LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New 2006 second owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-17, 05:37 AM
HOLGER21
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New 2006 second owner

Im excited to be back in the game. It's been a tough few years. Financially struggled to building my credit back up and all that fun stuff. Yesterday I purchased a cherry pearl tan interior 06 ls430 with 101k miles on it. I'm not exactly sure on the package but it has heated rear seats it has a rear shade navigation Bluetooth. Timing belt done 100 miles ago. It's a one owner, interior is perfect exterior got completely detailed (buffed) paid for by dealer. I couldn't be any happier. I own a 98 gs400 211k miles on it and still runs smooth body is getting worn down thou so it was time for a newer vehicle. Only thing the dealer did tell me was the original fob won't unlock trunk nor do the door exterior buttons unlock the door? Any insight. It has a remote start an that opens the trunk just fine.
Old 03-18-17, 06:02 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by HOLGER21
Im excited to be back in the game. It's been a tough few years. Financially struggled to building my credit back up and all that fun stuff. Yesterday I purchased a cherry pearl tan interior 06 ls430 with 101k miles on it. I'm not exactly sure on the package but it has heated rear seats it has a rear shade navigation Bluetooth. Timing belt done 100 miles ago. It's a one owner, interior is perfect exterior got completely detailed (buffed) paid for by dealer. I couldn't be any happier. I own a 98 gs400 211k miles on it and still runs smooth body is getting worn down thou so it was time for a newer vehicle. Only thing the dealer did tell me was the original fob won't unlock trunk nor do the door exterior buttons unlock the door? Any insight. It has a remote start an that opens the trunk just fine.
Congrats, Holger! I commend you for putting in the work to reach a better financial footing. Sorry I can't offer much help in terms of the key fob. Although the buttons (on the exterior door handle) don't work, do the fob buttons still unlock the car, just not the trunk? Or do you have to resort to using the physical key portion of the fob? Could just be the trunk latch that needs to be fixed or low battery in the fob. Are you standing close to the trunk with the fob in pocket or are you trying to open the trunk from farther away?

Edit: Just realized you said the remote start opens the trunk fine, so the latch is probably fine.
Old 03-18-17, 06:16 AM
HOLGER21
Pole Position

I will have the fob in my pocket and try to unlock the car with the door buttons and nothing nor will the factory fob or the trunk button on the trunk itself open the trunk. Only way to open the trunk is with the starter and with the trunk opener inside.

Thanks it has been a thought 3 years to getting into a better financial status. I had a gs400 and their couldn't have been a better car to get me through all of this haha. Lexus make their cars just way to dependable lol.
Old 03-18-17, 06:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Congrats! Sounds like a sweet car....post pics when you can.

I don't know all the ins and outs, but when I got my car in Oct., the driver door actuator was not working, and I only noticed after leaving with the car on a Sat. This mean that the driver door did not respond to locking/unlocking, but also the buttons and touching any of the handles did not work (not sure why/how the system integrates). Once the actuator was replaced, and thank goodness the dealer was good enough to do it on their dime, everything worked properly....the handle functions are important to me.....

one test: when using power locks with the switch inside, do all 4 doors lock, and unlock....
Old 03-18-17, 06:28 AM
HOLGER21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Congrats! Sounds like a sweet car....post pics when you can.

I don't know all the ins and outs, but when I got my car in Oct., the driver door actuator was not working, and I only noticed after leaving with the car on a Sat. This mean that the driver door did not respond to locking/unlocking, but also the buttons and touching any of the handles did not work (not sure why/how the system integrates). Once the actuator was replaced, and thank goodness the dealer was good enough to do it on their dime, everything worked properly....the handle functions are important to me.....

one test: when using power locks with the switch inside, do all 4 doors lock, and unlock....

yes they all lock an unlock just fine as does the trunk it pops open when I open it with the inside

also pictures will be on later today. Wife took the car to work she wanted to drive it haha.
Old 03-18-17, 06:32 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome to the LS forum, Holger. You'll have to share a few pictures when you can...

Remote start could be the culprit. Depending on when/where it was installed, it may be interfering with door lock actuators.
Old 03-18-17, 06:44 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

just guessing, but I believe you have a ML, modern luxury level LS430. the previous owner has replaced the smart key with a remote start add on. your remaining fob might be the valet key. just my hunch though and I am often wrong
Old 03-18-17, 06:51 AM
HOLGER21
Pole Position

Thanks guys. And well I got the starter put on yesterday. The fob was already having those issues prior to me making that change.
Old 03-18-17, 07:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

yes they all lock an unlock just fine as does the trunk it pops open when I open it with the inside

also pictures will be on later today. Wife took the car to work she wanted to drive it haha.
That's funny, when I showed my wife the used car I wanted to get, there was a LS430 facing us, and a 65 y.o. woman driving it. Another time, we were behind one on 476. Both times, she said wow that's an old person's car, but she liked the idea that I would expend maybe 14k and change, as opposed to borrowing over 40k for a new car. Of course once we got it, she does love the smoothness of the V8. And when we switch and switch back, she said her soccer mom mobile with the AWD lacks the power of the LS (it does, only 270 ft. lbs. and it could benefit from 400)....

So it's not your actuators--don't know what in the car tells the door handles to function or not function. As mentioned, mine didn't function when the driver actuator was not working. There must be other conditions as well.....maybe there is a decision tree in the manual that someone could post up....

and also, don't the buttons lock the car? If you put your hand on the inside of the handle, they unlock (inductive wiring I take it)....I think on some cars like the 2017 Pathfinder, the buttons did both, i.e. the opposite of whatever the lock/unlock condition was when pressed...
Old 03-18-17, 07:28 AM
HOLGER21
Pole Position

Mine doesn't lock or unlock when I put my hand in the handle or press the button on the handles. Kind of sad. Am to be honest got the car late last night and went to buy groceries out of all the things and she said omg this car is so smooth and the seats are so comfortable. I said wait till I tell you your seats are heated and ventilated lol. Not bad for $11k
Old 03-18-17, 07:28 AM
HOLGER21
Pole Position

TO top it out I'm 26 she is 22 lol
Old 03-18-17, 07:35 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

You both are old souls. I mean that as a compliment. Not many young couples can appreciate or recognize what a used luxury flagship can offer over a new mainstream vehicle. Congrats to you both!
Old 03-18-17, 08:42 AM
HOLGER21
Pole Position

To Be honest after the reliability my 98 gs400 with 211k miles has given me I can't consider another car. Only other car I was considering was a m45 infinity because of the interior but other then that I love Lexus. My wife tried to convince me to get a 15 Malibu with 23k miles on it. Nice exterior an interior but no where near the quality and reliability of Lexus. Plus she is pregnant lol
Old 03-18-17, 10:50 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
just guessing, but I believe you have a ML, modern luxury level LS430. the previous owner has replaced the smart key with a remote start add on. your remaining fob might be the valet key. just my hunch though and I am often wrong
He mentioned heated rear seats. Were these an ML option?
Old 03-18-17, 10:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Funny but I have friends from work in this age group. I don't envy you guys, you have it a lot tougher than we do. In my time, the only folks who would live at home with parents were from NYC metro. I think that even LA was cheap then, not SF. Today, it's pretty difficult imho for a younger person to own a home. Anyway, we had a happy hour Thu. night and a 24 y.o. coworker landed a great job in Europe, so we sent him off. This guy was officially an intern assigned to me, but he ended up working mostly for someone else. I told him, when you're the European managing director someday, make sure you remember me, I'll have a teenage son by then and for sure will need a good job. He said for sure....yesterday he sent a company-wide email thanking everyone, and who do you think is on the top? Oh yeah babe, me....BOOYAH!!

Quick Reply: New 2006 second owner