LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

my buddy said hand wash only

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 11:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default my buddy said hand wash only

but did I listen? Nope. Now I'm missing 2/4 of the little end caps for the door handles. Son of a ******! They seem to list for $45 each....

Think about it, would you rather have these caps, or pay $10 ea more and get OEM LCA bushings? Price is outta whack.

OK all joking aside, if a car wash can knock them off, is it the car's fault, meaning maybe they were already loose somehow? Do they snap in securely?? Why replace if they only fall out again, though I likely will.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2005-20...tTylko&vxp=mtr
Old 01-27-17, 11:45 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

It happens a lot where things fly off, I know on my auto car wash they have a sign that states they aren't responsible.

I one time had a bumper trim piece come off on a different car.

But who has time to always hand wash?
Old 01-27-17, 11:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BradTank
It happens a lot where things fly off, I know on my auto car wash they have a sign that states they aren't responsible.

I one time had a bumper trim piece come off on a different car.

But who has time to always hand wash?
No lie, there are beautiful cars rollin' through the wash every time. Today a S550, BMWs galore, last time a SC430, tons of nice cars. I kinda feel it's the car's fault.....

My buddy is lettin' me have it through email now, he said the car is NOT designed to have the living **** whacked out of it by these heavy sand infested cloth strips!

If I had a brand new S550, would I run it through, probably not. They always put blue tape on my SAT radio antennae, I don't think it would save it, it's probably to mark it.....

I'm not gonna run out and order the caps, from pics in my cell phone, the rear right has been missing for 3 weeks and this is the first time I noticed....

Gentlemen just push yours in I guess, so you don't lose 'em.....
Old 01-27-17, 11:57 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

They used to have a car wash by me that was auto drive thru, but ONLY sprayers, none of those "mop" strands that fly around and knock stuff off.Only problem was, sometimes the spray only didn't clean it off that great. So it was a trade off.

I had a neighbor that payed a guy once a week to come hand detail his fleet of cars. I guess there's the solution.

I couldn't believe he dumped that kind of money into keeping his cars clean, but one of them was a Bentley. I would joke that it wouldn't be much extra work to slip mine in there.
Old 01-27-17, 12:03 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BradTank
They used to have a car wash by me that was auto drive thru, but ONLY sprayers, none of those "mop" strands that fly around and knock stuff off.Only problem was, sometimes the spray only didn't clean it off that great. So it was a trade off.

I had a neighbor that payed a guy once a week to come hand detail his fleet of cars. I guess there's the solution.

I couldn't believe he dumped that kind of money into keeping his cars clean, but one of them was a Bentley. I would joke that it wouldn't be much extra work to slip mine in there.
I don't mean to belittle my LS430, because I truly love this car, but I agree, I can't just spray wash in the winter. If I did, then the salt would be on for longer than I want. But I admit, I will never myself run my BMW through one of these washes, although the dealer does (indie hand washes--go figure).

I see I'm not alone, so I think it's the car's fault maybe over time....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rt-number.html
Old 01-27-17, 01:12 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh man oh man, you may as well call that automatic washing machine the "swirl-o-matic." Hand washing is the only way to go if you care about your paint! But even then it has to be done the proper way or else you will still cause swirls.
Old 01-27-17, 01:26 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by heathervb
oh man oh man, you may as well call that automatic washing machine the "swirl-o-matic." Hand washing is the only way to go if you care about your paint! But even then it has to be done the proper way or else you will still cause swirls.
Yep, you gotta use fluffy (declawed) kittens to wash and baby seals to dry.
Old 01-27-17, 06:23 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

I think this is just your way of making everybody drop what they are doing and check their door handles...

Mine are still there...
Old 01-27-17, 06:31 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gronemus
I think this is just your way of making everybody drop what they are doing and check their door handles...

Mine are still there...
haha the color is really tricky, can't go by description, must go by paint code. Moonlight Pearl is 072. The description is silky white pearl 072. There is a white pearl 062. Nuts.

So, if you need a driver cap and a rear right, this is it! Better yet, tape $30 to each door handle, drive through the car wash, and see if the bills are still there....
Old 01-27-17, 07:58 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Yep, you gotta use fluffy (declawed) kittens to wash and baby seals to dry.
Man, I have been doing it wrong all this time !!! I know I can get Kittens (declawing them is about $30 at Petco) at the local pound but, baby seals ? Where can I get some ? Do I have to mail order them ? Shipping live things is crazy expensive !

LOL...I am kidding..
Old 01-28-17, 04:53 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

So, are these aftermarket plastic chrome add-ons, or are the actual door handle covers departing the door. Mine obviously aren't missing, but never gave the idea of those falling off much thought.
Old 01-28-17, 05:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

It's only the small square behind the handle where it fell off, driver side and rear door. It's gonna be $60 discount to replace 2, and from eBay pics, they are nothing more than tiny plastic squares. Because there's another post where someone lost them as well, it's imho the car's fault. I likely will buy them, but not install until I'm done with the car wash in spring. I'll ask them if they found them, but I really don't think it's their fault. Lots of way better cars rollin' through non stop. I found a seller on eBay for the baby seals, but I don't like the "They will arrive alive, or Paypal will give you a credit" Paypal isn't the easiest to file a claim with!

On these caps the color is critical and you can't go by the description, need to get down to paint code....

Name:  20170128_081500_zpsmx2gu4fz.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  137.6 KB
Old 01-28-17, 06:02 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
On these caps the color is critical and you can't go by the description, need to get down to paint code....
Wow, I guess I had no idea these would even come loose. Hope you find a good solution.
Old 01-28-17, 06:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Wow, I guess I had no idea these would even come loose. Hope you find a good solution.
There's only a small pinhole which is where I assume they attach? (not having one in my hand can't say) I would think the force of the car wash popped them off and likely broke the plastic? I'm thinking the high price is two-fold...no demand, and then color matched? I suppose it bugs me enough that I want to have on hand, but also realize I didn't even notice for 3 weeks (based on cell phone pics).....it is what it is? FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!!
Old 01-28-17, 08:58 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I would try emailing one of the sellers that have lots of used LS430 parts for sale on ebay. I've seen some car dismantlers selling lots of LS430 parts. I'm sure one has to have them for cheaper.

Quick Reply: my buddy said hand wash only