LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2001 LS430 Right Tire touches wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-17, 11:08 AM
horserider
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 LS430 Right Tire touches wheel well

I have a 2001 LS 430 and now my right tire rubs on the wheel well and I cannot drive it now. I started to notice that when I turned off the car, the body of the car would then start to rest just on the right front wheel but after I turned it on it would lift back up within a couple of minutes. Now, after a few months, it no longer will rise up and is not drivable. Can anyone tell me what this might be and what part I may need? Thank you kindly!
The following users liked this post:
cridibo2k (12-06-19)
Old 02-12-17, 11:14 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome to the club Horse. Sounds like you probably have a UL model that has a collapsed strut.

Loads of information on the site here that you can use. Feel free to do a search, and you'll find the answer.

Welcome aboard!
Old 12-06-19, 03:44 AM
cridibo2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horserider
I have a 2001 LS 430 and now my right tire rubs on the wheel well and I cannot drive it now. I started to notice that when I turned off the car, the body of the car would then start to rest just on the right front wheel but after I turned it on it would lift back up within a couple of minutes. Now, after a few months, it no longer will rise up and is not drivable. Can anyone tell me what this might be and what part I may need? Thank you kindly!
any luck?!!!
Old 12-06-19, 06:31 AM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

It's been almost 3 years and this was their only post to CL, I'm sure they're not coming back.

That being said I'll do my best to help you, I'm assuming you have a similar issue? Don't always assume it's a bad strut, sometimes sagging or uneven suspension can be caused by a failed ride height sensor. Do research and if you have a check engine light look up the code to help with diagnosis. Describe your problems and hopefully we can get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 12-07-19, 01:59 AM
cridibo2k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jharris400
It's been almost 3 years and this was their only post to CL, I'm sure they're not coming back.

That being said I'll do my best to help you, I'm assuming you have a similar issue? Don't always assume it's a bad strut, sometimes sagging or uneven suspension can be caused by a failed ride height sensor. Do research and if you have a check engine light look up the code to help with diagnosis. Describe your problems and hopefully we can get you pointed in the right direction.
Yes I’m having a problem with my suspension. The guy I bought it from told me it was bad struts in the front but I was also told by someone it was my module under my dash. My car is too low to drive all the way around. When I start the car the air pump comes on but stays on and the car doesn’t lift at all!! No check engine lights or anything !
Old 12-07-19, 04:11 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by cridibo2k
Yes I’m having a problem with my suspension. The guy I bought it from told me it was bad struts in the front but I was also told by someone it was my module under my dash. My car is too low to drive all the way around. When I start the car the air pump comes on but stays on and the car doesn’t lift at all!! No check engine lights or anything !
Replace with new air strut:

One with air suspension problems on a Lexus LS 430 may also wish to give converting to coil over some serious thought. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=converting...on&t=hx&ia=web
Old 12-07-19, 07:38 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

The OP is long gone. One post 3 years ago and now out of town! lol
Old 12-07-19, 03:50 PM
jharris400
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

I wouldn't assume it was the suspension controller module, the compressor is on, it knows the front is lower than it should be. I assume both struts are bottomed out? If that's the case I wouldn't think they were both bad, usually they slowly leak and I would think the compressor could get them to raise some unless the air bags are completely blown out and it's not a small leak.

You will need to get the car off the ground to get to the front control valve behind the passenger front fender liner that's where I would start. Look at the PDFs I attatched from the factory service manual, I strongly suggest you get yourself a copy. Emanuals online sells a copy of the factory service manual but it isn't in PDF form, you have to view it in a virtual machine.

As a last note be careful how long you run the suspension compressor for, don't let it run continuously and get too hot. I can't say how hot is too hot but they're not meant to run continuously I would imagine damage would occur.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
INSP.pdf (69.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: pdf
COMP (1).pdf (50.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-08-19, 02:16 AM
cridibo2k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jharris400
I wouldn't assume it was the suspension controller module, the compressor is on, it knows the front is lower than it should be. I assume both struts are bottomed out? If that's the case I wouldn't think they were both bad, usually they slowly leak and I would think the compressor could get them to raise some unless the air bags are completely blown out and it's not a small leak.

You will need to get the car off the ground to get to the front control valve behind the passenger front fender liner that's where I would start. Look at the PDFs I attatched from the factory service manual, I strongly suggest you get yourself a copy. Emanuals online sells a copy of the factory service manual but it isn't in PDF form, you have to view it in a virtual machine.

As a last note be careful how long you run the suspension compressor for, don't let it run continuously and get too hot. I can't say how hot is too hot but they're not meant to run continuously I would imagine damage would occur.
I took a look today and this is what I saw. I’ll attach pics

Passenger rear

Driver rear

Driver front

Passenger front / Side that’s touch wheel well
it’s really the passenger side of the car that’s low. So what does that mean 😩😩😩
Old 12-09-19, 07:20 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 216 Posts

Chances are the level sensor has busted on that side. Jack up the rear and remove the wheel and it should be visible.
Compare the right side one to the left side one. They normally break completely off.
Fix is to fit a new sensor. They ain't cheap but much cheaper than new struts.
Old 12-16-19, 02:57 AM
cridibo2k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BigBoomer
Chances are the level sensor has busted on that side. Jack up the rear and remove the wheel and it should be visible.
Compare the right side one to the left side one. They normally break completely off.
Fix is to fit a new sensor. They ain't cheap but much cheaper than new struts.
can I change the front to shocks and leave the back in air?
Old 12-16-19, 04:33 AM
Vantage007
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 50 Posts

can I change the front to shocks and leave the back in air?
I mean, you *could* if you really wanted to, but that's a pretty ghetto solution to a flagship luxury sedan, no matter how old it is. You'd be better off just swapping to standard shocks/struts all around, and enjoying decent ride quality. My Ultra has had the air swapped out for a regular suspension and it still rides like butter.
Old 12-16-19, 09:55 PM
cridibo2k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vantage007
I mean, you *could* if you really wanted to, but that's a pretty ghetto solution to a flagship luxury sedan, no matter how old it is. You'd be better off just swapping to standard shocks/struts all around, and enjoying decent ride quality. My Ultra has had the air swapped out for a regular suspension and it still rides like butter.
eventually that’s what I plan on doing but for the time being I have to get this car moving. I know cheap isn’t always best but FOR NOW what’s the cheapest ones I can get for the front.
Old 12-17-19, 11:16 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts

These strut/coil assemblies would be your best bet, or something similar. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do
Old 12-19-19, 03:14 AM
cridibo2k
Driver School Candidate

eventually that’s what I plan on doing but for the time being I have to get this car moving. I know cheap isn’t always best but FOR NOW what’s the cheapest ones I can get for the front.
is there another site cause it’s gonna take forever to get my struts from them 😂