LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Happily back in the LS430!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-16, 02:15 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Happily back in the LS430!

In Oct. 2015 I sold my '06 LS430 on eBay and almost immediately regretted the decision. If the LS430 isn't the best car ever made, it's certainly the best car that I've driven. So for the past 14 months I've been on a hunt to find an '05 or '06 that was as well maintained as my previous one. For me, this meant buying a one-owner from a Lexus dealership.

I found the car this week. I found it online at the dealership where I bought the '06. It's an '05 ML Briarwood Pearl/Ecru w/ sports suspension and SiriusXM. The car had 119k miles at the time of sale. I pulled the Lexus service history and found that the previous owner serviced the car every 5k miles at the selling dealership. No non-Lexus mechanic has ever touched this car! Every recommended service has been done. The TB/WP were done at 90k and, happily for me, the 120k service was done in November. It also has new trunk struts, new front brakes, and new rear struts. The previous owner had a broken rear sunshade replaced under warranty. The steering wheel motor was replaced earlier this year.

My timing was perfect. The dealership took the car in on trade on Tuesday. They took one photo and posted it online that night, which is when I saw it. I called the dealership at 8 am the next morning. They sent me photos and did a Facetime video with me on the phone. I negotiated the price via email and told them that I'd be there the next day to buy the car if I was satisfied with the test drive. And the test drive was great -- nice and tight with no rattles. I was a bit concerned that the sport suspension would produce a harsh ride, but that's not the case at all. I think SS has more to do with handling, which is great.

I only need to do two things to the car. First, I will replace the hood struts. A set from Strongarm will arrive next week. Second, I will have the driver's seat cushion rebuilt. I've done this before with a local auto upholstery shop.

Again, I'm happy to be back!
Attached Thumbnails Happily back in the LS430!-img_7602.jpg   Happily back in the LS430!-img_1175.jpg   Happily back in the LS430!-img_9009.jpg   Happily back in the LS430!-img_1173.jpg   Happily back in the LS430!-img_1176.jpg  

Old 12-22-16, 02:46 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

did not know ecru was available on ML trim. I thought it was only on CL or UL. my trim code is 4S1/LA07 I believe Briarwood Pearl / cashmere. thought cashmere was a material (goat fur), not a color. cashmere sweater can be any color.
Old 12-22-16, 02:54 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
In Oct. 2015 I sold my '06 LS430 on eBay and almost immediately regretted the decision. If the LS430 isn't the best car ever made, it's certainly the best car that I've driven. So for the past 14 months I've been on a hunt to find an '05 or '06 that was as well maintained as my previous one. For me, this meant buying a one-owner from a Lexus dealership.

I found the car this week. I found it online at the dealership where I bought the '06. It's an '05 ML Briarwood Pearl/Ecru w/ sports suspension and SiriusXM. The car had 119k miles at the time of sale. I pulled the Lexus service history and found that the previous owner serviced the car every 5k miles at the selling dealership. No non-Lexus mechanic has ever touched this car! Every recommended service has been done. The TB/WP were done at 90k and, happily for me, the 120k service was done in November. It also has new trunk struts, new front brakes, and new rear struts. The previous owner had a broken rear sunshade replaced under warranty. The steering wheel motor was replaced earlier this year.

My timing was perfect. The dealership took the car in on trade on Tuesday. They took one photo and posted it online that night, which is when I saw it. I called the dealership at 8 am the next morning. They sent me photos and did a Facetime video with me on the phone. I negotiated the price via email and told them that I'd be there the next day to buy the car if I was satisfied with the test drive. And the test drive was great -- nice and tight with no rattles. I was a bit concerned that the sport suspension would produce a harsh ride, but that's not the case at all. I think SS has more to do with handling, which is great.

I only need to do two things to the car. First, I will replace the hood struts. A set from Strongarm will arrive next week. Second, I will have the driver's seat cushion rebuilt. I've done this before with a local auto upholstery shop.

Nice car! Briarwood is a distinctive color. I had the same concerns about the Sports Suspension. After the classic soft 430 ride, it took time to adapt but there's not much real difference. SS is still freeway smooth and quiet but handling is much better. It feels more connected to the road. JMHO
Old 12-22-16, 02:54 PM
nedear168
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice...congrat on the new purchased! Briarwood is GREAT color and people saw it admit that it isn't just a brown color Lexus.

I have the exact same model year and color combo, except mine doesn't have the "SPORT" emblem in the front fenders, I love it since the day I bought it. Mine need to replace the front lower control arm rear bushing, I have that annoying steering wheel shakes at speed 55-65 mph!! Does your have the same issue?

Do you mind tell us how much your got it for??
Old 12-22-16, 03:14 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nedear168
Nice...congrat on the new purchased! Briarwood is GREAT color and people saw it admit that it isn't just a brown color Lexus.

I have the exact same model year and color combo, except mine doesn't have the "SPORT" emblem in the front fenders, I love it since the day I bought it. Mine need to replace the front lower control arm rear bushing, I have that annoying steering wheel shakes at speed 55-65 mph!! Does your have the same issue?

Do you mind tell us how much your got it for??
No steering wheel shakes at all! And I took the car up to 90+ mph. Smooth as butter!

Price: $11,600 + fees, TTL.
Old 12-22-16, 03:25 PM
nedear168
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No steering wheel shakes at all! And I took the car up to 90+ mph. Smooth as butter!

Price: $11,600 + fees, TTL.
Thanks for the quick reply, I checked my lower control arm bushing are all cracked may be that cause the shaking, I replaced / exchanged 3 sets of tires the shaking still persist, so it isn't tires issue.
Old 12-22-16, 03:29 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Welcome back to 3rd Gen LS, irishbrahm! Very nice 1-owner find. The ecru interior just screams luxury. Rare contrast with the briarwood pearl paint.

[I traveled to South Pittsburg, TN and bought a '05 moonlight pearl and ecru CL 52K miles in March this year.]
Old 12-22-16, 03:29 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
did not know ecru was available on ML trim. I thought it was only on CL or UL. my trim code is 4S1/LA07 I believe Briarwood Pearl / cashmere. thought cashmere was a material (goat fur), not a color. cashmere sweater can be any color.
The dealership's materials state ecru, and all of the seats (including the rears) have the perforated inserts as shown under "ecru" in the '05 sales brochure.
Old 12-22-16, 03:31 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom57
Welcome back to 3rd Gen LS, irishbrahm! Very nice 1-owner find. The ecru interior just screams luxury. Rare contrast with the briarwood pearl paint.

[I traveled to South Pittsburg, TN and bought a '05 moonlight pearl and ecru CL 52K miles in March this year.]
Awesome! It looks like between us we've owned a lot of LS430s!
Old 12-22-16, 03:33 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Awesome! It looks like between us we've owned a lot of LS430s!
Yes, add '95 LS400 and '90 LS400 to my priors ...
Old 12-22-16, 03:33 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Nice car! Briarwood is a distinctive color. I had the same concerns about the Sports Suspension. After the classic soft 430 ride, it took time to adapt but there's not much real difference. SS is still freeway smooth and quiet but handling is much better. It feels more connected to the road. JMHO
Thanks!

I think the Briarwood looks much better in person than it does in photos.
The following users liked this post:
bjchilds1 (11-27-21)
Old 12-23-16, 07:59 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

I found the car this week. I found it online at the dealership where I bought the '06. It's an '05 ML Briarwood Pearl/Ecru w/ sports suspension and SiriusXM.
Is the SAT radio after-market or dealer-installed (if you know)? Is the SAT antenna mounted on the roof near rear window glass (in the pics, there's a small black object there that looks like a SAT antenna.)
Old 12-23-16, 08:18 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom57
Is the SAT radio after-market or dealer-installed (if you know)? Is the SAT antenna mounted on the roof near rear window glass (in the pics, there's a small black object there that looks like a SAT antenna.)
Yes, it was dealer installed at the 10k mile service. The SAT antenna is mounted on the roof near the rear window glass.
Old 12-23-16, 10:07 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by nedear168
Thanks for the quick reply, I checked my lower control arm bushing are all cracked may be that cause the shaking, I replaced / exchanged 3 sets of tires the shaking still persist, so it isn't tires issue.
. I wouldn't rush to change ther LCA bushings. Check all else like ball joints even though tire's are usually the culprit. My LCA bushings have been cracked for years with no steering wheel shake or front end noises after 127,000 miles. Good luck.
Old 12-23-16, 10:18 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Yes, it was dealer installed at the 10k mile service. The SAT antenna is mounted on the roof near the rear window glass.
Interesting that the dealer-installed SAT antenna is located there. The Lexus SAT installation instructions call for the SAT antenna to be mounted on the left side trunk edge (really ugly location). The dealer SAT is really large too. Yours looks like the later manufactured (and improved) and unobtrusive micro mini SAT antenna.

I installed SAT in 2 of my LS's using the original dealer-installed tuner (Panasonic), and chose the micro antenna (like yours) and hid it under the 3rd brake light housing.

Quick Reply: Happily back in the LS430!