LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Car Cover - my Covercraft experience

Old 01-18-17, 02:46 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Car Cover - my Covercraft experience

Hi everyone. Did a search for car cover info in here. Didn't find anything useful. So I'd like to share my experience and ask a question. Bought a cheap one (100). Trapped water, didn't keep the car cooler, impossible to install when windy and lasted only 6 months. Moved up to Covercraft's Evolution (300). The cover's pretty good; keeps interior temps lower, UV protect, outside of car stays cleaner, ding protection, water resistant (sometimes gets wet under in storms but then evaporates). However, bulky, hard to handle when wet, needs a commercial washing machine to clean.

Just bought a Covercraft Weathershield HP. Perfect fit. Super light, folds up small, good protection. Rain literally rolls off the cover.
The problem is that the double stich seams obviously leak. Called Covercraft. I can get a replacement but it will take weeks. They suggested putting it into dryer (to "re-active elements") and then use a seam sealer. Seems ridiculous to have to repair a brand new $400 cover. Anyone else have the same cover? Do seams leak?
Old 01-18-17, 04:18 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Just watched the gusty wind (26 mph) almost blow the Weathershield off the car. Needs to be tied down. Took the WS off. Lots of water everywhere on the car (especially under seams). Maybe better in light rain. Argument for WS is that it's super convenient. Small when packed and easy to install/remove/pack. Lots of sun/UV/dirt protection.

The good 'ol Evolution is back on. Not moving at all in the wind. Using it, car was fairly dry last weekend despite extensive rain. Seems better in pouring rain (and don't have to tie down). Also sun/UV/dirt/cheap beer protection. Downside is that it's bulky and hard to move/store (especially when wet). Not as convenient.
Old 01-19-17, 12:56 AM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the exact same HP Weathershied and never had those problems. In extreme wind (over 30 mph gust) the cuff that covers the roof antenna will move off of the antenna and the cover will push on the flex portion of the antenna. If I do not use the car for a few days the antenna flexes and holds in a flex. Once the cover is off for a few hours the antenna will fix itself. Other than that the cover does slightly mold in SE Texas where the air is super humid and after a heavy rain the moisture never really goes away. Overall I am happy with this model and have 2 other HPs for other cars.

I had a Coverking on another car where the fabric was not a thick but it lasted over 10 years so I can't complain.

My next house I want something on enough land to where I can build a garage to keep all my cars inside at all times. As is I keep the LS outside because the garage has an air cooled VW and an Acura I got as a graduation gift in 1997. Both cars are much lesser vehicles than the LS but there is a lot of sentimental value there. The Acura is priceless to me.

Swap out the cover and see how it does. You might have gotten one that got passed QC. I tore one of my covers (my fault completely) and they sent me a huge cut of fabric to take to a auto interior shop and repair my cover at my expense for labor. Covercraft could have said "sorry you are out of luck" but they did not so I have a very favorable view of them.
Old 01-19-17, 08:36 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback. Covercraft customer service is great. They've ok'd the return. This one also doesn't fit very well. The other CC covers fit perfectly. Hopefully the replacement solves the problems.
Old 01-21-17, 11:08 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You can buy a carport for one car for about $1200.00.
Old 01-21-17, 03:50 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Have considered. Thanks for the suggest. A
Old 01-21-17, 04:22 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Back in the day when I was working, I drove a new 1992 LS400 to work every day. I also covered it every day with a carcover. The only one that fitted perfectly was the Lexus OEM. The fit allowed the mirrors to help hold it in place. I would roll the cover up from the back until it reached the mirrors. I then rolled the front to the mirrors also. Then I started on one side and flipped the part hanging from the mirror to the ground up on the hood. I then did the same process on the other side of the car. One more flip of the cover and it easily fit into the trunk. I reversed the procedure to install the cover. I did not cover the car in bad weather (wind and rain for instance). The fit was tight enough that I did not use any underbody tie. Using the cover allowed me to have a near perfect interior for +10 years. On a 110 F day, the interior would be 130 F, while an uncovered car interior would be 150 F. I could nearly sell car covers to car loversl.
Old 01-23-17, 12:07 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

My wife covered her 96 ES300 w a high quality cover everyday. At 178k, the car looked new. Just bought a hand held meter that measures temperatures. I'm going to check exterior/interior temperatures w/ and w/o cover on my LS. Also tinted windows. Interior feels much cooler when driving.
Old 01-24-17, 10:55 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Uv light and heat kill everything on a car. A high quality cover in the $350-500 range is completely worth the money. I have a 94 3000GT I have owned for almost 20 years and covered each time it was outside at home or at work. It honestly looks better than most 5 year old car in terms of the paint, rubber trim, and overall look. Aside from some cracking in the leather the interior is flawless. I think the key is getting a cover that is engineered to allow moisture to evaporate quickly from the cover and allow water to pass through it to evaporate from the body of the car. Any cheap cover will block light and heat but in the rain or high humidity you are not so well off with a cheap cover.