LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Keep Your Eyes Out on the Salvage Front

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 02:17 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Keep Your Eyes Out on the Salvage Front

Lamentably, my 2005 LS430 Ultra Luxury was wrecked last November and eventually totaled. It had 98,000 miles and is/was Crystal White/Ecru. It had an absolutely perfect service history and the interior was in excellent condition. Simply put, everything works and works well.

The car was still drivable after the accident and I actually drove it without issue to my preferred collision shop. Amazingly, there were no warning lights are anything like that. With the exception of the drivers window, all the others are fine and I believe most if not all of the body parts on the passenger side are undamged.

I actually inquired about buying back the car from my insurance company and then decided with a rebuilt title that it was not worth the hassle. I replaced it with a 2007 Lexus LS460 that I am exceedingly pleased with and likewise has a complete dealer service history from 14 miles to now.

As I had to get the University of Georgia alumni foundation stickers from the windshield, I found out yesterday that it is still at the insurance companies lot of misfit mascots for now as they are waiting for the title apparently.

Once it clears those hurdles, there might be a tremendous opportunity for a 3rd gen 430 owner to either upgrade and or replace things like the nav screen or amplifier as literally everything worked perfectly.

I was a bloody nightmare getting fair replacement value given the 2005 started at $55,000 and mine sticked for almost $75,000. Only broke even because I did not have to pay sales tax due to purchasing it from my brother. In Tennessee, tax is not assessed when a car is sold to someone from your immediate family.

Once the parts are available and want to know if it came from my car, feel free to PM me and I will let you know if it indeed came from my car.
Best,
JQ

Last edited by Junglequac; 12-08-16 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-08-16, 04:26 AM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that your car was totaled.

a) Who was the insurance company?

b) What ended up being a fair value, for an '05 with 98K miles? It feels like I am prying into your financials but understand that this is a good benchmark to throw into this thread for others to use.
Old 12-08-16, 04:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

our in-laws had a Passat stolen and recovered, considered totaled. Because they had maintained it perfectly, I think they were in the same position. They worked it so they got the car back. It needed a new driver's door. I did not know that the title became a "total," and not sure that it even affected them since they wanted to keep driving the car. For me, it's weird that someone stole the car, did their business in it, and one got it back....I wasn't sure I understood the financials even back then. Say the car is worth 7 to you, and it's 5 as a total. If you keep the car through an arrangement, what would you even want? You got the car so we can't give you 5, I think it was we'll give you 2 and you keep it as is, and maybe they fixed it for $400 because they "knew somebody" and so they gained $1600? The implication is the damage was not as bad as insurance deemed or they could get away with fixing less. But we all know insurance wins always.
Old 12-08-16, 05:27 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
Sorry to hear that your car was totaled.

a) Who was the insurance company?

b) What ended up being a fair value, for an '05 with 98K miles? It feels like I am prying into your financials but understand that this is a good benchmark to throw into this thread for others to use.
A) Farmers
B) It was a pleasantly protracted negotiation as his original offer was a touch over $13,000 and that was figuring in sales tax! I could not purchase a quality 2000-2003 for that kind of money; let alone an Ultra Luxury. Regardless, after providing much substantiating documents, I ended up getting close to $16,400. In that way, I roughly broke even.
The following users liked this post:
tallcaguy (12-08-16)
Old 12-08-16, 05:38 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Yep, we've seen that.

We are Farmers.

Da-da-da-da... da-da-da
Old 12-08-16, 05:40 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

At least it ain't Geico!!!!
The following users liked this post:
2KHarrier (12-08-16)
Old 12-08-16, 06:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
At least it ain't Geico!!!!
That ****** Lizard Co!!!! (I know it's not a lizard but that's what I call them)

When my BMW windshield got cracked, they insisted I try a repair. I told the person it's on the driver's side, it cannot pass inspection if repaired. After 40 min. of telling me they won't do OEM, guess what, I got Saint Gobain Sekurit with the BMW logo. Today, it would likely have a Fuyao logo!

Since my LS glass is OEM lamisafe, I don't look forward to telling the hands people I want OEM Lexus....prolly gonna do the same routine but at least I have an agent and don't have to deal with an 800#
Old 12-08-16, 10:05 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

When a local tire shop backed my vintage MBZ into a wall, Farmers said they had no idea what it would cost to fix. Asked me how much I wanted and wrote the check.