LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 LS430: navigation touchscreen issues (need help w/ replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 10:03 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 LS430: navigation touchscreen issues (need help w/ replacement)

Hello, I have a 2004 LS430. The navigation touchscreen has been acting up for some time now. It seems part of the touchscreen is like 'dead'. I will try to push on an area but it is not responsive. Also the screen will not click on where I actually touch. Another issue is, sometimes, the screen will randomly click by itself.

I want to fix this issue, and have been looking at replacement parts on eBay. But I'm not exactly sure what needs to be changed. Of course I only want to change just enough to get me a fully functional screen.

Do I need to swap out the whole navigation unit, or can I just change the 'LCD display'? Also, does anyone have any guide (with pictures?) on how to disassemble the dash to perform this task?

Old 12-28-16, 11:10 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I have an 04 and had temperature related display problems (took up to 5 minutes to work). If you do a thread search in here (use Nav display repair), there is a lot of info. Same also if you Goggle "LS430 Nav Display Repair". There are detailed instructions if you want to do the repairs yourself.

There's a So Cal company called "hitechserv". Can ship the whole unit to them. Worst case repair cost approx. 650. eBay purchase gets a display w/ no history, no guarantee. I found someone local and had them re solder all connections on the display unit circuit board. It was cheap (150 total) and it works.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-16, 02:36 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Do your research thoroughly as you don't want to spend big bucks to still have problems. I have found that the first series 2001-2003 have had few issues with the Nav on this forum... other than water leaking into the trunk area and affecting the reader. Not that many Nav's for the very early LS430s have issues. Make sure you have diagnosed your problem correctly before proceeding. Good luck and let us know how you made out.
Old 12-31-16, 05:19 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
I have an 04 and had temperature related display problems (took up to 5 minutes to work). If you do a thread search in here (use Nav display repair), there is a lot of info. Same also if you Goggle "LS430 Nav Display Repair". There are detailed instructions if you want to do the repairs yourself.

There's a So Cal company called "hitechserv". Can ship the whole unit to them. Worst case repair cost approx. 650. eBay purchase gets a display w/ no history, no guarantee. I found someone local and had them re solder all connections on the display unit circuit board. It was cheap (150 total) and it works.

Good luck.
Hello, yes I also notice the touchscreen is sometimes not responsive when it's cold out. It could take some time before it starts to respond to the touch. I will search for those keywords and see what I can troubleshoot on my end.

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Do your research thoroughly as you don't want to spend big bucks to still have problems. I have found that the first series 2001-2003 have had few issues with the Nav on this forum... other than water leaking into the trunk area and affecting the reader. Not that many Nav's for the very early LS430s have issues. Make sure you have diagnosed your problem correctly before proceeding. Good luck and let us know how you made out.
Hello, I've experienced issues with water leaking into the trunk and corrosion on some plugs around the navigation unit that caused some issues. I've repaired that myself. You can see the thread if you search my post history.

Last edited by mikevanle; 12-31-16 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-31-16, 11:10 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

I suggested the Google and CL search because you can get very useful information quickly. There are also some very knowledgeable people in here. Please ask if you have any questions. Good luck with it. Please keep us posted!
Old 12-31-16, 11:19 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
So it's just the 04? There are different parts numbers for this year so maybe the board was redone. Are there still possible NAV problems w/ an 05 or 06?
Old 10-21-17, 06:58 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Hello,

I thought I would provide a small update. The touch screen would work at times, tends to be when the weather is colder. I found a complete replacement unit for relatively cheap so decided to buy it. Swapped it out and now the touch screen is working fine. I suppose there might be a loose solder inside the original unit.
Old 10-22-17, 10:10 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mikevanle
Hello,

I thought I would provide a small update. The touch screen would work at times, tends to be when the weather is colder. I found a complete replacement unit for relatively cheap so decided to buy it. Swapped it out and now the touch screen is working fine. I suppose there might be a loose solder inside the original unit.
Glad to hear its working again, theres quite a few parts you can find for these cars on ebay pretty cheap. Its usually where I go for parts whenever I need a good replacement that doesn't break the bank.
Old 10-22-17, 10:49 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikevanle
Hello,

Glad to hear things worked out and for a reasonable price. I couldn't find a cheap replacement so went the repair route. No more problems.