>2002. The upside is that an older LS has a hard to beat level of finish and driving comfort (for very little money). Maybe less stuff but still a nice ride!
Old 03-25-17, 02:55 PM
jayn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again for all of the input.

Nice to see a forum that is still active. Most have gone to Facebook Groups.

One thing I have going for me is that I work for a mobile electronics company, with engineers and service technicians that can coerced into helping for a 12 pack of beer. (We make Audio Video and surveillance systems for the bus market.) One of them completely rebuilt and updated the factory radio from his daughters 98 4-runner with an aux input and Bluetooth...

I am not sure what I would miss from my 2013 Avalon going to an early 2000 LS. I NEVER use the Navigation, I always use my phone. I had an USA Spec Bluetooth module on my '05 Avalon and it worked great. (I do however miss the radar Cruise control and the Cooled seats from that car. Never should have sold it.)

Now there is a couple other cars entering the mix. A black 2006 ML Asking $11k and a silver 2001 UL asking $8K local that both have 120,000 on them.

Nice that I have a crop to choose from. I will keep posting my progress.
Old 03-25-17, 05:10 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by jayn
Thanks again for all of the input.

Nice to see a forum that is still active. Most have gone to Facebook Groups.

One thing I have going for me is that I work for a mobile electronics company, with engineers and service technicians that can coerced into helping for a 12 pack of beer. (We make Audio Video and surveillance systems for the bus market.) One of them completely rebuilt and updated the factory radio from his daughters 98 4-runner with an aux input and Bluetooth...

I am not sure what I would miss from my 2013 Avalon going to an early 2000 LS. I NEVER use the Navigation, I always use my phone. I had an USA Spec Bluetooth module on my '05 Avalon and it worked great. (I do however miss the radar Cruise control and the Cooled seats from that car. Never should have sold it.)

Now there is a couple other cars entering the mix. A black 2006 ML Asking $11k and a silver 2001 UL asking $8K local that both have 120,000 on them.

Nice that I have a crop to choose from. I will keep posting my progress.
Always nice to have more choices. Despite my past posts, the 06 ML sounds interesting (especially if you have access to electronics repair). Newer car, 6 speed gets better gas mileage, Smart Key, parking sensors, etc.
Old 03-26-17, 03:28 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

An '06 LS430 is the holy grail.... If you find one that you like and suits your budget grab it up (except for the ones with air suspensions, IMO). I like the '01 we have but am keeping an eye open for an '06 and if one came along that checked all the boxes I would grab it up (and deal with the wife's objections later...)
Old 03-26-17, 05:41 PM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default No Affiliation

I have no affiliation to this vehicle; however, I spent a considerable amount of time with the following vehicle:

http://www.lexusoftampabay.com/Vehic...-FL/2927939633

It's definitely worth taking a peek at
Old 03-26-17, 06:05 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinkie2000
I have no affiliation to this vehicle; however, I spent a considerable amount of time with the following vehicle:

http://www.lexusoftampabay.com/Vehic...-FL/2927939633

It's definitely worth taking a peek at
Clean car, but I'll never get used to those roller skate sized wheels... I noticed it doesn't have seat heaters in the front, and the rear arm rest apparently doesn't have a storage compartment (or heater switches), only cup holders.
Old 03-27-17, 08:03 AM
jayn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Duck05
An '06 LS430 is the holy grail.... If you find one that you like and suits your budget grab it up.
In your opinion, what makes the '06 the holy grail?
Old 03-27-17, 08:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

In your opinion, what makes the '06 the holy grail?
In my research, at first I wanted to avoid '06's because they have 8 ft lbs. less, and is it 12 HP less as well? Then I discovered the way they are rated changed, and they are identical to the older ones. The 06's avoid the tranny reflash and fuel filler TSBs right off the bat, and are newer. I don't see that there is any price savings on '05 vs. '06. If it were me, I would want a southern '06 with a late production month, say 5/06. The point is when you are buying, you're in the driver's seat, so why not use your effort to get a newer '06 (they're relatively old cars so newer is better imho)....
Old 03-27-17, 02:17 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
In my research, at first I wanted to avoid '06's because they have 8 ft lbs. less, and is it 12 HP less as well? Then I discovered the way they are rated changed, and they are identical to the older ones. The 06's avoid the tranny reflash and fuel filler TSBs right off the bat, and are newer. I don't see that there is any price savings on '05 vs. '06. If it were me, I would want a southern '06 with a late production month, say 5/06. The point is when you are buying, you're in the driver's seat, so why not use your effort to get a newer '06 (they're relatively old cars so newer is better imho)....
Unfortunately, you are only in the driver's seat if you are willing to pay premium dollars for a low mileage gem. Otherwise....most of the absolute exceptional 05-06 LS430s may go to someone on a list of dealership employees who know what these cars represent. If the car is anything lesser, it might go to the retail lot for a super high price if mileage is right, and of course the remainder go everywhere, where the majority of us poor souls find them and have to repair and bring them back to life. Bottom line is... unless you know the owner first hand that is trading their one owner cared for car, or have pull at the dealership....chances of finding a truly cared for LS430 with lower miles are rare....not impossible, but rare.
Old 03-29-17, 02:53 PM
jayn
Driver School Candidate

I am taking home a 2005 LS430 tonight. Mercury Metallic, Gray interior, 110,000 miles, ML Package, good maintenance history, and a few cosmetic issues.

Unfortunately the wheels are painted black... so that will need to be remedied somehow.

We shall see how the final negotiations go tomorrow!
Old 03-29-17, 05:13 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

I am taking home a 2005 LS430 tonight. Mercury Metallic, Gray interior, 110,000 miles, ML Package, good maintenance history, and a few cosmetic issues.

Unfortunately the wheels are painted black... so that will need to be remedied somehow.

Do a thorough inspection with the attached CPO form, and arm yourself with talking-points for the final negotiations tomorrow.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS430 Inspection.pdf (426.4 KB, 83 views)
Old 03-30-17, 06:04 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Nice color, reasonable mileage and a maintenance history are all good. Suggest check the ML stereo carefully. Listen for a blown subwoofer. Load/unload a couple of CD's to make sure it doesn't jam. Set the balance to play just one speaker(s) in each door so you can find any blown speakers.

It's great that you can test drive it. Good luck w/ the negotiations.
Old 03-30-17, 06:10 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Well, for your sake, I hope the wheels were Plasti-dipped, which fortunately, is easy to remove. It seems to be the thing these days with the "Tuning" crowd. Do a search on YT for cleaning Plati-dip off wheels.

Quick Reply: 2002 LS 430 Thoughts