LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Coolant Leverl Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 10:32 AM
jazzwine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leverl Sensor

Is there not a coolant level sensor in the 04 LS 430? A friend's car I worked on had only half a radiator full and nothing in the overflow and nothing ever lit up. I have search Alldata until blue and nothing- so does the car have one and why would it not work (many reasons- I know) and where is it. I would have guessed in the overflow flow tank ( Reservoir ) .

Thanks

Tom in Dallas
04 LS 430, 135,000
Old 01-23-17, 10:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I can't say for sure but I doubt it....I purchased my car used, and on day 2, I noticed that I did not have any coolant in the overflow, and the radiator was down. My temp under these circumstances was identical to what they are with a full radiator and overflow. I was a bit worried, but have found the car does not lose a drop of coolant. It must have evaporated over the 10+ years (odd nobody would have checked but the top air piece has to come off to get to it?).....
Old 01-23-17, 03:23 PM
jazzwine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I can't say for sure but I doubt it....I purchased my car used, and on day 2, I noticed that I did not have any coolant in the overflow, and the radiator was down. My temp under these circumstances was identical to what they are with a full radiator and overflow. I was a bit worried, but have found the car does not lose a drop of coolant. It must have evaporated over the 10+ years (odd nobody would have checked but the top air piece has to come off to get to it?).....
Thanks- I cannot imagine a car at this level would not have such a sensor. Any other opinions or knowledge- lets hope no "alternative facts"!

Thnaks

Tom in Dallas
Old 01-23-17, 06:23 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Well I think John is right. I had the same experience as he did when I picked up my car back in October. No fluid in the expansion tank and the level about 7/8ths full in the radiator. No dash indicator that anything was amiss and temperature reading was always good.

A google search of Lexus LS430 coolant level sensor does not turn up anything other that it appears that the LS400 had some kind of sensor in its expansion tank.

Coolant level is easy enough to check by looking at the expansion tank. Don't even have to remove anything. I do this whenever I check my oil level which is usually every other week or so...
Old 01-23-17, 06:48 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Well I think John is right. I had the same experience as he did when I picked up my car back in October. No fluid in the expansion tank and the level about 7/8ths full in the radiator. No dash indicator that anything was amiss and temperature reading was always good.

A google search of Lexus LS430 coolant level sensor does not turn up anything other that it appears that the LS400 had some kind of sensor in its expansion tank.

Coolant level is easy enough to check by looking at the expansion tank. Don't even have to remove anything. I do this whenever I check my oil level which is usually every other week or so...
In LS series, believe 1994 LS400 was last year for coolant level sensor.

It was located in overflow tank.. Invaluable when a leak is developing....had a water control valve on a 1993 with undetectable leak...but the coolant sensor would illuminate every few months...finally figured it out. Not sure if any newer Lexus models offer this but it prevents major problems.

Perhaps someone with access could ask Lexus why they eliminated this sensor
Old 01-24-17, 04:27 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Strange that a luxury vehicle wouldn't have a coolant level sensor. I guess you don't know until the overheating warning light comes on.
Old 01-24-17, 04:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Strange that a luxury vehicle wouldn't have a coolant level sensor. I guess you don't know until the overheating warning light comes on.
I guess you mean as added protection.....but if your temp gauge is not showing the exact same temp that it always has, you have a serious problem, or at least one that must be addressed immediately, because it does not waver at all under normal circumstances. And the thermostat is mechanical.

My 335i has a level warning, and a temp warning (the flavors are yellow and red), but no gauge. Personally, I prefer the above. On the 335i, the water pump is electric, and it fails out of nowhere--people drive, they get a yellow warning, and it suddenly goes red, and they're DOA as the car will protect itself. Not sure if this indicates luxury, or what (they might as well have a tow truck icon light up on the dash). The only thing I like about this setup is that you have heat for quite a long time without the motor being on at all. That was slick engineering, no gauge imho was not.... my .02