LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Introducing myself, First Lexus & LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-17, 12:02 PM
gear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Introducing myself, First Lexus & LS430

Hello fellow CLF members! Obviously my screen name is gear, but my first name is Brad. I live in north Chicago...

I just purchased my first Lexus on Friday evening (2/24/2017): A 2004 LS430, 87500 mileage, white exterior, cashmere interior, nav, ml soundsystem, etc. Ended up paying $11,800... which is fair for a LS in such good condition. The saleman said it had the best interior he's ever seen for a used LS430... that may be embellished but there must be a degree of truth since it looks like nobody has ever sat in the vehicle. My previous car was a 2007 Mini Cooper S, so everything seems so comfortable and compliant. Its nice not having to wince when going over bumps!

I'm still figuring out little stuff like setting the steering/seat positioning to a preset. Seems like every time I get in the car it automatically configures the car for Shaq or Tyrion Lannister. I didn't notice it during the test drive (volume was low and it was on talk radio) but it seems like the subwoofer is blown. Judging by the 9000000000000 articles on CLF this is a common issue.

Here are some pictures!

Old 02-26-17, 12:33 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

congrats! that looks like my car, although my MSW's with snow tires are different...my mileage is the same as well but an '06....

The front license plate matches in color I guess? I don't have one, I guess because my car started in FLA....not sure about the programming other than presets 1,2,3....
Old 02-26-17, 01:40 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Welcome to the club....

The price sounds about right and the few minor things you have are easily addressed. Find a reputable independent mechanic for the things you don't want to take on and you will have a great car for many years.

Even owning our '01 (since '04) there pops up a feature or function we did not know about....

We look forward to you sharing your mods, fixes and experiences...
Old 02-26-17, 05:47 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

I believe you have to hold to set button down and then press whichever button you wish to store your settings to. Took me a few tries to figure that out.

Nice car. I'm beginning to like white the more that I see them...
Old 02-26-17, 07:24 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Nice looking specimen and nice find. If you're happy with the car/price that's all that matters. She does look very clean.
Welcome to the club...and enjoy the new ride.
Old 02-26-17, 08:15 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Welcome to CL! Very nice example of moonlight pearl paint over cashmere interior. You'll love that luxury ride over the skateboard Mini!

Looks like you're in the Ravenswood area. Your pic looks better than this plain one!
Attached Thumbnails Introducing myself, First Lexus & LS430-thomas-waters-school.jpg  

Last edited by Tom57; 02-26-17 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-27-17, 05:16 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Congrats on the purchase Gear. I see you've got the city sticker already. Fortunately I don't have to purchase those...
The car looks clean. I have the same wheels on my LS with my winter tires.
Old 02-27-17, 05:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tom57
Welcome to CL! Very nice example of moonlight pearl paint over cashmere interior. You'll love that luxury ride over the skateboard Mini!

Looks like you're in the Ravenswood area. Your pic looks better than this plain one!
haha that's why I try to remove any personal details, but I'm sure there's software to recognize and identify the data in pics (like someone recognized the area when I posted the pic with two Lexus in the driveway)....that's not to say I wouldn't meet up with you guys if we were to have an event....
Old 02-27-17, 09:57 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Hi Brad. Welcome to CL. Nice car, reasonable price. I have an 04 ML. The bells and whistles are fun (!!) but a headache to fix. I've done a couple of things to reduce possible problems.
1) Had the auto adjust turned off on tilt and telescope motors. Can still manually adjust.
2) Shut off the NAV display (using options). Why? It's pretty dated and they sometimes fail. It's a headache to repair and expensive. If you need the DVD, turn it back on. If it fails, can't adjust stereo or AC. With the screen black, need to adjust either? Tap "Climate" or "Audio" buttons. Display lights up, do the adjust. Tap the button and display shuts off. You'll see the back up cam w/o having to do anything. Cell phone connect display lights up automatically. Etc, etc.
3) Shut off auto fold on side mirrors (unless you need). Expensive to replace and they do fail.
Great replacement for a Mini! The LS is "slightly" harder to park tho!
Old 02-27-17, 10:06 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Shut off the NAV display (using options). Why? It's pretty dated and they sometimes fail. It's a headache to repair and expensive. If you need the DVD, turn it back on. If it fails, can't adjust stereo or AC. With the screen black, need to adjust either? Tap "Climate" or "Audio" buttons. Display lights up, do the adjust. Tap the button and display shuts off. You'll see the back up cam w/o having to do anything. Cell phone connect display lights up automatically. Etc, etc.
Excellent suggestion. Especially on a car as old as ours!
Old 02-27-17, 10:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

1) Had the auto adjust turned off on tilt and telescope motors. Can still manually adjust.
That's pretty smart, I hadn't thought of it and yanked the fuse instead. I bet the dealer might have done it for free, but now I have no plans on going back....
Old 02-27-17, 10:43 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
haha that's why I try to remove any personal details, but I'm sure there's software to recognize and identify the data in pics (like someone recognized the area when I posted the pic with two Lexus in the driveway)....that's not to say I wouldn't meet up with you guys if we were to have an event....
While fiddling with the NAV (to figure out how to shut it off) found previous owner info, phone #'s for friends, etc. Also found I can set repair reminders, enter repairs done, etc.
Old 02-27-17, 10:53 AM
2KHarrier

While fiddling with the NAV (to figure out how to shut it off) found previous owner info, phone #'s for friends, etc. Also found I can set repair reminders, enter repairs done, etc.
And you can add personal reminders as well. I'll have to add one in to freak out my wife.. "Stop spending money" or something along those lines...
Old 02-27-17, 11:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

One thing I always forget, is to delete the bluetooth pairing from a loaner/rental car. What stinks is besides BMW, they don't seem to be unique (BMW has the last 5 of the VIN in the name). So I don't know if Hands Free, My-Car, or Your Vehicle is the rental car from Toronto. I think it's My-Car, and Hands Free is the Lexus? I'm gonna delete My-Car and see what happens! (what are the odds of that Pathfinder getting close to me, and pairing up?)
Old 02-27-17, 11:09 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Excellent suggestion. Especially on a car as old as ours!
Really don't miss having the display on. Have to hit the buttons anyway to do adjusts. Just means have to wait briefly while display appears (sometimes almost instantly). I use my iPhone (in a holder) w/ audio on to navigate. I wish there was some way to put that on the NAV. If so, I'd use the display and budget for repair (650).

Quick Reply: Introducing myself, First Lexus & LS430