LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Hi, what do you think is the best way to sell my 01 LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-16, 06:30 AM
AutoCapo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, what do you think is the best way to sell my 01 LS430?

Hi,
Just checking in, what do you think is the best way to sell a 01 LS430?

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by AutoCapo; 11-27-16 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-27-16, 08:25 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Hi Rick; Welcome to CL, even if it's just for a short visit... There are a number of ways to unload an unwanted vehicle. Craigslist is one way that I have found works well with lower priced cars. Many times people who are perusing Craigslist are looking to buy a car for less than 5 or 6 grand. I've sold both inexpensive cars and higher priced cars on CL and have gotten much better results with the cheaper cars..

There's also EBay, which offers a wider audience, but many times cars don't meet the reserve.

There's a for sale section here on Club Lexus, so there's that option.

Dealerships will buy the car, but you won't get what you want for it, obviously.

If we knew the year, mileage, options, etc. We could perhaps steer you in the right course.
Old 11-27-16, 08:42 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

When I decided to sell my G35 Coupe three years ago I placed a beautiful class act ad in Auto Trader ($150 ad) and one on Craig's List. Most of my calls came from CL and there's where the car was sold. FYI The sales price was $14,950 and sold for $14,250. I was surprised at the response from CL. However: Word of advice. Be careful to only meet at a public place preferably with a friend. Good luck.
Old 11-27-16, 12:56 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not advertise an expensive automobile on Craigslist. You'll get nothing but local "tire kickers" wanting to test drive an expensive automobile. Plus you run the risk of carjacking. I've had good luck on both eBay and Autotrader. You may not receive the bid that you desire on eBay but it's a good way to generate interest with a prospective buyer if you are willing to negotiate. Both eBay and Autotrader will reach possible buyers across the US. I sold a late model pickup on Autotrader to a guy about 800 miles away and received calls/emails from several others many states away.

The key is developing a very informative ad with pictures, pictures and pictures. Remember the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words." If at all possible, state a complete documented service/maintenance history.

I have a complete documented service/maintenance history, with all related receipts, on my wife's 2005 LS.

If possible, have an up-to-date Carfax or Auto Check for prospective buyers.

If you have the time and want to go to the trouble, I would have all the pictures, Auto Check report and a list (date and mileage) of service/maintenance history recorded on a CD. State in you ad that a CD is available for a nominal fee ($5.00?) for S&H. An interested buyer maybe hundred's of miles away and would hesitate to travel that distance just to gain more info.

Don't get in a hurry to sell. It has taken me up to 3 months to locate the model I wanted on Autotrader---1,000 miles away.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-16, 06:10 PM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

autotrader is good. I've also had good results buying and selling multiple cars on craigslist, often from 500+ miles away, and $25k cars FWIW.
take lots of high quality pictures, think about what differentiates your car from the others out there and make sure its clear in the ad. Study the market and price it reasonably and it will sell. No point trying to get more than it's worth because it won't happen, the market is efficient and buyers have lots of choices.
Old 11-27-16, 06:57 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Id start with your free options first. Craigslist and here on ClubLexus Classifieds are a good start.

Most important is detailed quality photos, providing a carfax/autocheck to buyers and your service/repair history.

Getting the car detailed before sale will also help value. Sometimes a 250.00 detail job will get you an extra 1000.00+

Good luck!!
Old 11-27-16, 07:52 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I've had good luck w/ Craigs. It's pretty easy to pick out good buyers by questions they ask, where they live and what kind of car they currently drive. I always meet people at the local grocery store (and during the day).

For the 01 Base I just sold, had a complete maintenance history (all owners), recent smog and CarFax. The car was spotless inside and out. TB, LCA's done. Perfect chrome rims. It took 3 weeks to sell it for what I wanted (8k). First class pictures w/ lots of detail make all the difference. Took all the pictures in a nearly country club (golf course, nice houses in the background). Several dealers offered me 6,500 for my perfect 01. I sold it privately for 8,000. I had zero response from my Club Lex ad.

Good luck!
Old 11-27-16, 08:38 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Sold two cars on ebay. Both sold before the auction was over. It became more of an advertisement than an auction because they both found buyers before end of auction. I personally don't like autotrader because many sellers don't remove their ads once car is sold. Most cars I ever call about have sold months before I call so i got discouraged and don't use the site. Ebay has hundreds of thousands maybe even millions of users. I know my ads got a few thousands views in a 7 day auction. Its cheap to list and you pay a final value fee only if auction completes with a sale. Otherwise it was like $10-15 to list it depending on the number of photos. One of the cars I sold on ebay was a 1997 Rolls Royce Silver Spur. Tried ebay and autotrader it sold in 5 days on ebay after a month on autotrader answering emails and calls from time wasters.
Old 11-27-16, 09:02 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've sold my last three cars on CL. Last was my 99 Dodge Ram 4X4 a few years ago. Met the buyer at my work, he test drove it and he came back the next day and counted out $6500 as we sat in the cab of the truck at my office. Good place as we have security guards and cameras there. Before that I sold my wifes old Camry for $5000. No problems whatsoever, just use common sense when talking to people on the phone before they come over.
Old 11-28-16, 06:24 AM
AutoCapo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I greatly appreciate all the prompt and detailed responses.
I've used craigslist in the past, my only hesitation is when selling a vehicle north of $10k on craigslist.
You get nothing but tire kickers via text, shooting you low ball offers without even seeing the vehicle.

I find that you get a higher caliber of buyer on paid sales sites such at AutoTrader / Cars.com.
The only issue is AutoTrader will place higher mileage dealer vehicles above yours, due to sales contacts and advertising etc.
Obviously its pay to play, which I understand its a commercial market....

I do like the idea of the CD with service records and photos....

I more than likely plan to list on ebay and craigslist and probably generate a web page with a large amount of photos for my ad.
01 LS430 with Navi and 73k miles.
Old 11-28-16, 11:28 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoCapo
I greatly appreciate all the prompt and detailed responses.
I've used craigslist in the past, my only hesitation is when selling a vehicle north of $10k on craigslist.
You get nothing but tire kickers via text, shooting you low ball offers without even seeing the vehicle.
These are usually scams. You contact the guy and he wants to send a shipper to collect the car. Of course, the shipper does not have the funds, and then he wants to send you a phony money order with "a little extra" for your trouble.
Old 11-28-16, 12:03 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I've sold just about every used car on CraigsList, including nicer cars north of $10,000.

I honestly think the "old" outlets for selling cars like AutoTrader and the local paper are sort of dead now and a waste of money. The last time I sold a car on autotrader, I got like 1-2 calls per month and pretty much stopped using it altogether. Maybe some markets are different than others, but autotrader in my area seems to be a waste of money and very few consumers really use it anymore. I never have a problem when selling a car on CraigsList getting a lot of responses.

But you will get the lowlifes responding to your car on CraigsList, but I would also get lowlifes responding to ads back in the day when it was autotrader and the local newspaper. Usually it was people offering to "sell" my car for me.

I'm just good about screening people and I also won't drive out of my way to "meet" someone in their part of town or on their schedule. That alone filters out a lot of the people not that serious about buying. I also don't negotiate with people that haven't even seen the car and just shoot a lowball offer.
Old 11-29-16, 07:44 AM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I've sold just about every used car on CraigsList, including nicer cars north of $10,000.

I honestly think the "old" outlets for selling cars like AutoTrader and the local paper are sort of dead now and a waste of money. The last time I sold a car on autotrader, I got like 1-2 calls per month and pretty much stopped using it altogether. Maybe some markets are different than others, but autotrader in my area seems to be a waste of money and very few consumers really use it anymore. I never have a problem when selling a car on CraigsList getting a lot of responses.

But you will get the lowlifes responding to your car on CraigsList, but I would also get lowlifes responding to ads back in the day when it was autotrader and the local newspaper. Usually it was people offering to "sell" my car for me.

I'm just good about screening people and I also won't drive out of my way to "meet" someone in their part of town or on their schedule. That alone filters out a lot of the people not that serious about buying. I also don't negotiate with people that haven't even seen the car and just shoot a lowball offer.
Exactly. You never drive TO someone, you make them come to you. That way they have at least some minimal time investment. The longer they have to drive to come see your car the more serious they are. Always make them come to you. Never, ever negotiate over email or the phone. I always tell people to come see the car and we'll talk. All deals are made in person.