LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air Strut Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 03:42 PM
04Ultra
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Strut Longevity

I tried the search function but couldn’t find much info other than replacement types, cost, and swapping in coils. I’m trying to find out how long a set of air struts last. I recently purchased a 2004 LS ultra with 359,000kms. The car has always been in ontario so it’s been through many a winter. The original and second owners kept meticulous maintenance/repair records and I don’t see anything about ever replacing one or all of them. Everything functions perfectly.

My question is, could all 4 corners have lasted 17 years and 360kms???
Old 05-03-21, 05:50 PM
demark1
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Ultra
I tried the search function but couldn’t find much info other than replacement types, cost, and swapping in coils. I’m trying to find out how long a set of air struts last. I recently purchased a 2004 LS ultra with 359,000kms. The car has always been in ontario so it’s been through many a winter. The original and second owners kept meticulous maintenance/repair records and I don’t see anything about ever replacing one or all of them. Everything functions perfectly.

My question is, could all 4 corners have lasted 17 years and 360kms???
Certainly. My 2005 is original except for 1 where strut mount went bad under extended CPO warranty probably around 2013. That doesn't mean they ride like new, but they could be relatively leak free. I dread having to deal with mine when they go bad for real. (conversion or replacement). My compressor groans a bit so that night go first.
Old 05-05-21, 11:13 AM
vernz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My LS430 - 2001 still has original body struts, mileage 308,000. I have replaced the trunk and hood struts. Drives like new. Rides like new.
Old 05-07-21, 08:48 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by demark1
Certainly. My 2005 is original except for 1 where strut mount went bad under extended CPO warranty probably around 2013. That doesn't mean they ride like new, but they could be relatively leak free. I dread having to deal with mine when they go bad for real. (conversion or replacement). My compressor groans a bit so that night go first.
the compressor groaning might be failed mount bushings. They replaced mine when it was groaning and it has been silent ever since.
The following users liked this post:
demark1 (05-08-21)
Old 05-08-21, 06:16 AM
demark1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by aypues
the compressor groaning might be failed mount bushings. They replaced mine when it was groaning and it has been silent ever since.
Thanks, I have read about that on this forum. Good luck getting my dealer to do it. quote: "We don't do repair things generally, we replace...". I asked specifically about this in my last service (heated seat repair, at least THAT they fixed, a loose wire...). How would I even approach a dealer about this? Call up a bunch of service departments and ask if they do compressor bushing replacements? Most service writers will probably just stare into space, even if I can't see them on the phone!! It's like trying to have a dealer change my trans fluid according to the manual (2005 sealed, that whole procedure)... "fluid exchange machine, that's it", and so that is what I did. They want the brain-dead approach.
The following users liked this post:
CA2WALS430 (05-11-21)
Old 05-08-21, 06:20 AM
demark1
Pit Crew

aypues, do you know if the failing mounts risk damaging the actual compressor? Maybe I should push harder as I know the compressor is big $$$ (even Arnott replacement). But again, do hard to find a dealer who will act... I am on Long Island in NY
Old 05-08-21, 07:03 AM
04Ultra
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I have read about that on this forum. Good luck getting my dealer to do it. quote: "We don't do repair things generally, we replace...". I asked specifically about this in my last service (heated seat repair, at least THAT they fixed, a loose wire...). How would I even approach a dealer about this? Call up a bunch of service departments and ask if they do compressor bushing replacements? Most service writers will probably just stare into space, even if I can't see them on the phone!! It's like trying to have a dealer change my trans fluid according to the manual (2005 sealed, that whole procedure)... "fluid exchange machine, that's it", and so that is what I did. They want the brain-dead approach.
Do you know what wire or how they repaired the heated seat?
Old 05-08-21, 04:23 PM
demark1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 04Ultra
Do you know what wire or how they repaired the heated seat?
No... I rarely get an honest answer. They charged 1 hour of labor as diagnostic fee, but the note said felt heated air or noise coming through side of seat, so I got impression maybe some physical connector was loose like some air tube that took them no diagnostic time and 2 minutes, so the wire was a story to justify the cost (I know climate control seats have air-dryer like heaters built in so that may not make sense.)

At first he claimed they took the seat out, etc. and that it took time. The funny thing is, I found the seatbelt twisted in a half loop -- it was reattached with a half-flip to the seat, and asked the service writer. His first reaction was, "that's impossible, we didn't touch the seat" in contradiction to his earlier claim. But I showed it to him and then he realized perhaps they had removed the belt for moment from the seat-side connection... But I doubt they even removed the seat. It's like how my brakes always need new pads at 30k or fewer miles since it's "right about to eat through the sensor and that will add $200, and that's about right after 30k miles". If I seem cynical, I have grown that way after 3 check engine light issues in a row, now thankfully 2 years ago. I need to find a local independent I trust, but for car-specific things like check-engine-lights and seat heater issues, I still tend to go to dealer. Not cheap, but fortunately rare. An independent replaced my totally leaking water pump at around 140k after I had had it done with timing belt at 90k at an independent that also now has a bad reputation. I am 1/2 convinced the water pump died at 140k since neither it nor timing belt was really changed at 90k -- I was just cheated. Glad the water pump died before the belt broke! At least the dealer is not THAT dishonest..

The 2nd independent who fixed my water pump also reinstalled a new belt since it was open for the water pimp anyway, but charged me an extra 2 hours of labor claiming the old water pump had seized on the engine and needed to be welded/blowtorched/pried (not sure which) off. (Is that even possible?) I could have complained, and they did fix the car, but it's gotta make you wonder. Next time I will insist that any surprise expenses ne discussed beforehand. And SHOW me... but would I know? Mechanical ignorance puts me at the mercy of too many dishonest people. I am willing to pay, but I wish I found someone with both competence and integrity.

Sorry for the rant. Thank goodness the car is very reliable. I know someone with a 2 year old Subaru that keeps sporadically, seemingly randomly dying on the highway. My 16 year old LS430 has NEVER done that except for bad battery or a flat tire. Just want a mechanic with integrity as good as the car.
Old 05-10-21, 09:05 AM
aypues
Instructor

aypues, do you know if the failing mounts risk damaging the actual compressor? Maybe I should push harder as I know the compressor is big $$$ (even Arnott replacement). But again, do hard to find a dealer who will act... I am on Long Island in NY
My Lexus dealer is the one who suggested this remedy, cost about $300. He did say any other service advisor would try to sell me a new compressor, but I had a long standing relationship with him. They did a transmission fluid drain and fill too without issues. If your dealer won't do it then any independent shop should be able to do it for you.
Old 05-11-21, 08:06 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Sorry, can't figure out how to delete a post. Hence here I am twice.

Last edited by CA2WALS430; 05-11-21 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-11-21, 08:08 PM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

[QUOTE=[i]demark1;11048217]Thanks, I have read about that on this forum. Good luck getting my dealer to do it. quote: "We don't do repair things generally, we replace...".[/i]

I heard this also at a couple of dealers. "We don't repair, just replace." I guess there is some liability and as cars age, they don't want to get overly involved, but it's a little frustrating.
Old 05-12-21, 02:14 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 194 Posts

It sounds like the Lexus dealers don't want to be bothered with "Old" vehicles.
In fact the whole idea of repairing stuff rather than replacing it is currently at it's worst. We live in a throw-away society.
"Why don't you massively indebt yourself and buy this new whizz bang LS500h instead of keeping your 17 year old car running?" <sigh>
It does seem to be changing as there is a big "right to repair" movement going on, but manufacturers are going to resist that as it will mean lower profits if they can't sell you a new car every 10 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by BigBoomer:
CA2WALS430 (05-12-21), jimisbell (05-12-21)
Old 05-12-21, 08:56 AM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
It sounds like the Lexus dealers don't want to be bothered with "Old" vehicles.
In fact the whole idea of repairing stuff rather than replacing it is currently at it's worst. We live in a throw-away society.
"Why don't you massively indebt yourself and buy this new whizz bang LS500h instead of keeping your 17 year old car running?" <sigh>
It does seem to be changing as there is a big "right to repair" movement going on, but manufacturers are going to resist that as it will mean lower profits if they can't sell you a new car every 10 years.
Lately sir, I just follow you around this site, but comments like this remind me why. You are wise. I can't get started on the 'throw-away society' I'll go too far off topic. I hope you're right about the "right to repair" movement. Auto mechanics have generally done well during COVID as they were declared essential, and people worked from home and caught up with their cars.

If we are willing to pay the inflated dealer labor rate, shouldn't they be all too happy to take our money? I know they don't like any work they can't guarantee, so that is big part of it. That is what the Master Tech told me recently with my Nav debacle was the solder joints may well be the problem, but "We have nothing official from Lexus on that and therefore could not have any involvement with the repair. We will only do work we can guarantee".
Sadly though, I think you are right on the 10-year thing. After 10 I think they kind of want you to go away.
Old 05-12-21, 11:54 AM
aypues
Instructor

Speaking of repairing...Does anyone know of a company that sells remanufactured air struts? I found some rear air struts on ebay that had been remanufactured but are out of China and not sure of the quality, about $550 each. There used to be a company in Florida that did this but they aren't offering LS430 struts anymore.
Old 05-12-21, 12:54 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 102 Posts

Almost ALL manufactured stuff is "out of china these days". I do most of my shopping on AliExpress. All the items there are from China or India. I have only sent one item out of thousands back and it was refunded immediately. The only disadvantage to AliExpress is that it can take 30 days or more to get the item. Before COVID it was usually less then 20 days.

Quick Reply: Air Strut Longevity