Pole Position

Received 397 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Good thread on 4th gen forum re: 430

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-my-460-a.html
Old 12-22-16, 06:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Without much skin in the game (owned my LS430 since Oct.), it would seem to me that the 430 in general has a lot over the 460.
Let's be honest, if a BMW or Mercedes Benz had the same reliability, even with the premium price tag, we would all buy them. That's a pipe dream. Note that thread mentioned a couple of 10k repairs on 7 series BMWs (I believe with the 4.4 V8).
When a Lexus starts having ABS pump failures, seriously, why not just get a BMW in the first place? The BMW is easier to DIY a job like that, imho.
Does our nav screens look like 1995? Sure. But you guys are saying and I think with proof and experience, that our 3rd gens can go 200k+ miles without too much fanfare.

I follow BMW closely, and can honestly say, the 2006-2010 3 series were the peak (we could even get into production month to say where the sweet spot was prior to cost cutting, it was late '08), and the cars have been in decline since. And folks that bought newer, more expensive cars, are just as defensive when anyone tries to say older was made better.

The newer cars. Fancier electronics? Yep. Better fuel economy? Yep. Cost cutting left and right? Yep. These are economic forces imho.
Old 12-22-16, 03:53 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
When a Lexus starts having ABS pump failures, seriously, why not just get a BMW in the first place? The BMW is easier to DIY a job like that, imho.
I fixed my brother-in-law's 2005 Honda CRV that had a faulty ABS modulator. I believe this was the first year that Honda incorporated what they called VSC (Vector Stability Control) into the car. I also think that 2005 might have been the only year that they sourced the ABS modulators from ATE Corporation just based on my anecdotal examinations of a limited number of CRV's in the local junkyard which had modules manufactured by Nissin. The dealer wanted close to $3600 to replace the controller. I thought that they were smokin' dope. After performing some internet research I found a module in a junk yard that I was able to purchase for $100 (Not as easy as it might sound because I had to find one out of a CRV with a manual transmission. I figured that roughly 4% of the CRV's made that year had a manual transmission).

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Does our nav screens look like 1995? Sure. But you guys are saying and I think with proof and experience, that our 3rd gens can go 200k+ miles without too much fanfare.
I think the nav screens look more like 2000 myself.

I would expect any car made in the last ten years if properly maintained to last 200K miles. The cost of maintenance and repair might vary depending on the manufacturer and model and some will look better than others at the end of that period but 200k should be easily attainable...
Old 12-23-16, 03:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
I fixed my brother-in-law's 2005 Honda CRV that had a faulty ABS modulator. I believe this was the first year that Honda incorporated what they called VSC (Vector Stability Control) into the car. I also think that 2005 might have been the only year that they sourced the ABS modulators from ATE Corporation just based on my anecdotal examinations of a limited number of CRV's in the local junkyard which had modules manufactured by Nissin. The dealer wanted close to $3600 to replace the controller. I thought that they were smokin' dope. After performing some internet research I found a module in a junk yard that I was able to purchase for $100 (Not as easy as it might sound because I had to find one out of a CRV with a manual transmission. I figured that roughly 4% of the CRV's made that year had a manual transmission).

I think the nav screens look more like 2000 myself.

I would expect any car made in the last ten years if properly maintained to last 200K miles. The cost of maintenance and repair might vary depending on the manufacturer and model and some will look better than others at the end of that period but 200k should be easily attainable...
The 2k5 CR-V came in a stick....sweet! My mom had that car, base LX....I remember she had to wait, because she wanted the LX with steelies, and every car was a EX on the lot. She paid $19,600 before taxes. Pretty sure the car was made in the UK, and unfortunately it was totaled in an accident. That's another 20 yr. car with maintenance, but I was unaware of the ABS.

Normally, I would be nervous about paying "real" money on an 11 y.o. used car, any car, but somehow, I'm comfortable with the LS430. I'm beginning to realize that folks assume it's a nice car, but they would never imagine anyone paying over 10k for one, they are thinking a few k! lol I'm just surprised that people think I paid $1,400, not 10X that!

If all goes well, our family is not looking for a car for at least 6+ years, we'll see. Got an extended warranty on my wife's 2011, and like clockwork, nothing has happened in 15 mos, of a 36 mo. extension....as far as 460's go, it looks like later is more reliable, so time is on a used buyer's side if eyeing a '14. Just wonder if anything is "special" about them.....it's alarming to see how poor the aerodynamics are on the newest GS. Our dentist has one....