LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

If anyone is looking for a '12 LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 05:16 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts
Default If anyone is looking for a '12 LS

There is a beautiful one here in FL - just saw it pop up online yesterday. It's nebula gray with gray interior and offered at a Lexus dealership- 26k miles, certified. Has a very reasonable asking price IMO. It doesn't have Levinson but does have the nice 5 star wheels.

I love that nebula gray color. If I was in the market, it would be really hard for me to stick to my "must have Levinson" rule with a car like this. Great color combo, incredibly low miles, certified.... Someone's gonna get a good one.
Old 01-16-17, 09:24 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Do 460's have the same "expensive to repair/impossible to replace" ML problems?
Old 01-16-17, 11:02 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Do 460's have the same "expensive to repair/impossible to replace" ML problems?
I think they probably do- think I have read a few thread titles on the 4th gen forum about it. I know it's a debate on here, but for me I am sold on the value of CPO and having a certified car would make it a non issue.
Old 01-16-17, 11:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I think they probably do- think I have read a few thread titles on the 4th gen forum about it. I know it's a debate on here, but for me I am sold on the value of CPO and having a certified car would make it a non issue.
hmmm...it does seem like Lexus covers the stereo and nav in a CPO. BMW clearly does not.

https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/w...l_Brochure.pdf

edit: just curious, and Audi would cover nav and stereo, but at $85 per visit....man, I believe Lexus is $0.....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-16-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-16-17, 08:44 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Just checked out the car. I would have to agree beautiful car good price too! Cant beat the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty either. And 2 year or 20,000 mile free maintenance. Only thing is the car had some sort of accident that was repaired two months later. Who knows the extent of the damage but I am sure it will turn off some buyers. I for one don't care if it passes inspection and was fixed right but I know some wont buy a car with an accident. First CPO I have seen with an accident recorded on the carfax. I know there are many ways to fix an accident without being recorded on carfax.

I paid more for my 2011 LS460 LWB back in June with 38K miles on it.

Last edited by LS430FL; 01-16-17 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 12:32 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Just checked out the car. I would have to agree beautiful car good price too! Cant beat the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty either. And 2 year or 20,000 mile free maintenance. Only thing is the car had some sort of accident that was repaired two months later. Who knows the extent of the damage but I am sure it will turn off some buyers. I for one don't care if it passes inspection and was fixed right but I know some wont buy a car with an accident. First CPO I have seen with an accident recorded on the carfax. I know there are many ways to fix an accident without being recorded on carfax.

I paid more for my 2011 LS460 LWB back in June with 38K miles on it.
I didn't look at the CarFax to see the accident. I bought a 2010 Audi S5 over the summer from a private party- the CarFax showed 2 accidents- when I asked the owner about it he scanned and emailed me the police reports, the receipts from the body shop, and in one case he sent the picture of the damage. He was a nut about the car- and both times had been bumped at a stop light or stop sign and insisted on having the rear bumper replaced both times (instead of cosmetically touched up). I verified what he sent me by calling the repair shop where he got the work done where they confirmed it was extremely light damage to the bumper with absolutely no frame or structural damage.

The point: seeing an accident on a CarFax will scare some people, oftentimes rightfully so, but I have no problem digging a little deeper to see the extent of the damage. And CarFax has some other company (I think they own them) where you can pay $20 or so to see the individual police report which often reports how the accident happened, speed the person was traveling, etc. When looking at cars 5 years old (or more), I think some sort of minor accident is almost inevitable.
Old 01-17-17, 12:55 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't look at the CarFax to see the accident. I bought a 2010 Audi S5 over the summer from a private party- the CarFax showed 2 accidents- when I asked the owner about it he scanned and emailed me the police reports, the receipts from the body shop, and in one case he sent the picture of the damage. He was a nut about the car- and both times had been bumped at a stop light or stop sign and insisted on having the rear bumper replaced both times (instead of cosmetically touched up). I verified what he sent me by calling the repair shop where he got the work done where they confirmed it was extremely light damage to the bumper with absolutely no frame or structural damage.

The point: seeing an accident on a CarFax will scare some people, oftentimes rightfully so, but I have no problem digging a little deeper to see the extent of the damage. And CarFax has some other company (I think they own them) where you can pay $20 or so to see the individual police report which often reports how the accident happened, speed the person was traveling, etc. When looking at cars 5 years old (or more), I think some sort of minor accident is almost inevitable.
Whether it's rational or not, accident or body work is no dice for me....imho if one is willing to accept an accident or two, there's really no purpose in going out of the way to get a southern car etc....because everything is in theory. Would a 2006 LS not rust because it's from down south, whereas one in NYC will rust from salted roads during the winter? And if so, at what point, because I've not seen any rust on any Lexus ever, yet 3rd gens are on the web rusting through those rivets for the plastic. Never seen rust on a 2006+ BMW 3, then a person posts a pic of his battery simply falling out of the rear right wheel well. The world is full of anything and everything! That's why I prefer to avoid what we "can" control....there are many clean carfaxes of cars that had accidents, but that's beyond our control. my .02
Old 01-17-17, 04:51 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Good to know about that external link to check out the accident report. I didn't know about that but good to know next time I am car shopping. I agree though the car is beautiful. I know in my area many of the LS owners are older. It is pretty hard to find one that doesn't have rear bumper damage at a minimum. If I told you how many LS's there are in my neighborhood you wouldn't believe me. I think about 80% of them have had some bumper damage. There is even a 2013+ driving around here that is white and has a partial repair where half the bumper is primer grey after several months. I cringe every time I see it. Anyway don't mean to take over your thread with this nonsense, The car is a great deal for someone and I like you think the color combo is great
Old 01-17-17, 06:29 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Good to know about that external link to check out the accident report. I didn't know about that but good to know next time I am car shopping. I agree though the car is beautiful. I know in my area many of the LS owners are older. It is pretty hard to find one that doesn't have rear bumper damage at a minimum. If I told you how many LS's there are in my neighborhood you wouldn't believe me. I think about 80% of them have had some bumper damage. There is even a 2013+ driving around here that is white and has a partial repair where half the bumper is primer grey after several months. I cringe every time I see it. Anyway don't mean to take over your thread with this nonsense, The car is a great deal for someone and I like you think the color combo is great
OK...dying to know how many LS's are in your neighborhood.. Maybe it will be good shopping ground for me when I go to upgrade..!
Old 01-17-17, 07:39 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

I would say in my neighborhood of 1700 homes there are probably around 100+ LS's of various ages. There are quite a few LS430's but there are a ton of LS460's from 2007 to brand new. I cant even begin to estimate how many ES models in here as well in addition to all the bentleys, mercedes, RR etc. It really is car eye candy in here. I'll stick with my LS though and mine has a scratch free bumper *knock on wood* :P
Old 01-18-17, 10:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I would say in my neighborhood of 1700 homes there are probably around 100+ LS's of various ages. There are quite a few LS430's but there are a ton of LS460's from 2007 to brand new. I cant even begin to estimate how many ES models in here as well in addition to all the bentleys, mercedes, RR etc. It really is car eye candy in here. I'll stick with my LS though and mine has a scratch free bumper *knock on wood* :P
Is this because it's FLA? I joke with my buddy in Tampa how through My LS, Naples FLA (never been there) is this magical mysterious wonderful place where life is simply beyond our wildest dreams (my LS spent its first 8 years there and still has a dealer sticker on the front glass). I even connected to some folks on linkedin who own the dealership down there (they're actually out of OH). And, very oddly, I think I saw 5 LS430's last week? WTH is going on....

My work parking lot was like a car show until our dept. got relocated. It's always nice to see the Bentleys, Maseratis, Astons, 911s....the slummin' cars are like the ordinary MBs and BMWs. Tesla seems to be the "cool" car for the 40 and under execs....
Old 01-19-17, 05:43 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Is this because it's FLA? I joke with my buddy in Tampa how through My LS, Naples FLA (never been there) is this magical mysterious wonderful place where life is simply beyond our wildest dreams (my LS spent its first 8 years there and still has a dealer sticker on the front glass). I even connected to some folks on linkedin who own the dealership down there (they're actually out of OH). And, very oddly, I think I saw 5 LS430's last week? WTH is going on....

My work parking lot was like a car show until our dept. got relocated. It's always nice to see the Bentleys, Maseratis, Astons, 911s....the slummin' cars are like the ordinary MBs and BMWs. Tesla seems to be the "cool" car for the 40 and under execs....
Yea i think this area of south Florida just has a lot of LS's. I mean can you blame the people? They are great cars. I am sure there are plenty of 30K mile cream puff 430's just sitting waiting to be found all around this area. Problem is the snow birds seem to hold on to them for a long time!
Old 01-20-17, 05:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Yea i think this area of south Florida just has a lot of LS's. I mean can you blame the people? They are great cars. I am sure there are plenty of 30K mile cream puff 430's just sitting waiting to be found all around this area. Problem is the snow birds seem to hold on to them for a long time!
I never gave that any thought, I suppose snowbirds may bring their cars back up to the northeast during the good weather? Supposedly, the second owner of my car was the original owner's son. But this story doesn't quite pan out as in NYS, and I don't know why, the name and address of the person who traded the car in is provided to the next buyer by law? Are we kidding, home address? And that was a female. The carfax shows 8 yrs. in Naples, FLA, and 2 yrs. in northern NJ. Anyway, my thought was I could get rid of 8 yrs. of salted winter driving by purchasing this car. I don't know what it's like to be old and rich, but I am assuming that someone who fits that m.o. does not abuse a car, which makes them good buys for us on the used market...
Old 01-20-17, 05:51 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I never gave that any thought, I suppose snowbirds may bring their cars back up to the northeast during the good weather? Supposedly, the second owner of my car was the original owner's son. But this story doesn't quite pan out as in NYS, and I don't know why, the name and address of the person who traded the car in is provided to the next buyer by law? Are we kidding, home address? And that was a female. The carfax shows 8 yrs. in Naples, FLA, and 2 yrs. in northern NJ. Anyway, my thought was I could get rid of 8 yrs. of salted winter driving by purchasing this car. I don't know what it's like to be old and rich, but I am assuming that someone who fits that m.o. does not abuse a car, which makes them good buys for us on the used market...
I will generalize here, but there are certain pockets of FL that have insane levels of wealth (on the east coast from Stuart down to Miami in particular). In these areas, the snow birds likely have "vacation homes" that are 2x-3x larger than any of us regular folks' everyday houses.... What this means is the LS that they own in FL gets to stay unused in the garage in FL during the summer when they go up north, out west, overseas, etc. That's why you'll see such low mileage LS's down here at times- they are the "vacation" house car.
Old 01-20-17, 06:04 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I will generalize here, but there are certain pockets of FL that have insane levels of wealth (on the east coast from Stuart down to Miami in particular). In these areas, the snow birds likely have "vacation homes" that are 2x-3x larger than any of us regular folks' everyday houses.....
I believe that area is called "The Gold Coast", correct? With the money they spend on homes, dropping 70K or more on a car probably isn't too much of a concern.

Quick Reply: If anyone is looking for a '12 LS