Navigation to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 06:23 PM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Navigation to?

OK..
I do understand that it will be best to use my phone as the Primary nav aid after actually using real maps.

For example...
First planned road trip to New Orleans for Valentines day.

Journey initially starts in Port Isabel TX.

After spending some quality time inputting the new search area... I believe 6 instead of 5... The route given was nearly 500 miles longer than necessary.

Routed me through Laredo TX. Two hundred miles out of my way.

Now, I have been told and read from all other helpful folks here, that this is not an unusual circumstance.

There are two viable alternatives.

1. Always shorten the onboard nav system routes to less than 200 miles. Then reset to next location, again... pick something close. You may save these locations... a good thing... But cumbersome.

2. Use your phone.... Say "drive to 3636 Saint Charles Avenue, New Orleans. (a nice hotel in the Garden District btw)

Then.... Use the MLS audio system to amp up your vibes to aquire the proper New Orleans Attitude...

​​​​​Speaking of which... The Mark L system will be thoroughly graphed and tested upon my return. Least I can do after all of the help I have received here.

My background includes some extreme home theater installs and Calibrations... Both aural and ISF/SMPTE standards.

Can't wait to share... Initial sound processor readings with all components in bristol condition are amazing for vehicle audio. I will try to do both running at speed and resting sound tests.

Let me know here if you care for this data

All the best
​​​​​​​Doug k
Old 01-30-17, 07:07 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Sounds like you may not have an updated DVD. If not, I'd try using mapquest or google to obtain their suggested routes. Then you could break up the routing as you are doing in better steps. My nave almost always gives me 2 or 3 different routes to choose from. I've always been pleased with the routing on my car.
Old 01-31-17, 07:25 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not had this problem with my Gen 3 navigation system. Always been spot on for long distance navs (I'm out West and maybe things are more straightforward here). I'd make sure you don't have any oddball routing options turned on (stuff like 'Avoid Toll Roads' etc, not sure what options there are but look just to make sure).

BTW, is ISF Cal of HDTVs still a thing? I once had one done on the very first HDTV I bought (~18-20 years ago ). It was a Toshiba rear projection HDTV that was my BABY for a few years. The ISF Cal did wonders for that television.
Old 01-31-17, 07:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Interesting I put in the new disc, but have never once used the NAV. I do glance at it to see what direction I'm going, and to see side streets etc. I always keep it oriented in a northerly fashion, like a map. I totally rely upon google maps on my phone--it saves time since it's 100% in real time. It is usually accurate, and yesterday, it stated that my normal and everyone else's alternate route would have been +21 min. (due to a turnpike bridge being out) I observed only 2 other cars doing the exact route that I did--I bet they were using google or waze.
Old 01-31-17, 08:25 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed on the phone as "the most accurate and up-to-date".

I found that I do indeed have a version 5 disk which is probably original to the car.... A v15 is on its way.
I will have the phone at the ready in any case.

Regarding the ISF calibrations...
Today's displays, in no small part, owe their accuracy of image to the early work of the Imaging Science Foundation. Out of box performance is so good on current panels save for the least expensive. If you select a "theater" preset in a light controlled environment, a measured calibration is worthy only for folks that really desire perfection. (or as close to it as possible) I've dialed in dozens and dozens of both front and rear projectors and since they used three "guns or crts" the real bang for the buck was that an ISF tech could "converge" and align those elements. The picture would then be very clear. On today's panels, this convergence is no longer an issue. Only on higher end projectors are controls even available. If you are into it... Make sure you verify the Black/White levels with the use of a test disk. Set the presets to theater, cinema or d65, turn down the lights and enjoy.

​​​​​​Hope this helps!
Doug k

Old 01-31-17, 09:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

On my 335i, it has the HK 13-spk stereo (standard in 2007), which is the best I've ever heard in a car (I think my sis in-law's new Audi has 19 but I kinda think more is not better, and all of these are licenses like Top Tier gas, Bang and Olufsen, Bose, HK, Mark Levinson, these imho are not what you'd have at home). Anyway, on the forum, someone had put out the exact settings for both coupe and sedan, and I'm not sure how he arrived at them, but I went with them and never looked back!! And we're talking 10 years!!

p.s. on the Denon at home, I had it calibrated for 5.1 but my wife moved the sub and center around, and the toddler lost the mic, so whatever....that's your loss kid when you watch "Finding Dory...."