LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Snow is here - Ballast

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-16, 05:37 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Snow is here - Ballast

I acquired a '02 GS300 for my 18 year old son. For winter driving, it is similar to my '03 LS430. RWD, almost new Michelin X-Ice snow tires and a snow switch on both the GS and LS. I have never had a problem with this setup in my LS but he is a relatively new driver and concerned about the Michigan snow. He asked for weight in the trunk. So, I put in two 50 lb bags of ice melter in the trunk just behind the back seat. The GS seemed more solid and planted in the snow in our recent 8" snowfall. Question is, has anyone done this in their LS? If so, did it make a difference? Thank you.
Old 12-13-16, 08:12 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I put bags of sand in my first (1990) LS but it didn't have traction control and no Lexus way back then had VSC or "snow mode" transmission setting. My next LS had "snow mode" transmission setting, VSC and traction control - adding weight to the trunk was completely unnecessary and I blasted through over 12" of fluffy unplowed snow in it although I high centered in it once in 15+ inch drifts just before I got to my driveway. We always carry snow shovels in our trunks in winter for digging out - currently some neat folding ones.

A problem with putting weight in the trunk is that it can decrease ground clearance - not good in deep snow.

X-ice tires have always been weighted towards dry pavement performance which is why I've long used Bridgestone Blizzak which emphasize snow and ice performance but don't do so great on dry pavement. Currently have Blizzak WS70 and WS80 on our vehicles.

Eight inches of snow is "nothing". I find driving on snow to be great fun ... have had lots of practice in the Michigan U.P. and Colorado mountains.
Old 12-13-16, 08:20 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I thought that putting weight in the trunk was an old idea....would think it's not necessary today. My understanding of the X Ices is that they are excellent in the wet, where a snow tire is usually not, and they have a 40k warranty which is not customary for snows. there are folks online who state that at 30k logged miles they are ready for another season. I have them btw but have not been in the snow yet with them. I am currently in Montreal driving a rental which has 4 bogus named snows, must have 10" or so--imho there is not really any way to evaluate them, they work. Snow is not fooling around, we used to go skiing if we got blasted with 27" in college. In retrospect, it's wise to stay off the roads in a snowstorm.
Old 12-14-16, 03:57 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

We don't see snow in the Gulf Coast area in Texas, but we have our shares of wet and slippery roads. The LS430 has Traction Control which automatically helps prevent rear wheels from spinning during acceleration, and the Vehicle Stability Control to automatically help provide supervisory control of the anti-lock brake system (ABS), traction control, engine control, etc., to prevent the vehicle from skidding when cornering on slippery road or when the steering wheel is turned abruptly. Both of these features had worked well for me in many occasions on slippery road.
Old 12-14-16, 04:51 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

No argument, the Bridgestone Blizzaks may be a little better in deep snow. Both the '02 GS300 w/77k and the '03 LS430 ML/Nav w/66k came with a set of Michelin X-Ice 3's with less than 1000 miles on them. For suburban metropolitan Detroit roads that are plowed, salted or sanded relatively promptly, the X-Ice's are fine. In fact, my '02 UL of blessed memory did very well for 6 winters with a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's.

While it may be unnecessary, the extra weight can't hurt and a little caution from a teenage driver regarding winter driving is a good thing.

Last edited by LS430Lexus; 12-14-16 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-14-16, 07:58 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko
I acquired a '02 GS300 for my 18 year old son. For winter driving, it is similar to my '03 LS430. RWD, almost new Michelin X-Ice snow tires and a snow switch on both the GS and LS. I have never had a problem with this setup in my LS but he is a relatively new driver and concerned about the Michigan snow. He asked for weight in the trunk. So, I put in two 50 lb bags of ice melter in the trunk just behind the back seat. The GS seemed more solid and planted in the snow in our recent 8" snowfall. Question is, has anyone done this in their LS? If so, did it make a difference? Thank you.
I put 150lbs in the trunk of my 2005 during the winter with 18 inch wheels on brand new Michelin All Season Premier tires. Car handled great in the snow up to 8 inches. I found leaving the traction control off actually worked better in snow especially going uphill and from a dead stop. I've had my car through 4 Maryland winters before I moved south.
Old 12-14-16, 08:17 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by bmore430
I found leaving the traction control off actually worked better in snow especially going uphill and from a dead stop.
I do like the traction control, but if your trying to pull out into traffic and can't accelerate because the tires are slipping and the computer retards power, it scares the bejeezus out of you...
Old 12-14-16, 08:27 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I do like the traction control, but if your trying to pull out into traffic and can't accelerate because the tires are slipping and the computer retards power, it scares the bejeezus out of you...
The traction control almost caused more accidents than it ever prevented in my experience. It would cut power going up hills at the tiniest slip and like you said with traffic around it would make you double check your pants. First thing I turn off whenever I get in the car.
Old 12-17-16, 01:12 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bmore430
The traction control almost caused more accidents than it ever prevented in my experience. It would cut power going up hills at the tiniest slip and like you said with traffic around it would make you double check your pants. First thing I turn off whenever I get in the car.
I don't disable it when I drive but, when I detect slip and the loss of power in traffic, it's an instant reaction (I have been driving this car for over 10 years now), to hit the VSC off button...

I really mean reaction, it happen the other day and I didn't think about it till I already had the button pushed :-/