LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Installing air ride on LS430 UL

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 10:43 PM
pnwbagd430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing air ride on LS430 UL

Hey guys, so I've finally decided to get some aftermarket air ride on my 04 ls430. It's an ultra luxury with the stock air suspension. It was great when I got the car but nowadays every time a go over harsher areas of road it jars the entire car. It's getting pretty annoying. So I'm thinking about getting the air lift 3H system and most likely going to install it myself- as I've heard it's not much harder than installing coilovers. I was just wondering from other people that have experience on doing this on a ls430 with stock air ride how hard it is and anything to keep in mind, also wondering if it's going to doing anything to the computer on the car and if I have to leave any stock wiring or remove any stock wiring. Though it seems the sensors sit right on top of the strut? Any help would be great thank you
Old 01-02-17, 09:37 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ioneil2gs
Hey guys, so I've finally decided to get some aftermarket air ride on my 04 ls430. It's an ultra luxury with the stock air suspension. It was great when I got the car but nowadays every time a go over harsher areas of road it jars the entire car. It's getting pretty annoying. So I'm thinking about getting the air lift 3H system and most likely going to install it myself- as I've heard it's not much harder than installing coilovers. I was just wondering from other people that have experience on doing this on a ls430 with stock air ride how hard it is and anything to keep in mind, also wondering if it's going to doing anything to the computer on the car and if I have to leave any stock wiring or remove any stock wiring. Though it seems the sensors sit right on top of the strut? Any help would be great thank you
Sounds like one (or more) of the stock air shocks has failed. I don't have any experience with air suspension but doing an aftermarket install sounds like a major project.
Old 01-02-17, 09:38 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a UL too and driver's front strut started leaking. I went with the Air Lift 3P system and just had it installed last week. First impression is that it's a bit of a harsher ride compared to the OEM air. You get used to it after a while, but dips on the freeway are felt pretty hard. I know it has adjustable dampening and the shop that did the install for me said they set it somewhat soft. Hoping it can go softer though! Will look into it when I get a chance.

The installers left the OEM air compressor and all the OEM air lines in tact which is fine; they aren't affecting anything. OEM compressor was still trying to run though so they pulled its fuse and I have a height hi warning light now, but compressor is off. If they pull another fuse from the air system, the height hi warning goes away but there is a headlight leveling warning. They are going to look into a solution to see how to get rid of all the warnings.

But yeah overall I really love all the possibilities with the aftermarket system. Got to trek through mud and snow this weekend with the body lifted really high so only tires got dirty!
Old 01-03-17, 11:14 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by heathervb
I had a UL too and driver's front strut started leaking. I went with the Air Lift 3P system and just had it installed last week. First impression is that it's a bit of a harsher ride compared to the OEM air. You get used to it after a while, but dips on the freeway are felt pretty hard. I know it has adjustable dampening and the shop that did the install for me said they set it somewhat soft. Hoping it can go softer though! Will look into it when I get a chance.

The installers left the OEM air compressor and all the OEM air lines in tact which is fine; they aren't affecting anything. OEM compressor was still trying to run though so they pulled its fuse and I have a height hi warning light now, but compressor is off. If they pull another fuse from the air system, the height hi warning goes away but there is a headlight leveling warning. They are going to look into a solution to see how to get rid of all the warnings.

But yeah overall I really love all the possibilities with the aftermarket system. Got to trek through mud and snow this weekend with the body lifted really high so only tires got dirty!
What did it cost to do the convert? Also nice to see a woman LS owner. There don't seem to be many
Old 01-03-17, 02:47 PM
rrgone
Driver

Originally Posted by heathervb

Pulled wrong fuse perhaps?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post7351756
Old 01-05-17, 12:04 PM
heathervb
Rookie

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
What did it cost to do the convert? Also nice to see a woman LS owner. There don't seem to be many
I'm sure there are plenty of women LS owners but probably not so many under 60!

With everything included (all parts, shipping, tax, labor), it set me back approx. 4.8k

Originally Posted by rrgone
Could be. I think there are like 3 fuses related to the system? I'll try pulling the fuse 40A mentioned in the post you linked and putting the others back into place. I went back to the shop last night-- they were going to try to "unplug" the OEM compressor but found that my bumper needs to come off in order for them to do it. I said let's just wait until I do the 04-06 facelift then

In other news, I drove the car at lowest driving height possible last night and it was remarkably smooth. I've been driving at stock height with it all this time because I expected lowered height to feel like crap (I've been used to driving lowered on the stock air and on coils in my old car; both were terribly stiff/harsh). Would drive it lowered more often but already got an alignment done at stock height!
Old 01-05-17, 08:47 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Glad to hear the suspension has worked out well. Def helps to have a good shop! Also sounds like you know what you're doing. An 04-06 facelift? Oh, that's a major project. Don't see many women owners (any age) in here. I may start a thread and see. Based on the mods, am guessing you're under 60. However women seem to like and drive when there's an LS in the family.
Old 01-10-17, 05:48 AM
FEBE3000
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im also going from the original air suspension to a aftermarket setup by airlift since my right rear strut gave out when i bought it go figure.
The following users liked this post:
Hacc (05-16-21)
Old 01-29-17, 08:14 PM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 04 UL that I converted from stock air suspension to Airlift V2. I did the install myself in my garage on jack stands. Mine took a little longer because I did a custom wood rear floor with hardlines. I left everything stock in the car except for the struts. And there are a few fuses. If want to keep the "height hi" light off it can be done. I think I took the relay out for the compressor. But it's been a while so I can't remember what exactly I took out. I just took out a fuse then started the car to see if the light was on. It took me a couple of attempts till the light was off. As far as placement, I ran all the airlines under the car but above the plastic covers that go under the car. When I brought the lines into the wheel wells, I used rubber insulated, metal c-clips and self tapping screws. I got this stuff at Home Depot. When you run the air lines into the struts, put the fitting on the strut towards the inside of the car. This will keep the airlines close to the car and away from the moving parts like suspension and wheels. My struts came with a flexible, steel branded leader hose to come off the strut. That is a nice plus. Also, before you screw down the air hose, use a floor jack to move the suspension to what would be Aired Out. This will make sure that you have enough hose and that you won't pull the hose the first time that you slam it. When I did my car, I removed my rear inner fender liners and used a hole saw to get a place that the hoses could anger the trunk. Be careful about where you cut because the amp is on the pass side and the rear junction block is on the driver side. Also, when you have to make a turn with the airlines, leave a little slack. That nylon line doesn't like to be bent. I put the main unit for the air suspension under my rear AC unit in my trunk. Almost everything in my car is hidden. All you can see in the trunk is the tank and two hardlines. One more thing, make sure that you cut the lines straight or they might not seal well and might leak air.
Old 01-29-17, 08:19 PM
lildann
Driver

Here's my install.
Old 01-29-17, 08:24 PM
lildann
Driver

I also did the install on my wife's 2013 GS350 and then on her 2015 GS350.

Old 01-29-17, 09:56 PM
pnwbagd430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lildann

Here's my install.
whew! your setups are so clean, thanks for all the tips. I just bought the Air Lift 3H system a couple days ago. In about a week or so they should be be here and I'll be installing them soon after. Well actually I'll be having someone help that has done it before. Anyways, what kind of wood did you use in your ls? It looks so good, I'm wanting to do hard lines in the future as well
Old 01-29-17, 10:08 PM
pnwbagd430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lildann
I also did the install on my wife's 2013 GS350 and then on her 2015 GS350.

I was also wondering about getting another compressor, I got the 5 gallon tank with single VIAIR 444c compressor. Any thoughts if one will do the job sufficiently or if I should get another? Any help would be appreciated
Old 01-30-17, 03:40 AM
lildann
Driver

Actually, both trunks are laminate flooring. I don't think that actual wood would work as well because it can get scratched easier. We went to a local flooring store to find color that we liked. Then I got a piece of thin particle board to glue it down to. I put the flooring together using flooring installation tools. It's just a hammer and a plastic block that is designed to help you lock them in together. Then I glued it to the particle board using liquid nails. I put some heavy objects on it for 24 hours so that it cured. Then I laid the trunk mat over it and traced out the shape. After you cut it, test fit it in the trunk. Mine took several trims to get it to fit right and not be super tight. Our LS's have a full spare tire which I retained. I had to make a frame around the spare tire well to make sure that the floor sat level. I made my floor so that it can come out with just one line disconnected. This has helped me be able to work on it when I've needed to.

And yes, I would run two compressors. I have two 444's and my wife has two 380C's. My tank fills up from empty in about 2.5 minutes or so. Hers seems like it takes 5 minutes. It's a little annoying because the compressors seem louder on the wood floors.
Old 01-30-17, 03:51 AM
lildann
Driver

Here it is outside of the car.
I had a bad fuse that didn't blow and ended up melting a wire and two airlines. Had to fix it on the side of the road. The one pice floor was helpful when doing this because I just took it out. You can also see where I cut the holes in the wheel well to bring in the air lines. The holes are behind the fender liners do they are protected from outside elements.

Quick Reply: Installing air ride on LS430 UL