LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Wrong Things To do in the Winter Season

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 10:54 PM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Wrong Things To do in the Winter Season

I probably made a the biggest mistake so far in this 2016 Winter season with my LS430. Even though I read about the touch screen navigation system and that its best not to touch it when it is cold inside the car as that could break the screen or cause it to glitch out, so let the car warm up before using it.
My big mistake was using the audio system before it had time to warm up and deciding to switch disks to which the system began screaming at me with a very unpleasant motor grinding noise. I then stupidly tried to switch it back to the original CD it had on first, but the audio system would shut off as trying to protect itself. So I decided to drive around with the system off, and let the car warm up. After that, the system worked fine.

So my big question is, what other systems should I not mess with when the car is cold?
Because I already know:
1. Let the car run a little at first to let the lubes and oils get flowing.
2. Big no-nos on the touch screen nav and audio system.

But what else...?
Old 12-16-16, 05:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Is it true that we can't use the touch screen when cold? It was 14F today and I used it right away.

I have always been told warming up a car is not necessary, and a waste of fuel and wear/tear. Drive immediately, but gently. No jack rabbit starts (an expression like that shows one's age, nobody says that today).

My best advice to any and all: Always remember fellas, don't take any wooden nickels!
Old 12-16-16, 05:18 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Most everything was designed to be used in all different temperature extremes, but as we know, time is our worst enemy with these systems. Good suggestion on the screen and allowing it to warm up. I might also apply this same rule of thumb to the climate control system. Let things warm up before you start using the vent oscillators, changing from vent to floor to defrost. My reasoning being that the motors that move the doors that direct airflow are quite cold, and old... Like many of us who drive these cars.
Old 12-16-16, 05:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

My tip--use synthetic 5W30.

I must admit, I used to take the Lexus engineer point of view and felt that synthetic motor oil did not meet econ101's test, where marginal benefit must be > marginal cost. But I've used synth since about 2007 on all our cars. When it's below 20F, I feel better knowing there's synth in my crankcase. And these days there always seems to be a rebate, bought Pennzoil Platinum for my wife's car, $25.xx a jug, $10 rebate. The rebate even came in about 2 1/2 wks. Might get another jug before 12/31/16, for the next change.

LS has Mobil 1 5W30 right now, it was what I had in the garage...
Old 12-16-16, 10:20 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

When it's cold, does the touch screen light up instantly or gradually increase from dark to fully lit?
Old 12-16-16, 10:51 AM
2KHarrier

My 2005 lights up right away, but the RX300 I had would be very dim, and gradually get brighter over the span of a few minutes.
Old 12-16-16, 12:10 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
When it's cold, does the touch screen light up instantly or gradually increase from dark to fully lit?
My 03' Nav does take about 10 seconds to brighten up fully from a cold start.
Old 12-17-16, 11:57 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Get a remote starter... I got mine used in 2004... it had a remote starter in it... best thing ever...

I start the car about 5-10 min before getting in it... It's warmed up and even the heated seats are nice and toasty...

It even helps in the summer, leave climate control set, kick of the remote starter 5-10 before you get in and you get into a nice cool car when it's 95+ out..
Old 12-17-16, 01:24 PM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Yeah I have noticed its darker, like a purplish color and over time brightens up to its original color. I think that has to do with the age of the screen.
Old 12-18-16, 12:34 AM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Another question I wanted to post here is what helpful tips for us RWD users in this cold icy situation? (Because I wanna make sure I dont wreck out in the cold)

Because I know some tips:
1. Keep it under 45mph
2. Don't brake hard because that will cause you to spin out/slide = CRASH!
SNOW MODE ...umm I guess that helps?
4. ....?
Old 12-18-16, 04:35 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by BTC89LS400
Another question I wanted to post here is what helpful tips for us RWD users in this cold icy situation? (Because I wanna make sure I don't wreck out in the cold)

Because I know some tips:
1. Keep it under 45mph
2. Don't brake hard because that will cause you to spin out/slide = CRASH!
SNOW MODE ...umm I guess that helps?
4. ....?
Those are good suggestions, in a heavy snowfall. The "snow mode' adjusts the transmission to start out in 2nd gear, to allow less wheel spin when you accelerate from a stop. It helps. It really does.

I've moved to snow tires this year, and man-o-man, am I glad I did! I'm amazed in the traction and stability I have driving in deep, fresh snow.

And we've had close to 20 inches in the last few weeks here. I really get surprised as to how easily the car pushes right through what ever is in front of it...
You may want to invest in a set of snow tires. There are plenty of threads on here that discuss them, and opinions on which ones are the best.

Braking should be controlled via the ABS system on slippery conditions, but it boils down to your first point about speed. The faster you travel, the longer the stopping distance.

Obviously clear windows are a must. Don't be "that guy" that leaves snow all over the back of the car and can't see out the rear window. Take the few minutes as the car warms, to clean off the snow. It may sound rudimentary, but I see too many drivers on the freeway everyday that don't bother cleaning the car off. Worst thing is the snow flying off their car when you're behind them.

I can;t think of anything else, but I'm sure someone will

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 12-18-16 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-18-16, 05:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

There's one thing I refer to as "know your car." When there is a good snowfall, take it over to an unplowed mall and slam on the brakes, do some donuts, learn how it behaves.

One interesting thing is the ABS stopped working on both my Maxima and BMW, but I seemed to instinctively know to no longer push the brake pedal through the floor under these circumstances. On my daily commute, there are people routinely cutting one off all the time (usually to bypass a line). this happened in the snow last year with my Maxima, and I noted I didn't even think, I automatically pumped the brakes. That is a no-no with ABS....(abs was not working)
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnhav430:
2KHarrier (12-18-16), BTC89LS400 (02-18-17)
Old 12-18-16, 08:57 PM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
There's one thing I refer to as "know your car." When there is a good snowfall, take it over to an unplowed mall and slam on the brakes, do some donuts, learn how it behaves.

One interesting thing is the ABS stopped working on both my Maxima and BMW, but I seemed to instinctively know to no longer push the brake pedal through the floor under these circumstances. On my daily commute, there are people routinely cutting one off all the time (usually to bypass a line). this happened in the snow last year with my Maxima, and I noted I didn't even think, I automatically pumped the brakes. That is a no-no with ABS....(abs was not working)
Honestly that is a really good idea, mainly because I get to drift and also do fun stuff but learn at the same time. My main issue right now is getting new tires, which hopefully happens before a big snow storm. Ugh, life of a college student with a luxury car.
Old 12-19-16, 04:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BTC89LS400
Honestly that is a really good idea, mainly because I get to drift and also do fun stuff but learn at the same time. My main issue right now is getting new tires, which hopefully happens before a big snow storm. Ugh, life of a college student with a luxury car.
dunno if you or your folks by chance belong to Costco, I can honestly recommend them for tires. They have them all, as well (order online and they are shipped to the store for installation).....I could find zero fault with their job, and the prices rival online, with them having the edge due to the warranty (1 yr. free replacement and I think it's 5 yr. pro-rata with road hazard)....

And, truth be told, I do not know how the LS430 handles in snow, because I've not encountered it yet since getting the car in Oct. So I need to do what I say!
Old 12-19-16, 02:56 PM
BTC89LS400
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
dunno if you or your folks by chance belong to Costco, I can honestly recommend them for tires. They have them all, as well (order online and they are shipped to the store for installation).....I could find zero fault with their job, and the prices rival online, with them having the edge due to the warranty (1 yr. free replacement and I think it's 5 yr. pro-rata with road hazard)....

And, truth be told, I do not know how the LS430 handles in snow, because I've not encountered it yet since getting the car in Oct. So I need to do what I say!
There's a TiresPlus near me that my dad and I go to get our tires replaced. And, I'm sure dad has some membership or discount thing, plus the work is really good. So generally, good work + discount = I'm sticking around here.

Quick Reply: Wrong Things To do in the Winter Season