LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

At 248k, I went to a '10 460L

Old 03-03-17, 08:35 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts
Default At 248k, I went to a '10 460L

Sorry fellas, I was hoping to make it to 250k and post my impeccable service history in my '04 here once I hit 250k. I didn't quite make it that far as I traded in my LS430 at 248k miles when I fell in love with a 2010 Smokey Granite LS460L with black leather interior in south FL. More details with pics in the 4th Gen forum, but I had been kicking tires for about 2 years and had all kinds of whacky formulas in my head on how to associate value to 460's based on year and mileage (ex: I calculated in my local market what every 10k of miles was worth for the same year by constantly monitoring listing prices for private parties and dealers). Yes, I was overly analytical about it but was trying to figure out how to get a good deal. Long story short, I found a late-production 2010 (almost an '11) with documented Lexus service every 5k, one owner, clean CarFax at an absolute steal at an Audi dealership and fell in love with the car so I bit the bullet.

As someone who has driven no fewer than 15 LS460's in the last couple of years, I'm not quite sure what is so different about the one I found... maybe it's the LWB, but for the doubters (and I was one) of how quiet and smooth an LS460 can be, I have to say I feel I have gotten a big upgrade. The feeling of the doors closing in the 460 helps me understand how substantial the vehicle is. Driving it is a real pleasure, with only positive impressions compared to my 430 thus far on the highway and around town. The leather seats in particular are far superior to anything I have ever felt in the LS line (not sure if the "L" uses different material).

I spent 9 long years burning up the highway in my 430 and loved every minute of it. The car was great to me- and I have a feeling I'll be equally as loyal to the 460L. Those in the market shouldn't be skeptical.
Old 03-03-17, 08:43 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm guessing that after spending the amount of time in researching what you wanted, it was pretty easy to pull the trigger when that one showed up. Congrats and enjoy your new ride!

Now I'm going to forget ever reading this post in order to try not to get that seed planted in my head...
Old 03-03-17, 11:16 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

My long term plans are to shoot for 250-275K on my 2001, and with my 35,000 miles a year I'm driving, I'll probably see that in 4 years time. I'd consider an L model as a replacement because I do feel they drive a little differently than the standard 460.
Old 03-04-17, 05:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Congrats on the new car, it sounds like you have been researching and have found the right one! Next time around that will be my case....I'm doing 7k in 5 mos., and am 200 miles shy of 88. Nuts but if it's a 200k car, what does it matter.....at the same time I have a business trip 4 hours away, and I'll rent a car, why drive mine......

long wheelbase makes sense, why not, more comfortable for rear passengers. I think the LS430 is a bit too short for what it wants to do, but it's fine for when it's only one driver etc. And ok for the back, but a little bigger is better...

Dag speaking of business trips, I finally broke down and did my expense report for Toronto. We got new software that does character recognition to match amounts with dates. Needless to say it red flagged my report and none of the receipts matched up. Um, maybe cuz it was CAD to USD? Do these programmers or app developers even think about what they're doing? That's why you have billionaire folks from silicon valley, and also those who are not raking it in....
Old 03-05-17, 05:59 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 149 Likes on 110 Posts

Congrats. Hope your experience is better than the experience I had with a 2010 460L. It was a happy day leaving the dealership in my new used 430 and seeing that pos 460L in my rear view mirror. Haven't regretted going back to a 430 for even a second.
Old 03-05-17, 06:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
Congrats. Hope your experience is better than the experience I had with a 2010 460L. It was a happy day leaving the dealership in my new used 430 and seeing that pos 460L in my rear view mirror. Haven't regretted going back to a 430 for even a second.
ruh roh I know it's likely for another forum, but would be curious to know why it was a POS....I love the way the 430 drives, and of course like everyone else, wish it had some of the modern gizmos.....I rode in a kid's Toyota Tacoma (in the office), he thought nothing of streaming a tune a coworker came up with to his stereo. I made a joke can't wait to get me my BMG order this weekend, I got me 12 discs on the way and that's one of them. An older coworker (like 29-30) goes, John, these kids don't know what you mean by BMG, they never even heard of it...and I thought dang!!
Old 03-05-17, 11:06 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Sorry fellas, I was hoping to make it to 250k and post my impeccable service history in my '04 here once I hit 250k. I didn't quite make it that far as I traded in my LS430 at 248k miles when I fell in love with a 2010 Smokey Granite LS460L with black leather interior in south FL. More details with pics in the 4th Gen forum, but I had been kicking tires for about 2 years and had all kinds of whacky formulas in my head on how to associate value to 460's based on year and mileage (ex: I calculated in my local market what every 10k of miles was worth for the same year by constantly monitoring listing prices for private parties and dealers). Yes, I was overly analytical about it but was trying to figure out how to get a good deal. Long story short, I found a late-production 2010 (almost an '11) with documented Lexus service every 5k, one owner, clean CarFax at an absolute steal at an Audi dealership and fell in love with the car so I bit the bullet.

As someone who has driven no fewer than 15 LS460's in the last couple of years, I'm not quite sure what is so different about the one I found... maybe it's the LWB, but for the doubters (and I was one) of how quiet and smooth an LS460 can be, I have to say I feel I have gotten a big upgrade. The feeling of the doors closing in the 460 helps me understand how substantial the vehicle is. Driving it is a real pleasure, with only positive impressions compared to my 430 thus far on the highway and around town. The leather seats in particular are far superior to anything I have ever felt in the LS line (not sure if the "L" uses different material).

I spent 9 long years burning up the highway in my 430 and loved every minute of it. The car was great to me- and I have a feeling I'll be equally as loyal to the 460L. Those in the market shouldn't be skeptical.
Please post back in 3-6 months and give us your longer term impressions of moving to the 2010 LS460 from a LS430. Love to get that feedback on this forum particularly as our cars are getting pretty long in the tooth (although I am almost certain I am hanging on to my LS430 for at least 6-7 more years having just paid for WP/TB and new tires, I want to recoup and enjoy that investment). Best of luck with your new LS460.
Old 03-05-17, 05:30 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
ruh roh I know it's likely for another forum, but would be curious to know why it was a POS....I love the way the 430 drives, and of course like everyone else, wish it had some of the modern gizmos.....I rode in a kid's Toyota Tacoma (in the office), he thought nothing of streaming a tune a coworker came up with to his stereo. I made a joke can't wait to get me my BMG order this weekend, I got me 12 discs on the way and that's one of them. An older coworker (like 29-30) goes, John, these kids don't know what you mean by BMG, they never even heard of it...and I thought dang!!
Well, it ticked like an 80s Benz Diesel. Very audible from inside the car. Brake actuator issue that required replacement. Peeling silver plastic trim under the nav. Misaligned glove compartment door that would open randomly. But the biggest issue was the ticking that required the entire engine to be pulled from the car and someone to fly in to fix. After getting it back from that a month later, there was a noticeable shaking in the drive train around 35 mph. At that point, after 8 months of ownership, I was done and found another lower mileage 430 to trade back into. Although all under CPO warranty, it was a pain to deal with. Biggest automotive mistake of my life.
Old 03-05-17, 06:04 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley

Sounds like you've shopped carefully! Look forward to hearing your feedback once you've driven it for a couple of months. I can't seeing buying an 07 or 08 because of the problems. With the 2010, Lexus has had enough time to solve the problems. JMO but prefer the "pre trapezoid" front end.
Old 03-06-17, 01:43 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Sounds like you've shopped carefully! Look forward to hearing your feedback once you've driven it for a couple of months. I can't seeing buying an 07 or 08 because of the problems. With the 2010, Lexus has had enough time to solve the problems. JMO but prefer the "pre trapezoid" front end.
Yep, I'll report back in about 2-3 months with some updates. I drive quite a bit for work, so should be able to have a decent amount of mileage under my belt in that time frame to fill you guys in. I agree on '07 and '08, although there are plenty of members here not having issues. My issues with '07-'09 were no streaming bluetooth, I didn't like the rear tail lights as much, and I wanted to avoid the control arm and brake actuator issue if at all possible.

I bought an '04 because it was the first model year that looked like an '06, so I did the same on my '10. I was shooting for an '11 or '12, but when looking at '10's I was hoping I would end up in a late production '10 (I got July - which is 2 months away from being an '11) in order to avoid any issues of an early '10 model.
Old 03-06-17, 06:48 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Do you hear ticking from the direct injection from inside your car?
Old 03-06-17, 06:59 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Do you hear ticking from the direct injection from inside your car?
I do in my 2011 but it doesn't bother me. I only hear it when I don't have any radio on and I am sitting in the car in a parking lot. I know that the 460's are not as quiet as the 430's but they are really different cars. I made the switch back in june-july and I've been really happy. Sure I miss my 430 sometimes but the 460L was a great upgrade.
Old 03-06-17, 09:45 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I test drove a 2010. Yes did hear the ticking at idle but the completely silent 430 is an impossible act to follow. Nice car but very different feel from a 430.
Old 03-07-17, 05:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

When I went from my Maxima to a 335i, I was often surprised initially how rough the motor was on the 335i in comparison. There was one time my wife and I drove both cars to drop off the 335i (can't remember the scenario as this implies no loaner car), and when I jumped in the Maxima, I attempted to start it, and it was already running. Now with these two cars, rev the motor above 3000 or to the redline, and it's night and day, the Maxima is noisy and rough, and the other is smooth as silk. I guess it's all about what you want....noisier fuel injection is not a deal breaker for me. But on an older car, I actually would not want it, it implies more maintenance as the fuel does not contact the intake valves. Both my wife's and my 335i are direct injected, so it is what it is....

Haven't driven a 460 so I can't say....

Unless a V8 is available on the LS500, I bet we all soften to it. It's like opposing bad healthcare. Maybe around 2012 we protested the changes in the way it worked. Today, what can we do....
Old 03-07-17, 08:16 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS430FL
I do in my 2011 but it doesn't bother me. I only hear it when I don't have any radio on and I am sitting in the car in a parking lot. I know that the 460's are not as quiet as the 430's but they are really different cars. I made the switch back in june-july and I've been really happy. Sure I miss my 430 sometimes but the 460L was a great upgrade.
Agree 100%. Just heard the ticking sound for the first time this morning- radio was off and I had just finished a phone call. I had never heard it before because I always have music playing. Def not as quiet at idle as a 430 or 400, but I find it to be substantially quieter while driving (road noise is more isolated) at any speed. I think the windows isolate sound better and the car is probably better "sound-proofed" than the 430 and 400 (I've owned both). As an LS-loyalist, my thought is I better get used to the sound- I don't really have any intentions of leaving the family for a while so could easily see myself in a '13+ bodystyle in the next 3-5 years and I know the sound is there as well. The only car that is more quiet at idle than the 400 and 430 is a hybrid or Tesla- and I could def be tempted into a Tesla but not willing to fork over that kind of dough based on how much I drive. So, I'll live with the ticking sound at idle for the other benefits I feel I received in the move to the 460L.

One odd thing I miss about my 430 is I had an 04 that I never upgraded the ECU on - so my car wouldn't downshift when I was going down hills. I kinda liked the "coasting" effect of that compared to a 460 which technically is doing things the "right way" (as that shifting issue was fixed on '05's and beyond).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: At 248k, I went to a '10 460L