LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Took care of a few things this afternoon

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 09:26 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Took care of a few things this afternoon

I go the oil changed a few days ago and was told the Throttle Body was pretty dirty. Since the dealer wanted 117.00 dollars to clean it and the Mass Air Flow Sensor I figured I would do it myself. So, I spent some time out in the garage this afternoon, doing some maintenance.

While I was in there, I pulled the PCV valve and cleaned that as well.
Here's before and after shots of the Throttle Body;
Dirty Throttle Body
Clean Idle Circuit
Clean TB

I bought a set of wheels for the '01 for the summer tires. They're 17X7.5 Platinum Wraith's so I test fit one while I had the car in the garage. I think they'll look ok.

And here's the engine covers all back together and cleaned up.

Drove it tonight and seems to idle better. I'll see how the fuel consumption is when I go back to work on Monday..

Next is the rear Diff oil. It's been probably 60K miles since it was last done.

I'm hoping to see what I can do with the steering wheel cracks tomorrow (Another thread)

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 02-11-17 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-11-17, 10:04 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Did you get the oil change done at North Shore? How was the service and what did it cost?

Did you reuse the gasket for the throttle body or buy new???
Old 02-12-17, 04:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Nice, is this difficult to do....and let us know if you see any difference....on my Maxima I would get a code now and again for my throttle position sensor, so I bought the Dorman replacement....sure enough one of the two screws holding it, strips at the head....so the only possibility imho is to have some fancy dremel right angle drill to try to drill it out, or, maybe if I had the entire unit out, the screw could be drilled out....but I wondered if I'd need new gasket material as well putting it back in.....

btw do our cars have a cable for the throttle, or is the gas pedal electronic...I suppose I can go and look....
Old 02-12-17, 05:06 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Did you get the oil change done at North Shore? How was the service and what did it cost?

Did you reuse the gasket for the throttle body or buy new???
I did go to North Shore this time. I usually use Lexus of Brookfield, but I figured I would give Lexus of North Shore an opportunity this time. The oil change was $52. They didn't wash the car as they felt it was too cold. I never had Brookfield tell me that... I don't think I'll be going back there again. I just like the facility and the people at Lexus of Brookfield a little more. LOB is also a little closer to my home!

i reused the gaskets and sprayed a little WD40 on them before reassembly.
Old 02-12-17, 05:19 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Nice, is this difficult to do....and let us know if you see any difference....on my Maxima I would get a code now and again for my throttle position sensor, so I bought the Dorman replacement....sure enough one of the two screws holding it, strips at the head....so the only possibility imho is to have some fancy dremel right angle drill to try to drill it out, or, maybe if I had the entire unit out, the screw could be drilled out....but I wondered if I'd need new gasket material as well putting it back in.....

btw do our cars have a cable for the throttle, or is the gas pedal electronic...I suppose I can go and look....
Fairly easy, John. Need a torque wrench to correctly retighten the 2 nuts and 2 bolts that hold the throttle body in place.
There's a very good write up on here that was done by xtr3me a few years ago. Very detailed and great pictures as well. I disconnected the battery, so the TPS would not get confused, but I did the majority of the cleaning without moving the butterfly. I had a 300ZX years ago and replaced the TPS on it. I remember those screws being difficult also!

no throttle cable, all fly-by-wire here.
Old 02-12-17, 10:04 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I go the oil changed a few days ago and was told the Throttle Body was pretty dirty. Since the dealer wanted 117.00 dollars to clean it and the Mass Air Flow Sensor I figured I would do it myself. So, I spent some time out in the garage this afternoon, doing some maintenance.

While I was in there, I pulled the PCV valve and cleaned that as well.
Here's before and after shots of the Throttle Body;
Dirty Throttle Body
Clean Idle Circuit
Clean TB

I bought a set of wheels for the '01 for the summer tires. They're 17X7.5 Platinum Wraith's so I test fit one while I had the car in the garage. I think they'll look ok.

And here's the engine covers all back together and cleaned up.

Drove it tonight and seems to idle better. I'll see how the fuel consumption is when I go back to work on Monday..

Next is the rear Diff oil. It's been probably 60K miles since it was last done.

I'm hoping to see what I can do with the steering wheel cracks tomorrow (Another thread)
Nice upgrade on the wheels. How much?
Old 02-12-17, 10:31 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Nice upgrade on the wheels. How much?
Got em through Tirerack. 135 a piece, IIR. Not expensive, I know, but I really didn't want to spend a lot, as I still have to buy another set for the 2005's summer tires.

Thinking about these;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391512110120...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 02-12-17, 12:19 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Sweet job on the TB....

btw I wish 18" OEM take offs were readily available...I have a lot of experience with aftermarket rims, 3 sets of 18's on my Maxima (the reason for so many is they dented easily when hitting a pothole, I didn't, my wife lol), 1 on my BMW for snows, and 1 on the LS. I truly feel aftermarket are not the same quality as OEM. OEMs are likely heavy, but they are durable. When I curbed the LS last Sun., I'm glad they're my $112 MSW Type 14's. They may look ok from a distance, but up close, they kinda look like nothing more than an old steel rim with spokes....meaning not something that would have come with any new car. So I don't like that look, but I feel it's ok for snow tires. One of my Maxima 18's were so poorly designed, that when it snowed, water could collect and it would freeze. The entire car shook violently as a result. These kinds of things would never happen with any OEM rim.....now if you're talking OZ superlegerra or something, they would be sweet, but they break the bank....just my .02
Old 02-13-17, 07:46 AM
2KHarrier

Roughly 75 miles from home to O'Hare this morning and I was averaging 25.5 with the cleaned up Throttle Body. Slightly better than before. Last week I was hovering just below that. Maybe 24.5 or 25 mpg. Not a huge increase, but the Throttle Body is clean now, and won't give me any issues. The snow tires I have on the car have negatively effected the fuel economy this winter, so there should be an increase next month when I switch back to the Yokohamas...
Old 02-13-17, 07:58 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Roughly 75 miles from home to O'Hare this morning and I was averaging 25.5 with the cleaned up Throttle Body. Slightly better than before. Last week I was hovering just below that. Maybe 24.5 or 25 mpg. Not a huge increase, but the Throttle Body is clean now, and won't give me any issues. The snow tires I have on the car have negatively effected the fuel economy this winter, so there should be an increase next month when I switch back to the Yokohamas...
haha you just made me think of my last business trip there in July 2015....stayed in Oak Brook (not sure why the travel desk put me all the way down there), went to the office in Bensenville, and when it was all done, went to the Grateful Dead's last show Sun. night at Soldier Field....my boy was only 1 1/2...I always wanted to bring my son to a show someday so I can check that one off. He was dancing in the parking lot, the videos crack us up with his 2T tie dye...
Old 02-13-17, 05:11 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Your car and your new wheels look spectacular. Please take no offense but your brake fluid is looking a little dark, Do you have plans to replace it?
Old 02-13-17, 05:28 PM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by sgretchko
Your car and your new wheels look spectacular. Please take no offense but your brake fluid is looking a little dark, Do you have plans to replace it?
Thanks for the kind words. No offense here! Yeah, it was done when the previous owner had the timing belt done, around 100K. So, it's probably at a point when I should do it. Brakes do feel a little spongy.
Old 02-14-17, 04:02 PM
2KHarrier

Did some work on the steering wheel cracks today (another thread) and I also used my tube of ShinEtsu to lubricate the window channels

I used a Q-Tip to apply the grease to the channel at the forward and rear edge of the windows. After excercising them a few times, I noticed they do move up and down a little quicker.

Good stuff !