LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 09:19 AM
Bjamin75
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie

Just picked up a beautiful 2001 Celsior only 69000 km on her and in amazing condition. I've done all the regular things I do with a new vehicle. Engine flush and oil change, trans flush, diff fluid, rad flush, power steering flush, break fluid, air filter, cabin air filter, new spark plugs, and cleaned maf and throttle body. It may not have all been necessary but now I a base line for regular maintenance and I like tinkering with new cars. I can't find a thing wrong with and so far am very pleased with my purchase only paid $6200 that's Canadian by the way. I've been doing a ton of reading on the fourm thanks for all the great information.
Old 02-01-17, 09:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Welcome!! By the way, as a proper initiation, please send me your driver side rear door handle cap, along with the rear right door as well, as long as your paint code 072. This way, you will be initiated and no longer a newbie (it just so happens I have lost both of mine)! I will PM you my address. Just joking...where are you as I see you have a right hand drive and your steering wheel has a Toyota logo? This vehicle is from Japan? Very nice!

p.s. your door cap won't work on mine since your left front will not have a key hole...shucks how are we gonna get you initiated properly...
Old 02-01-17, 09:45 AM
Bjamin75
Driver School Candidate

Ya I'll get right on that. It is a Japanese import I'm in Canada we can get cars from Japan once they are 15 years old.
Old 02-01-17, 11:35 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm curious why you would even want a right hand drive car for use up in Canada? Other than mail or paper deliveries it would seem rather awkward driving around...
Old 02-01-17, 11:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Can it be legally driven into the USA? When the vehicle approaches CBP, it's going to be on the wrong side of the agents' booths....wonder if that tips off more things such as emissions, DOT, etc.
Old 02-01-17, 12:05 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Can it be legally driven into the USA? When the vehicle approaches CBP, it's going to be on the wrong side of the agents' booths....wonder if that tips off more things such as emissions, DOT, etc.
Welcome to the club BJ. Nice looking Celsior. Looks like you're on to a good start with all the accomplished maintenance!

John, cars 25 years of age and older can now legally be imported into the US. This Celsior, as it has not yet reached that age is not able to be registered here. It could be driven here, if the owner so desired, but would have to have Canadian registration.

There are a number of importers who specialize in importing Japanese cars that have reached that magic age.

Here's one site that I frequent;

https://www.japaneseclassics.com

Lots of interesting cars, all RHD however...
Old 02-01-17, 12:37 PM
Bjamin75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Welcome to the club BJ. Nice looking Celsior. Looks like you're on to a good start with all the accomplished maintenance!

John, cars 25 years of age and older can now legally be imported into the US. This Celsior, as it has not yet reached that age is not able to be registered here. It could be driven here, if the owner so desired, but would have to have Canadian registration.

There are a number of importers who specialize in importing Japanese cars that have reached that magic age.

Here's one site that I frequent;

https://www.japaneseclassics.com

Lots of interesting cars, all RHD however...

Thanks I'm a bit of a maintenance freak. The next steps will be doing some custom work to make it my own.
Old 02-01-17, 12:41 PM
Bjamin75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gronemus
I'm curious why you would even want a right hand drive car for use up in Canada? Other than mail or paper deliveries it would seem rather awkward driving around...

I have driven right hand drives before and have no problems with it. I know they aren't for everybody but I had been looking for months to find the right car. It has all the features I wanted very low mileage immaculate condition and thousands less than an equivalent North American model. It will also keep my fat *** out of the drive through.
Old 02-01-17, 08:33 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The bugger about JDM imports like Celsiors is everything is in Japanese and there's no real way to convert it to English. Half of the cars in New Zealand share this problem, even my Lexus had this issue when it came here (also JDM), but somehow Toyota NZ managed to change it to English. I paid $6,300 for mine which is about $5000 Canadian Pesos.

Start your customising by cutting off the rear mufflers and fitting straight pipe there. Sounds like this

https://youtu.be/MKqpaLYCitw
Old 02-01-17, 09:13 PM
Bjamin75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Scootymad
The bugger about JDM imports like Celsiors is everything is in Japanese and there's no real way to convert it to English. Half of the cars in New Zealand share this problem, even my Lexus had this issue when it came here (also JDM), but somehow Toyota NZ managed to change it to English. I paid $6,300 for mine which is about $5000 Canadian Pesos.

Start your customising by cutting off the rear mufflers and fitting straight pipe there. Sounds like this

that sounds sick. I've been looking into buying the touch screen from a North American model and putting it in then getting the appropriate disk for it but if there's a way to convert what I have to English that would be awesome.
Old 02-02-17, 04:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

When I got my 2017 Malibu at YUL (I coulda grabbed a Chrysler 300 with NY tags, but it was a snowstorm so I rather get a car with 4 snows), everything was in French. We're under a tight deadline when traveling, so I didn't have time to fiddle with the car, cause you can change it to mph gal etc plus English. I showed one of my compadres there and he said huh that's interesting, the km thing yes, but to have the dashboard in French, never saw that. Yeah I can understand it, but it was annoying.
Old 02-03-17, 06:14 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

That does sound good, but geez, he keeps bouncing it off the rev limiter, I expected to see parts come flying out the bottom of the car...
Old 02-03-17, 06:35 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Thats really awesome congrats. I've always wanted a right hand drive car like a skyline or something.
Old 02-03-17, 05:54 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
That does sound good, but geez, he keeps bouncing it off the rev limiter, I expected to see parts come flying out the bottom of the car...

You mean I keep bouncing it off the limiter.

I've done far worse things to more sensitive engines my friend Thank god for bulletproof Toyota V8s