LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus LS 500

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 07:28 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Cars these days all look the same. Its ridiculous, like there is no style at all. You cant tell an LS from an Avalon and they want 80k for a little bigger nav screen. Back in the day luxury cars had features. Now every car has basically the same features. Whats the point?

As far as the engine, who cares if its powered by gerbils if it goes faster? Gas is getting more expensive and the big V8 is just not practical for most people.

Last edited by RushNatU; 01-11-17 at 07:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mgauss7 (03-21-18)
Old 01-11-17, 10:47 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Gents,Its whats on the inside the counts, don't judge a book by its cover!

The interior is drop dead gorgeous.
Old 01-12-17, 04:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
Gents,Its whats on the inside the counts, don't judge a book by its cover!

The interior is drop dead gorgeous.
That's funny, the President elect's spokesperson said just that, which is why I believe it's a truism.

I think BMW finally realized the ship is sinking (first the 3 (F series 2012+ )which is the bread and butter was removed from the 10 Best list after 23 straight years, now sales are hugely down). Take a look at the new 5. Roundel is back on the hood, no more Jay Leno chin!

edit: looks do matter, but so does the powertrain. A V6 does not cut it at this level. It lacks primary and secondary balance, doesn't matter if you squeeze for high numbers.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-12-17 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 05:49 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I think it looks OK, I saw about 6 videos and maybe about 40 pictures of it. The front end is kind of interesting but, it would grow on me, as I dont mind the newer 460's, I think it's just a progression.

The side profile, kind of reminds me of other cars but, the inside is as I would expect on a LS.

Very disapointed that they went with a v6 and powered with a Twin Turbo, I am sure they will hit the numbers with it and will get better MPG when your not kicking in full power but, I dont think your going to buy a LS if your looking to get 35mpg.... Nothing will beat a v8 and the reason why I looked at these cars...

I guess next progression is a LS460 or LS600 but, 500, not now at least.
Old 01-12-17, 05:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I think it looks OK, I saw about 6 videos and maybe about 40 pictures of it. The front end is kind of interesting but, it would grow on me, as I dont mind the newer 460's, I think it's just a progression.

The side profile, kind of reminds me of other cars but, the inside is as I would expect on a LS.

Very disapointed that they went with a v6 and powered with a Twin Turbo, I am sure they will hit the numbers with it and will get better MPG when your not kicking in full power but, I dont think your going to buy a LS if your looking to get 35mpg.... Nothing will beat a v8 and the reason why I looked at these cars...

I guess next progression is a LS460 or LS600 but, 500, not now at least.
yep...it's not all about numbers....Subaru broke the 300 HP barrier with a 4 cyl., so does that mean, as long as you have 300 HP, a 4 cyl. will do? (Ok I can't mention vibration so much as they use a boxer, but an inline 4 would be imbalanced, just as a V6 is, and yes technically a V8 is not like a V12 or I6)

I also do not like this car marketing where the number bears no relation to the displacement. I guess Lexus is on board with it. BMW and Infiniti are early adopters....
Old 01-12-17, 06:24 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Not me. I buy used and try to keep it under 25K out the door, so by the time that car is in that price range, it'll be at least 10-12 years from now and I'm sure by then I'll have an electric something-or-other...
Probably within 6 years. 8 years max.
Old 01-12-17, 06:42 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't like the exterior look of even my own LS 430 (2006) but I love the interior...which is where I spend all of my time. That's not my problem at all. Lexus interiors are right up there with any of the world's automakers flagships.

My problem is that they keep thinking LS owners want HANDLING. What The F???? WHY would I want "sportiness" in my $100k LUXURY vehicle? I want comfort, quiet and effortless driving. If I want a sports car I will buy a freaking sports car and there I will expect handling, acceleration, aggressive gear changes and brutal braking and the rough ride that goes along with all that. A luxury car should have just enough handling to make it safe and the rest of the technology should concentrate on comfort and silent running.

I swear that once (if it ever happens) my LS 430 gets too old I'm going to look for a 1970's Lincoln or Cadillac and have it resto-modded with modern electronics.

Other than that, the LS 500;s looks are "meh" but the interior is epic.
The following 2 users liked this post by mannye:
aypues (01-12-17), DavidinCT (01-27-17)
Old 01-12-17, 10:48 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mannye

My problem is that they keep thinking LS owners want HANDLING. What The F???? WHY would I want "sportiness" in my $100k LUXURY vehicle? I want comfort, quiet and effortless driving. If I want a sports car I will buy a freaking sports car and there I will expect handling, acceleration, aggressive gear changes and brutal braking and the rough ride that goes along with all that. A luxury car should have just enough handling to make it safe and the rest of the technology should concentrate on comfort and silent running.

I swear that once (if it ever happens) my LS 430 gets too old I'm going to look for a 1970's Lincoln or Cadillac and have it resto-modded with modern electronics.

Other than that, the LS 500;s looks are "meh" but the interior is epic.

I agree that it's frustrating because someone that buys a really large luxury sedan is not the same person that wants to take it to a track and run some hot laps.

Car magazine writers are always spouting nonsense like "suspension is too mushy" but they aren't the actual buyers of these cars. They want every car to have the ride and handling of a Miata. Unfortunately the car companies tend to listen to these people and constantly make their luxury cars not so luxurious. I rode in a newer Lexus ES and it was like you could feel every pebble in the road.

Lexus sold the original LS400 in droves to Americans because they didn't follow the German philosophy of making a car that was good for the Autobahn but not great for American roads. Lexus was more of a Japanese Cadillac and that's what buyers preferred.
The following users liked this post:
mannye (05-04-17)
Old 01-12-17, 06:38 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it looks decent, but i still like the looks of my '01 more....lol.
Old 01-12-17, 07:17 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

We have had our LS460 just over a year now and the wife has been enjoying that one while I have the LS430 to drive. The new 2018 LS was pretty far off from the concept that supposedly inspired it and I too first thought "Infinity M37" when I saw it (my son has a 2011 M37).

We are not in the market for an LS anytime soon. I'd spring for an LC500 (but not too happy with the pricing) before buying a 6 cyl (turbo or not).
Old 01-12-17, 09:00 PM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One question: Where does the front license plate go? Slapping the license plate in the middle of that bling bling grill would ruin the whole front end look. Here in Texas, possible $200 fine without one.
Old 01-13-17, 04:32 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

^^^^Where are plates mounted on current models with big grills like the LS500? Stop being petty lol. States that require front plates will have one from dealer.
Old 01-13-17, 04:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by plex
^^^^Where are plates mounted on current models with big grills like the LS500? Stop being petty lol. States that require front plates will have one from dealer.
We live in a state where there's no front plate (PA). If we moved across the river, plates are required. It's interesting how this is handled by mfgs. BMW includes it and leaves it uninstalled in your trunk (now I don't know where I put it). GM has it as an option, and it's not cheap! On the LS430, I never gave it any thought, but I haven't got one. The car came from FLA, maybe that's why, but it was sold in NY which does require them....

Seriously, would there be evidence of a front plate having been mounted on a 3rd gen? I never thought about it until now....
Old 01-13-17, 08:31 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by vadorade
One question: Where does the front license plate go? Slapping the license plate in the middle of that bling bling grill would ruin the whole front end look. Here in Texas, possible $200 fine without one.

It's funny, that was like my first thought as well.

It would just look really off the license plate floating in the middle of the grille like that. It's such a prominent part of the styling and than having a big license plate slapped on.

Fortunately, my state doesn't have front plates, somehow law enforcement insists in other states they absolutely need front and back plates.
Old 01-13-17, 10:28 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Fortunately, my state doesn't have front plates, somehow law enforcement insists in other states they absolutely need front and back plates.
For those automatic plate readers enforcement tool - get 'em coming and going...

Quick Reply: Lexus LS 500