LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DRL's melt ice

Old 02-10-17, 05:02 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default DRL's melt ice

I was a bit surprised, maybe you fellas know from having your cars over the years.....I cleaned up my car after a snowstorm yesterday, best I could since it was still cold outside, and as the car idled, the DRL's melted holes through the ice on the headlamps. This to me demonstrates how inefficient incandescent lamps are, and I suppose, there is truth to how Audi claimed years ago the extensive use of LEDs contributes to a smaller carbon footprint on top of how quickly they respond and light the road as well. I honestly wouldn't have guessed via common sense that the DRLs threw off that much heat. I'd be curious if the xenons melt ice, I almost doubt it? And I'm pretty certain LED headlamps would have no effect....
Old 02-10-17, 05:34 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
And I'm pretty certain LED headlamps would have no effect....
No effect at all. They don't produce heat.
That's a big problem in major cities that are moving to LED lamps in traffic signals. The snow piles up in the signal housing, in front of the light, and eventually, it gets covered and you can't see the signal as clearly. Never used to happen, as the incandescent lamps always melted the precip that accumulated on the stop light.

I guess they didn't think of that, huh?
Old 02-10-17, 05:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
No effect at all. They don't produce heat.
That's a big problem in major cities that are moving to LED lamps in traffic signals. The snow piles up in the signal housing, in front of the light, and eventually, it gets covered and you can't see the signal as clearly. Never used to happen, as the incandescent lamps always melted the precip that accumulated on the stop light.

I guess they didn't think of that, huh?
Interesting, never thought of that! Wouldn't it be funny opening up a Kenny Rogers broasted chicken store, and using LEDs to keep the chicken warm after you broast it, and noticing that you have no customers and wondering why....
Old 02-10-17, 06:58 AM
LudeAEM
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LED's produce heat but very little. Still a chemical reaction
Old 02-10-17, 09:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I definitely like LEDs for DRL functions, and I admit, that adaptive LED on the '16 BMW was the best I've ever seen from the driver's seat, but I actually like the way xenons look from the outside, the best, especially when they swivel! Seriously, the light looks the best. Can't put my finger on it, but a BMW with adaptive LED, from the outside, is not unlike a Corolla....for looks. One would think they function way better...

edit had to correct the fact that the '16 BMW had adaptive LED--in other words, seems to blow HID away for the way it lit up the road, but does not look cool like xenon/HID from the outside. Maybe to me has to do with the leveling/swiveling and color of the light. LED is probably safer to work on as well when compared to xenon. I take much pleasure in knowing, though, that HID/xenon uses less energy than halogen...

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-10-17 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-10-17, 11:00 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The actual LED junctions (the devices that emit the light) produce little heat but the driver circuitry produces lots of heat, though less than incandescents. As I understand it, the issue is that the heat is confined to the back of the bulb housing where the driver circuit is. You can't see the driver heat sinks from the front of the bulb. All that heat is directed back behind the housing unlike incandescent where the majority of the heat comes out in the general direction of the light. One reason why you should be careful with replacing existing incandescent ceiling-recessed bulbs in your house with LED's.
Old 02-10-17, 02:05 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LudeAEM
LED's produce heat but very little. Still a chemical reaction
There isn't a chemical reaction at all. A chemical reaction is a process that changes the ionic or molecular structure of a substance. LEDs are semi-conductors that are designed to allow electrons to change energy levels (and the energy is released in the form of a photon) - the substance inside an LED doesn't undergo a structural change to emit the light. I don't know why you think that LEDs run on a chemical reaction, but it's worth seeing whether you can verify things before you state them. Scientific literacy isn't super common and incorrect statements like yours can unnecessarily complicate discussions.

Back to LEDs, most designs produce very little heat from the lighting element, but there's at least one design in a lab that actually appears to take heat out of its environment to produce light - an air conditioning bulb if you will. More interestingly, the excited atoms that produce laser light spend some time at negative temperatures (which is identical to infinite temperature for practical purposes) so next time you see a car with laser headlights, think about that.
Old 02-10-17, 02:12 PM
LudeAEM
Rookie

Originally Posted by airchomper
There isn't a chemical reaction at all. A chemical reaction is a process that changes the ionic or molecular structure of a substance. LEDs are semi-conductors that are designed to allow electrons to change energy levels (and the energy is released in the form of a photon) - the substance inside an LED doesn't undergo a structural change to emit the light. I don't know why you think that LEDs run on a chemical reaction, but it's worth seeing whether you can verify things before you state them. Scientific literacy isn't super common and incorrect statements like yours can unnecessarily complicate discussions.

Back to LEDs, most designs produce very little heat from the lighting element, but there's at least one design in a lab that actually appears to take heat out of its environment to produce light - an air conditioning bulb if you will. More interestingly, the excited atoms that produce laser light spend some time at negative temperatures (which is identical to infinite temperature for practical purposes) so next time you see a car with laser headlights, think about that.
haha ok relax guy just a LS430 forum Chemical reaction was not the best term to use i agree but thanks for the explanation.
Old 02-10-17, 02:57 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What an American car company attitude - chill out and accept stupidity. Yeah, I guess you made a Chevy Cavalier comment, it was 'good enough' for 'people who dont care or know better'.

Why don't you take that attitude back to the teat sucklers?

It matters because technology is the only thing that gives humanity the capacity to expand the frontier of possibility and ignorant statements like that become ammo for people who insist on speaking their stupidity to power (e.g "we shouldn't use LEDs because they're hard to recycle and they have CHEMICALS") which wastes time and resources that could be spent doing things like making better headlights (available to Americans).

Last edited by airchomper; 02-10-17 at 02:58 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-10-17, 03:04 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Ok, this discussion took a turn...
Old 02-10-17, 04:17 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The arrogance is nauseating. Bleh.

Anyways, If I'm not mistaken, the 3IS LED heatsink can be seen through the headlight below the lens. I always thought that was interesting. I guess the driver is below the LED as opposed to behind it.
Old 02-10-17, 05:31 PM
LudeAEM
Rookie

Originally Posted by airchomper
What an American car company attitude - chill out and accept stupidity. Yeah, I guess you made a Chevy Cavalier comment, it was 'good enough' for 'people who dont care or know better'.

Why don't you take that attitude back to the teat sucklers?

It matters because technology is the only thing that gives humanity the capacity to expand the frontier of possibility and ignorant statements like that become ammo for people who insist on speaking their stupidity to power (e.g "we shouldn't use LEDs because they're hard to recycle and they have CHEMICALS") which wastes time and resources that could be spent doing things like making better headlights (available to Americans).
Wow guy, you're a piece of work. Keep it up.
Old 02-12-17, 03:47 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no need for such harshness. No one know every thing that is why ther are engineers, and craftsmen. Each have his own set of skills.
You can educate if you have the knowledge. But using words like stupid jut repuls people from you.