LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

thinking of buying 05 LS430 ML/Nav

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 09:43 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Ah, ok. Well I have a lead on a few others, so I am going to go check those out as well. This one here doesn't seem to be as well maintained. I like this one:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/5977342208.html

For the color, and the willingness of the guy to negotiate (and the LOW miles), I am going to look at it today.

Also this one, further from me, seems to be a UL, has all the features you mentioned above but seems to be at one of those shady, "tote-the-note" lots:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/6008193321.html
Old 02-20-17, 11:59 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

The blue '03 has been listed for 24 days. Why? Bet he'll go lower. Has the timing belt been replaced? Is the front suspension in good shape (tight, no clunking noises)? It's a Base with low mileage. If the car's any good, repair costs should be reasonable.

I wouldn't buy a car from anyone that advertises in capital letters. Buy now, operators are waiting to take your call. Hang on to your wallet.
Old 02-20-17, 12:00 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

That second one isn't a UL either. Just a base model with Nav. It does look pretty clean though, and a few less miles than the blue one. The Nav is OK to have, but outdated and difficult to use.. My wife uses her phone instead of the Nav in our '05, and I installed the latest map DVD available.
If you walk into the dealership with cash, you may have some negotiating power with those guys. They probably don't have more than 3800-4000 into it.
Old 02-20-17, 01:15 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

If I had to choose, I'd vote for the 03. Make sure TB change and no suspension problems. Make sure it's turn key and doesn't need any work! Autocheck shows how many previous owners. Offer under 5k. If the car is good, that's a deal.
Old 02-20-17, 08:27 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
The blue '03 has been listed for 24 days. Why? Bet he'll go lower. Has the timing belt been replaced? Is the front suspension in good shape (tight, no clunking noises)? It's a Base with low mileage. If the car's any good, repair costs should be reasonable.

I wouldn't buy a car from anyone that advertises in capital letters. Buy now, operators are waiting to take your call. Hang on to your wallet.
Ok, so I didn't even drive the blue one. It was in TERRIBLE SHAPE. it was at a tote the note place, so I almost turned around without even getting out of the car, I should have, but I figured it couldnt hurt to look.

First thing I noticed, the car was already running. BAD sign. Why wouldn't he hand me the keys and let me start it? He claimed he was just being nice. Not buying it but OK. I walk closer, and the paint is well, awful. The chrome door handles are painted, the chrome trime around the windows, even the roof strips, and its peeling around the wheel wells. Seriously, it looks like a 2 year old blind monkey painted this car in a sandstorm.

But still, I didn't leave, because I can paint cars. I have done it before. The whole time I am thinking, this car is getting cheaper. Then I open the drivers door and I am hit in the face with smoke. I am almost done. I sit, and not only is the leather worn off the wheel, the clear is cracked on the wood, but the window has some sort of glue on it and wont roll down, the windshield is cracked halfway across, and the dash is slightly warped. Then I put my hands on the wheel AND THEY STUCK TO IT!!! Thats it, I am out.

I told the guy: "Thats it, I am out, I don't even want to drive it. I won't even insult you by making you an offer dude. It just isnt the right car for me. Thanks but no."

I still smell like smoke, 8 hours and a shower later.

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
That second one isn't a UL either. Just a base model with Nav. It does look pretty clean though, and a few less miles than the blue one. The Nav is OK to have, but outdated and difficult to use.. My wife uses her phone instead of the Nav in our '05, and I installed the latest map DVD available.

If you walk into the dealership with cash, you may have some negotiating power with those guys. They probably don't have more than 3800-4000 into it.
I walked into the dealership with cash, this car was much better. It clunked in the front, but he let me put it on the lift, and it was sway bar links, which I can fix. I drove it and the "Check VSC" Light was on, and you tube said that was most likely a gas cap, but a quick call to a friend of mine that owns a Lexus Repair Facility local here said if I bought it, it was probably just needing the computer reset since the VSC codes and the CEL codes are separate. Could also be 02 sensor downstream. Either way, car is getting cheaper. Those were the ONLY 2 things wrong with it, and I approached the sales guy and he said to make him an offer (he was asking $5500). I offered $4,000 at first for an as-is cash deal. he said no way. I said, I would do $5k if he fixed those 2 things, he said nope. $5500 and I take it as is.

So I walked. Sorry guy, you don't have the only LS in town, let alone the country.
Originally Posted by tallcaguy
If I had to choose, I'd vote for the 03. Make sure TB change and no suspension problems. Make sure it's turn key and doesn't need any work! Autocheck shows how many previous owners. Offer under 5k. If the car is good, that's a deal.
It just wasn't right. None of the ones I looked at today were spectacular. The sage? green-silver was the best of the 4 and it 7/10. The silver on black was 5/10 AND I couldnt drive it when I got there to look at it, it was being worked on, it needed new tires and a catalytic converter.

I am more upset that I wasted a half a day of time and a tank of gas in my wife's Civic. Not that it was expensive. But I had to ride a half a day and do rush hour traffic...in a 2014 civic...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-20-17 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-21-17, 04:16 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

You gave it your best shot. Keep in mind, they're like buses. If you miss one, another is coming along shortly. No need to rush into a car, and then regret it later. Just ask me about my 5 week experience with a Veloster last year...
Old 02-21-17, 10:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
You gave it your best shot. Keep in mind, they're like buses. If you miss one, another is coming along shortly. No need to rush into a car, and then regret it later. Just ask me about my 5 week experience with a Veloster last year...
Or me when I was 23 and bought a top of the line Volvo that was 11 y.o. The guy must have been in his late 40's and was perfectly fine ripping me off--both head gaskets (V6) were blown and he poured that stop leak junk into the radiator. My dad said you had to have a Volvo so this is what happens--now junk the car. $2k was a lot to a struggling 23 y.o.

I took the guy to court and lost, salt in the wounds. So, as full grown men, why would we ever put ourselves into such a situation? That's my .02....
Old 04-12-17, 01:04 AM
Lexie's LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You'll love it!

My 05 LS430 has 270k miles. Only issue, just recently resolved, is dead battery syndrome. It's a keeper with classic lines.