LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Please help! Already bought new transmission 2001

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-17, 04:45 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Even if you install a dry converter the pump will eventually fill it with fluid. It's certainly not the preferred method as the converter can get hot as you are running it unlubricated until the fluid fills it. You should always add a quart or 2 of trans fluid to a converter before installation. It's not as critical when installing a used converter as there is usually a decent amount of residual fluid inside as they are hard to drain completely.
Old 03-22-17, 01:38 PM
rubeld
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem solved

Originally Posted by 911LE
Even if you install a dry converter the pump will eventually fill it with fluid. It's certainly not the preferred method as the converter can get hot as you are running it unlubricated until the fluid fills it. You should always add a quart or 2 of trans fluid to a converter before installation. It's not as critical when installing a used converter as there is usually a decent amount of residual fluid inside as they are hard to drain completely.
so when you posted this i was completely lost. I removed the trans and converter again and couldn't see anything wrong. What did I do? Called the nearest transmission shop and asked for advice, told him that when I bolted the converter to the flex plate it sat flush, then put the trans on and everything fit perfect. Which is when I found out that I'm an idiot for not looking up how to install a torque converter. He told me to bring it in and he will check it out for free, i brought both to him and he looked right into the hole where the torque converter sits on the trans and told me the oil pump broke even showed me where the oil pump sits and I was kinda lost until I came home and pulled oil pump from old transmission (unbolt bellhousing 2x 17mm bolts at bottom 4x 14mm bolts then unbolt 7x 12mm bolts for that first plate. Pull whole plate off and swap) when I looked at good pump it was evident that the old pump was completely broken. I put it back on filled her up now she is better than ever. Literally. I can't thank you guys enough for al the info and support. Hopefully one day I can help one of you guys with something. All together I paid 167$ with 2 year warranty at pick n pull on a 50% off day. And 76 dollars on transmission fluid.

btw the correct way to install is put converter into transmission first, make sure it's seated down all the way ( I though for a second I had it in all the way but I stood the trans up vertically and spun and played with it and it dropped two more splines) Then install both onto engine

Last edited by rubeld; 03-22-17 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-22-17, 07:07 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm sure you are relieved now. Congrats on finally figuring it out and posting back with the results.

I guess I'm a little confused, it sounds like you're saying that the oil pump in the replacement transmission was bad and you fixed it using the old oil pump from the original transmission, correct?

I'd say you are pretty fortunate to be able to find an LS430 in a U-pick junkyard. We only have one in my area and I just can't imagine them ever getting an LS430 in their lot...
Old 03-22-17, 07:31 PM
rubeld
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gronemus
I'm sure you are relieved now. Congrats on finally figuring it out and posting back with the results.

I guess I'm a little confused, it sounds like you're saying that the oil pump in the replacement transmission was bad and you fixed it using the old oil pump from the original transmission, correct?

I'd say you are pretty fortunate to be able to find an LS430 in a U-pick junkyard. We only have one in my area and I just can't imagine them ever getting an LS430 in their lot...
So when I incorrectly installed the torque converter, I shattered the oil pump in the new transmission. I swapped with the oil pump from my old transmission.

Yea I found it in south San Jose. And got there 3 days after it was brought there. I took the motor and transmission from it. Both for 360$ with 2 year warranty. The craziest part was that it was an ultra luxury ls430. Looks like it was perfect before getting hit.
Old 03-22-17, 10:24 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Glad to hear you got the problem squared away. Granted it was a tough one to figure out, but I bet you can pull the tras out with the best of them now!
Old 03-25-17, 08:36 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Beer

You should buy a case of beer for the dude at the transmission shop.

Originally Posted by rubeld
so when you posted this i was completely lost. I removed the trans and converter again and couldn't see anything wrong. What did I do? Called the nearest transmission shop and asked for advice, told him that when I bolted the converter to the flex plate it sat flush, then put the trans on and everything fit perfect. Which is when I found out that I'm an idiot for not looking up how to install a torque converter. He told me to bring it in and he will check it out for free, i brought both to him and he looked right into the hole where the torque converter sits on the trans and told me the oil pump broke even showed me where the oil pump sits and I was kinda lost until I came home and pulled oil pump from old transmission (unbolt bellhousing 2x 17mm bolts at bottom 4x 14mm bolts then unbolt 7x 12mm bolts for that first plate. Pull whole plate off and swap) when I looked at good pump it was evident that the old pump was completely broken. I put it back on filled her up now she is better than ever. Literally. I can't thank you guys enough for al the info and support. Hopefully one day I can help one of you guys with something. All together I paid 167$ with 2 year warranty at pick n pull on a 50% off day. And 76 dollars on transmission fluid.

btw the correct way to install is put converter into transmission first, make sure it's seated down all the way ( I though for a second I had it in all the way but I stood the trans up vertically and spun and played with it and it dropped two more splines) Then install both onto engine